INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: J River Media 12.0.497 - Incorrect Video Thumbnails, Replacing Each Other  (Read 2417 times)

Tolerant

• Recent member

I purchased J River Media Center 12.0.497 Today and after spending a great deal of time adding Cover Art for video files am very upset. I almost want a refund at this point because this software is not working properly on Windows XP Pro. If I had known this program would not function as intended I would not have spent close to 40$ for it.

When I paste an image from the clipboard for example, it shows up in the Cover Art folder as: "- 6_25_2008.jpg". When I paste a totally diffrent picture onto a diffrent video file, it ALSO gets placed in that folder as: "- 6_25_2008.jpg". Instead of two unique pictures with diffrent file names, I am left with only one file which is the most recent that I pasted.

I have tried removing the Cover Art for both files and then repasting, I have tried removing the video file and reimporting the file, I have tried changing the file name on one of them but nothing is working to give them both their own Cover Art file.

This is a problem because sometimes when importing or even trying to copy TO the clipboard from within the program, It pulls up the wrong images, often replacing a LOT of my video files Cover Art with multiple copies of the same images.

My video files are all seperated into their own folders as well.

So my questions are:
1) How do I fix this issue?
2) If this cannot be fixed, how do I get a refund?

Thanks for your time.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

There is a solution. You're not alone in thinking that the way MC handles video thumbnails can be improved. It behaves the same way as audio thumbnails if you have certain options selected. I really have to run right now, but later i can point you to the thread where a resolution is shown. In the mean time, look for topics started by me with 'video thumbnail' in them.

Here it is:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46695.0

You should also upgrade to the latest version on MC12.

Tolerant

• Recent member

I am using the latest version of MC12, as I stated I just purchased it today and have checked for updates as well. 12.0.497 is the latest release version. There are no options to download beta versions, and not sure I would want to if the release version has issues itself.

I have read the thread you linked to, however I can not understand any "solution" if indeed there is one mentioned.

What I need to know, is why "paste from clipboard" onto Video file #1, creates a dated filename in Cover Art, but then "paste from clipboard" (after copying a new image to the clipboard from my webbrowser) onto Video file #2 creates the exact same dated filename File in Cover Art which totally replaces the first File.

Do I need to remove the entire program and all registry strings? Or do I need to manually edit some tags on each and every file? Do I need to edit the actual files themselves because of some hash check that is matching? Do I need to change the date/time the files were created? Do I have to start saving cover files into each video files folder instead of paste from clipboard?

This problem I am having is happening between quite a few of the video files I have and a solution that will not require hours of work to solve would be great. I have already had to redo these image files multiple times and it is becoming frustrating.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

If there is a problem, it's news to us, but please be patient and we'll get it sorted out.

Fitbrit was suggesting that you try the build from the top of the MC12 board.  It's build 518 now.

Tolerant

• Recent member

If there is a problem, it's news to us, but please be patient and we'll get it sorted out.

Fitbrit was suggesting that you try the build from the top of the MC12 board.  It's build 518 now.

I did upgrade to 518 and the problem persists.

In clear simple terms please, what is causing "paste from clipboard" on diffrent video files to write into the Cover Art folder as files that already exist?

Additionally, "Copy from clipboard" while selected on video files, also copies the wrong Cover Art as well for those affected files.

Did I leave out some details or information that would help to resolve this issue? If so please let me know what you would like to know.

If I paid for software that does not work as intended without a resonable fix, then who do I contact about getting a refund?

JimH

• Administrator

Mr. T,
It would help a great deal if you would just report the problem without the implied threats.  You don't need to pound on the counter to get good help here.  fitbrit is an expert in video use, for example.  He answered in 35 minute.  He doesn't work for JRiver.  I do.

If you want to stop now, just send me an e-mail.  I'm jimh at jriver 

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

I explained the problem (yes, it is an MC problem) in detail in the thread that fitbrit linked.

Basicly the problem is caused by the default cover art naming scheme that is originally designed for audio files. If the video files don't have the artist and album tags it is possible that pasted cover art overwrites an earlier cover art file because MC creates default album tags from the file date.

For now, the workarounds are:

- don't paste from clipboard. Save the files to disk and link from there. The easiest way to link them is to follow my instructions in this post: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46695.msg321372#msg321372

or

- tag the video files at least with the album tag before pasting cover art from clipboard. In this way you can easily use the same cover art file with all video files that belong in the same "album".

or

- use one of the naming options that store cover art in the file's folder. In this case each video file or bunch of video files with the same cover art file must be in separate folders.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird

BTW, JRiver has not promised that you can use the automatic "Artist - Album.jpg" cover art naming option with untagged video files. Actually, I don't think it is stated anywhere that you can use cover art with video files. By default MC creates thumbnails from the video content.

However, I am sure JRiver wil fix this problem sooner or later. I think it would be best to create fully separate naming options for video cover art.

EDIT

I don't work for JRiver either.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

JimH

• Administrator

Thanks for the help, Alex.  We'll take a closer look at this next week.

Tolerant

• Recent member

- tag the video files at least with the album tag before pasting cover art from clipboard. In this way you can easily use the same cover art file with all video files that belong in the same "album".

Thank YOU Alex B. This was the solution I was looking for as well as the cause of the problem. It was an issue with the video files having the same "Album" in the Tag, which for whatever reason was various dates, which of course other video files had as well and MC12 thought them to be the same "Album" and replaced the image every time I tried to fix them.

Fitbrit, thanks also for your attempts to steer me to the correct information and I understand as you said that you had limited time. That whole long thread was just a bit much for me to try to figure out, but netherless thank you for trying.

JimH, you need to take a moment and figure out if you are tired or in a bad mood before you reply to people, especially if you work for this company. A consumer asking for a refund if his issues cannot be fixed with a product he pays for, is NOT a threat. It is a consumer's right to get what he pays for. There was no counter pounding only replies to replies and there were no threats, only an honest question as to how I would get a refund if this software was not working as intended. Seeing as this was the very first day I am using the full blown version, I think it was well within my rights to inquire about a refund if it came to that rather then waiting more then 30 days and being told I had waited too long. If your personal involvment in this program gets you so uptight that you cannot respond to honest questions without thinking people are out to get you, threaten you or otherwise make your life hell, then perhaps you need a break for awhile.

Again, thanks to those who helped or tried to help, hopefully this small issue will be resolved in future versions and other users will not run into the same problems I had.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Hi Tolerant.
Sorry, I was on a tight schedule at the time, but I've returned home now. Alex was instrumental in helping me sort out the issue, and as I've learned more and more about the program, I've also discovered that having an entry under 'album' for video files is a good idea. Or rather it's a work around, which isn't ideal, but it does function. Now, for example, if I have a TV show with a uniqiue name per episode, I will be sure to use the library tools> move/copy fields feature to fill in album from the [name], or [series] or whatever field distinguishes the cover art from other cover art files. That feature makes it painless to fill out the [album] field with data from a more relevant field. For some shows, I have the same cover art per season, and others per episode. Now, 'album' is probably a non-sensical term to have in a video playlist, so I don't even have it visible in my view scheme; it's just advisable to have it filled out. I've been wanting this behaviour of MC to change for a while now, but really it's only now after months of using MC at a superficial level that I'm understanding its power and flexibility.

I know Jim can speak for himself, but cut him some slack; you may be 'tolerant' and remain calm, but I've seen quite a few 'customers' on these forums lose their cool, and spout a load of crap directed against J River without giving the software - or these forums - a chance to address their complaints. Most often these are people who're still on the trial version and haven't parted with any money yet, either. I'm sure Jim deals with a lot of these attitudes, and might have pigeon-holed your responses as one of 'those' users that we (non J River staff) forum users roll our eyes at.
One of the things that I love about this software is that real issues get dealt with. If forum members bring some feature up which others agree with, the staff look into the feasibility of implementing it. The frequency with which things are fixed, changed or added to is worth the cost of admission alone. (Hopefully) welcome to the club. :)

Tolerant

• Recent member

Thanks for trying to sort out the issues with the cover art and video files Fitbrit, if I knew more about this program I might have been able to figure out the thread you first pointed me to. AlexB put it rather simply though in his response in this thread, hopefully it will help others who have the same issue until it gets resolved.

I really cannot understand why the album field had to be auto filled out at all when adding a video file, it caused such havoc, but perhaps that will change in future releases. I do find it hard to believe this is the first anyone has heard of this issue considering the threads about it already started.

Thankfully I don't care about audio file and TV Show covers, so I don't have to go through as much effort to see what I have to watch. When I do get cover art its from the web so its a lot simpler to just hover and copy, then paste onto the file icon in my library. Saving files to disk and going to that location or dragging them after I have already saved them.. or even saving them all into separate files seems so much more time consuming then just copy/paste. Granted, I did have to edit all of my tags to the basic name of the file, but more then willing to do that if it means my images stay correct from now on.

[edited by Matt to remove three paragraphs of commentary not relevant to the technical issue]

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!

Glad to hear you got it working.  Locking this thread now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up