INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB Track Submission Problem  (Read 1734 times)

Baron Samedi

• Recent member
YADB Track Submission Problem
« on: May 10, 2008, 06:45:10 am »

Track names with parenthesis are rejected when submitted to YADB :
for instance : One Summer Afternoon (for Gil Evans), Naima (feat. Wayne Shorter), I lost him (Ben Horn remix).
The problem is not coming from the other fields, for the same album the tracks without parenthesis are added.

I think this is rather new as i submitted such tracks 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'll say since 12.0.490 but i'm not sure of it.

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: YADB Track Submission Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:23:11 am »

Are you doing track submission, disc submission or cover art submission?

I need the artist for the track, and I'll check to see.

j

Baron Samedi

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:56:36 pm »

What's the difference between track submission and disc? I'm using "Submit track info into YADB", usually with all the tracks of an album selected.

Naima (feat. Wayne Shorter) is from Karibu by Lionel Loueke
I lost him (Ben Horn remix) is from The Moonshine Sessions by Solal

Thanks for the quick answer

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 04:27:38 pm »

This is part of a change that I hadn't mentioned here, it's still not complete.

Until recently, individual tracks were handled by a separate database than CDs.
Individual tracks are done by creating a finger print of the audio (so that the
encoding shouldn't matter), and looked up on a track by track basis. CDs are done
by creating a fingerprint of the entire CD, and looking up the entire CD at once.

I have merged the two databases into one, so that when improvements are made,
they are visible by both CD and Track lookup.  One of the drawbacks is that when
the CD data is not there, the track cannot be added (this is why I hadn't mentioned
it here, I'm working on a fix/aid for this part). Track Lookups still hit both, but submissions
are only done on the new.

So: both CDs you mention don't yet exist as CDs. If you have the discs handy, stick
them in the drive, enter the info, and they'll be submitted. Then wait a minute or
two and select the tracks, and submit the track info. Then YADB will have both
sets of data...

Thanks, sorry for the long-winded explanation...

j

Baron Samedi

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 03:26:03 am »

NP, this is interesting.

But i can see a problem : the albums i mentioned came from iTunes or eMusic, so i didn't ripped a CD to get them in J River.. as most of my music. Does this meant the full album info wasn't submitted? I think we need another menu entry for submitting an album!

MusicHawk

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 10:18:53 am »

>> If you have the discs handy, stick them in the drive, enter the info, and they'll be submitted. Then wait a minute or two and select the tracks, and submit the track info. Then YADB will have both sets of data...

The way MC behaves for me forces this process to be in reverse; does that mess up the YADB submission?

By "reverse", I mean, when I insert a CD, tell MC to rip it, and the CD isn't found in YADB, I get a message box that simply asks if I still want to rip it? There's no choice at this point to enter CD or track info, just rip yes or no. So I say yes, rip it, then go to the Recently Ripped view and change Unknown Album and Unknown Artist and song name, etc to the correct info. But does this mean I already skipped over the step where the CD and track info is submitted to YADB?

I know there's a workaround. I can bail out of the "not found, still want to rip?" message, then go to the CD drive, re-open the CD, and get the Edit Information option.  Would doing it this way update YADB? But this is much slower than accepting the "Unknowns" then changing them.

Of course, saying Yes to "not found still want to rip?", because it results in "Unknown Album", results in not finding a valid cover image. So it seems like the entire YADB process breaks down because "CD not found" does not consistently go directly to "Edit Information" before ripping.

If there's a setting I've overlooked I'll gladly change it!
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 10:24:25 am »

Baron - yes, we need another menu item for submitting a full disc info from the data in the database instead of from the drive.

MusicHawk - I'm not sure of the answer to your question, I'll check tomorrow.

j

Baron Samedi

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2008, 01:48:08 pm »

About MusicHawk reply, it happens to me too. When ripping CD, sometime i have the window allowing to enter the name, artist and so on, and sometime i only have the "do you still want to rip" error pop-up. In that last case, i reply no, edit the CD information and then relaunch the rip.
I never understood why i have these different behaviors when ripping unknown cds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up