INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem playing MKV with AC3  (Read 6029 times)

JONCAT

Problem playing MKV with AC3
« on: June 15, 2008, 12:35:25 am »

So check this one out. No problem playing .mkv files here. BUT, I tried something with AC3 (normally not a problem), and had to send it to VLC because I observed a blank screen with MC12.

VLC works for a bit but then I notice a major audio sync issue (which I tried to fix in VLC but then suddenly had no picture) after awhile.....go figure, so I send it to WMP on a whim, and NO !!!!! it actually works.

Talk about a head trip.

Seriously, what the heck is going on here?  I was laughing out loud that I had to resort to the always indefatigable WMP....

DC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problem playing MKV with AC3
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 07:55:52 am »

It's probably the DirectShow filter chain that is in use for each player.  They must be different.

JONCAT

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:53:32 pm »

I turned off Haali Splitter as a source in directShow settings (but left Cyberlink as decodeR)  and MC was able to play it.

thanks
DC

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:00:25 am »

I turned off Haali Splitter as a source in directShow settings (but left Cyberlink as decodeR)  and MC was able to play it.

Interesting. Haali normally would be the only source filter that works for mkv files. What source filter gets actually used?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

JONCAT

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 10:23:19 am »

Yeah, I'm just as confused I would never have thought of disabling Haali but I was desperate (and extremely frustrated). Let me look at it tonight.

DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 02:15:57 pm »

As a general rule, for h264 encoded mkvs, I use the following:

Haali renderer
Haali Splitter
CoreAVC Pro
AC3Filter for DTS/AC3 passthrough
FFDShow audio decoder for all else including AAC, mp3 etc.

Works very well for me. I found that as soon as I threw anything Cyberlink in there, I had to mess around even more to get things working as they should, and then performance would vary from file to file.

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 07:58:48 pm »

I switched between CoreAVC & Cyberlink and had the same probnlem; here is the graph after disabling Haali splitter (which allowed playback of this file in MC):

Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'E-DSP Wave [9F00]'
        CLSID: {E30629D1-27E5-11CE-875D-00608CB78066}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\quartz.dll
        Input Pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Out' of filter 'CyberLink Audio Decoder'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: C:\WINDOWS\system32\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Video Out' of filter 'CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'CyberLink Audio Decoder'
        CLSID: {284DC28A-4A7D-442C-BC2E-D7480556E4D8}
        Host: C:\Program Files\Cyberlink\PowerDVD\AudioFilter\Claud.ax
        Input Pin 'Audio In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Audio Out'
            Connected to pin 'Audio Input pin (rendered)' of filter 'E-DSP Wave [9F00]'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_PCM, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x)'
        CLSID: {F2E3D920-0F9B-4319-BE87-EB94CCEB6C09}
        Host: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\VideoFilter\CL264dec.ax
        Input Pin 'Video In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Video Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YUY2, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Output Pin '~Closed Caption Out'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'V:\Transients\test'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Audio In' of filter 'CyberLink Audio Decoder'

Filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'V:\Transients\test''
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Video In' of filter 'CyberLink H.264/AVC Decoder (PDVD7.x)'

Filter 'V:\Transients\'
        CLSID: {55DA30FC-F16B-49FC-BAA5-AE59FC65F82D}
        Host: C:\Program Files\Combined Community Codec Pack\Filters\Haali\splitter.ax
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Video'
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Media Proxy Audio'

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 08:02:21 pm »

I installed the Haali splitter (standalone newest version) after having installed CCCP. I think this may have been part of the problme.

BTW - Do you all get MC crashes when trying to run DXVA mode with either Cyberlink or CoreAVC for files with too many refframes? I used to just get  a black screen and know these files had too many reframes but now they crash MC completely.

DC

JONCAT

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

HOT DAMN! I was testing CoreAVC and I think DXVA is working whereas it was wholly broken with Cyberlink. I'm seeing less than 10% cpu...usually 2-5% with 1080P on all files that would crash MC with Cyberlink! I uninstalled the standalone version of Haali and re-registered the CCCP filters.

this is great,
DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 11:11:55 pm »

Well good work, but I'm pretty sure CoreAVC is just an optimised software decoder. In fact, it was made for those who don't have hardware acceleration and whose CPUs may be borderline. Still, let's not jinx what you have working!

JONCAT

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 06:40:34 am »

That's what I forgot to post. IS the hardware deinterlacing option essentially the same  the DXVA option in Cyberlink? When I enable this option in CoreAVC seems like the same cpu usage as when DXVA works. Probably a big assumption  on my part...

DC

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 08:42:10 am »

That's what I forgot to post. IS the hardware deinterlacing option essentially the same  the DXVA option in Cyberlink? When I enable this option in CoreAVC seems like the same cpu usage as when DXVA works. Probably a big assumption  on my part...

DC

I don't think so. The DXVA of Cyberlink (and now the Media Player Classic's own filter,  which can be downloaded free and registered for use within any player including MC) uses a capable CPU for decoding. For the nVidia PureVideoHD/HD2 cards that's really just h264 acceleration. For the ATi Avivo cards it's h264 and VC-1. I think both camps do mpeg2 as well. The cards also deinterlace the signal, I believe.
The CoreAVC option for hardware deinterlacing allows the cards to deinterlace the video, but CoreAVC to decode.

[Rest of post and the following reply moved to the Cheap Thrills board by JimH]

JONCAT

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 09:13:23 am »

Interesting that the interlacing is done on card; I have an ATI 3850 and I'm pretty sure I was seeing a substantially reduced cpu load.

DXVA used to work for the free video "Elephant's Dream"; an animated movie in .mkv container. Now when enabled in Cyberlink it crashes MC upon this file's playback.

Why doesn't CoreAVC have an option enable/disable DXVA.

I'll possible try this patch, but I have SP3 installed for XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888656

I wonder if it's a rendered issue that's breaking DXVA; I'll try switching tonight (does VMR9 renderless work for you guys? I get a black flickering screen?)

JONCAT

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 10:32:41 pm »

It's the Enhanced Video Renderer when used on XP.

If I use VMR 9 with DXVA enabled in Cyberlink, it will playback without crashing.

Seems like CoreAVC is still better on cpu though.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up