INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with unicode characters?  (Read 2540 times)

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
Problems with unicode characters?
« on: June 20, 2008, 04:24:03 pm »

Hello, i experience a problem in mc with tagging files with unicode letters.

First of all, i've set my regional settings to support Greek language (as my main language is greek anyway :P). By doing that i can tag flawlessly all of my greek songs without errors. Now the problem is, that i've got many russian/ukrainian songs as well which MC can't tag at all. if i change anything from such songs, MC will show an error saying "Media Center encountered errors while tagging and moving files. Check that the files exist, are not read-only, and are not in use by other programs" and on the next  mc start, the file names of those files get replaced by tons of question marks in library (the file names still show ok). If i switch unicode support to let's say Ukrainian in regional settings, i can flawlessly tag russian/ukrainian songs, but it will throw the tagging error, in songs with greek characters in it.

This error troubles me since the very first betas of MC12. Does anyone know of a way to get over it?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Problems with unicode characters?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 04:36:32 pm »

Media Center is fully Unicode, so I don't understand why this would be.

Could you zip and email a file that won't tag to matt at jriver dot com?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 04:41:48 pm »

Media Center is fully Unicode, so I don't understand why this would be.

Could you zip and email a file that won't tag to matt at jriver dot com?

Thanks.

Done. An e-mail from spyros.g at gmail dot com  should arrive to you shortly. Thanks for taking the time to look into it! Those files wont tag no matter what not even if i just change the rating on them or try to add a cover art.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 04:53:38 pm »

I attached a screenshot of the error in action as well, in case it can be of any help.

By SpyrosG

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:02:06 pm »

I'm not able to reproduce the problem.

The file imports, plays, and tags fine.

Is drive J:\ a network drive that could be causing us issues?  What if you put the same file at C:\.

Any other ideas anyone?

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 05:09:14 pm »

I'm not able to reproduce the problem.

The file imports, plays, and tags fine.

Is drive J:\ a network drive that could be causing us issues?  What if you put the same file at C:\.

Any other ideas anyone?

Hmm, that's weird. I made a copy of the mp3 i sent you in c:\ (just c:\trackname.mp3) and opened it with MC. It tagged fine. Drive J:\ is a usb2.0 WD Mybook 320gb external drive and the folder hierarchy i use to organise my Mp3s is "J:\My Music\category\Genre\Artist\Album\01.trackname.mp3". So for instance, for the file i sent you, the path in my HDD would be "J:\My Music\Metal\Gothic\Dark Princess\Stop My Heart\11. Нас Больше Нет.mp3" I still can't tag that file in that location. I checked for read only attributes, it's all clear.

Maybe the problem involves long pathnames or something?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 05:16:04 pm »

A few years ago, we saw a similar problem that was related to a bug in Samba, which some storage devices used.  You might want to check the manufacturer to see if there is a software or firmware update.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 05:37:29 pm »

A few years ago, we saw a similar problem that was related to a bug in Samba, which some storage devices used.  You might want to check the manufacturer to see if there is a software or firmware update.

The bug in Samba from what i found out, was about NTFS file system in external storage devices, locking the read-only attributes etc...That's interesting! I'll try to re-format my wd external drive back to Fat32 and i'll get back to you with the results. Thanks for your time!

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2008, 03:23:22 am »

Good Morning! After a night full of trial and error stuff, converting my drive to fat32 and back to ntfs, searching through the net for anything i could find, i actually tracked down the problem! In my pc and for performance reasons, i always disable the ntfs 8:3 Filenames legacy support - well we live in 2008, what app would ever need it?:P - and after re-enabling it, rebooting a re-copying the files that wouldn't tag just to reflect the filename change, MC now tags everything correctly!

Now, i don't know why media center would be dependant to 8:3 Filenames format, but this change solved all the tagging problems i had with those specific mp3s!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2008, 07:25:40 am »

Good Morning! After a night full of trial and error stuff, converting my drive to fat32 and back to ntfs, searching through the net for anything i could find, i actually tracked down the problem! In my pc and for performance reasons, i always disable the ntfs 8:3 Filenames legacy support - well we live in 2008, what app would ever need it?:P - and after re-enabling it, rebooting a re-copying the files that wouldn't tag just to reflect the filename change, MC now tags everything correctly!

Now, i don't know why media center would be dependant to 8:3 Filenames format, but this change solved all the tagging problems i had with those specific mp3s!

Thanks for the update.

We'll take a look at the code, and see if we can tell why short-filenames would matter and if we can handle this case better.

johnpapkones

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2008, 03:39:19 am »

Hi, when a file plays the media center can't rename it and appears this message.Is this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up