INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interaction: MC and a DAW  (Read 1152 times)

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
Interaction: MC and a DAW
« on: June 17, 2008, 06:20:45 pm »

Hi there,

I was wondering whether anyone has installed to success MC on the same computer as their DAW.

At present, I am blindly following a rule of thumb, which is to avoid installing non-essential software.

I could install it of course, MC, and then remove it if it causes problems, but I thought I'd check here first and save myself the hassle if there are indeed known issues.

If it helps, I'm running Cubase SX3 on an XP machine with a variety of VST plug ins.

Many Thanks,
VBrook

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Interaction: MC and a DAW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:24:06 pm »

DAW=Digital Audio Workstation ?

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 06:29:38 pm »

DAW - Digital Audio Workstation, yes. Sorry, should have specified.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:58:40 pm »

I don't think MC alters any OS level audio components or installs anything that would run when MC is closed.

During installation it may try to download and install the latest version of MS Windows Media codec package if you have not updated the WM codecs. That shouldn't be a problem, but if you have a specific reason to use an older version of the WM codec package you can preserve it by disconnecting the PC from Internet before running the installer.

If you don't want to associate some of the default file types with MC select the custom install option and untick the file associations you want to preserve.

EDIT

I don't know if my work PC qualifies as a full-fledged DAW as I don't have any proprietary pro HW components, but I use regularly Steinberg Wavelab, Adobe Audition and Adobe Premiere Pro for audio and video projects. I have not noticed any problems that would be caused by MC. (Except that for avoiding occasional instability it is better to close or at least stop other audio player programs before starting Adobe Audition, but this is not specifically related to MC.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 08:32:55 pm »

Cheers, Alex, very helpful to know.

Shall proceed with installation!

Good point about the file associations. In my case, I'll uncheck WAVs and perhaps a few others. My audio in Cubase is output to wav, and I've associated wav with VLC Media Player (which is a tiny, non-library-centric program) so that I can double click a file in Explorer and quickly hear it.

V
Pages: [1]   Go Up