INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sync not copying all songs when deleting files first and then syncing  (Read 3965 times)

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe

I have 3 ipod videos and an 80 gb classic that I put on about 6000 songs on through syncing of playlists.  The ipods have identical music/playlists  I periodically delete all the files on the ipods and resync to playlists.  I have found that syncing behavior no longer works correctly unless I eject the ipod after I delete but before I sync.  I think it used to work correctly, because I never used to eject after deleting (however, I also had fewer songs in the past).

If I eject the ipod after I delete all files, I will have an empty ipod.  I then reconnect and it syncs fine.

However, if I delete all files and synch without ejecting in between, the sync misses about 150 files (various playlists) and I have to resync to get the remaining 150.  I did a video and a classic with the eject process in between delete and sync and had no problem  I did two video ipods without eject and both missed the 150 files (I believe they were the same files).  I do not know whether or not those files were on the initial sync list or not.  If need be I could delte another Ipod and test.  Let me know if there is any value to this.  P.S.  The songs are missing without the 2nd resync.  They were on the Ipod before the delete and on the first resync, the Ipod is short those songs and the Ipod stats are short the same 150 songs.
John

SwellGuy

If you initialize the iPod instead of deleting all of the files, does it behave correctly? This does not address the problem at hand but it may be a viable alternative that is actually a lot quicker.

jack wallstreet

I appreciate all you do.  I will do the test you suggest and check some other things also and report back.  It may take a week.
John

SwellGuy

Are you converting during transfer?

jack wallstreet

No, I am not converting.  Everything is an MP3 and all are associated with playlists.  I just make sure my playlists are checked (which is 100% of them) and off I go.
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Try doing a sync that leaves more (10% ?) space left.  We think it could be related.

jack wallstreet

Update of status based on 512: 3 tests follow

1. Used a Ipod 80 gb video player updated with latest firmware
2. Had 6277 songs (about 60% full), all mp3
3. all tests below were in sequence shown

test 1
       Initialized the Ipod
       synced to about 350 playlists without disconnectng cable first
       worked fine - all 6277 were synced

test 2
       deleted these 6277 songs after disconnecting cable and then reconnecting
       synced without disconnecting cable first
       worked fine - all 6277 were synced

test 3
       deleted these 6277 songs after first disconnecting cable and then reconnecting
       sync queue immediately showed 6274 songs to be synced (3 less than should have been shown)
       pressed resync - the sync note immediately changed to 6277
       Worked fine - all 6277 were synced

In the previous examples before these formal tests, over 100 files were not synced, but I neved had pressed resync and I had not looked at the sync count before actually syncing so I don't know what it said.  From the examples above (only 3 tests), it seems there may be a somewhat inconsistent problem.  I will do more tests as time permits and let you know. 

Update edit

test 4  This test was on an Ipod classic, latest firmware
      Connected it and initialized from MC (as with the other Ipods)
      The sync list immediately reported 6277
      Sync actually did 6277, no issues.

John

SwellGuy

Deleting a lot of files can take a long time. It's possible that MC was still working through deleting the files and updating the database when the sync status was posted - missing a few files still in flux. Initializing the iPod is a much more efficient way to wipe out all the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up