INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mp3 encoder - Start Location  (Read 2208 times)

MadJewDisaster

• World Citizen
Mp3 encoder - Start Location
« on: May 27, 2008, 07:52:07 am »

Yes , subject looks quite strange ....

Here what i would like to know.

If i buy the MP3 encoder for ? $10 , i think

It is just an encoder i get ? Or kind of a 'registered' MJ , with Amazon not start location ?

Process same a before == restore if clean install?

thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Mp3 encoder - Start Location
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 08:15:43 am »

It's just the MP3 encoder.  No other changes.

Fiction

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 01:40:41 am »

I just got the mp3 encoder but it's acting funny.  I tell it to rip CD's at 192bps using CBR/ABR encoding and instead, it rips the songs at various bitrates--everything from 154 to 156 to 159 bps.  I haven't even heard of these speeds and I'm not sure why it's ignoring my instructions to rip at a higher rate.

What's going on here?  Why is it burning at different speeds?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MP3 encoder/ CBR Encoding
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 05:52:44 am »

Did you also select the "Restrict encoder to constant bitrate (CBR Encoding)" option?

If it is not ticked MJ uses the average bitrate mode (ABR). It is a restricted variable bit rate mode that tries to reach the selected average bitrate. However, if the audio content happens to be easy to compress the resulting average bitrate may be slightly smaller than the selected value.

The general consensus is that the unrestricted variable bitrate aka VBR mode produces the best quality/file size ratio. You select the preferred quality level and the encoder can use any momentary bitrate when it tries to keep the quality constant. The VBR mode does not have a specific target bitrate.

For instance, usually VBR "High" produces average bitrates that are in the 180-210 kbps range, but this can vary greatly depending on the audio content's complexity.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ajua

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 03:47:32 am »

VBR High quality is great. I think that now there is no need to use CBR anymore, except on audio or video projects, but for listening and archiving VBR (in all its presets) is more than enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up