INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 12.0.520  (Read 7792 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Media Center 12.0.520
« on: July 03, 2008, 08:45:44 am »

This is the latest version of MC 12.0.  Any MC12.0 license will work with it.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

This latest build (usually safe) of MC12.0 is here:
ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/MC12/MediaCenter120520.exe

12.0.520 (7/2/2008)

1. NEW: "Play stack" option added to stack menu.  (Will play all files in a stack.  Only appears on a single selected file.)
2. NEW: UPnP Search For Servers will respond to UDN/UUID requests.
3. Changed: Updated Dutch language file (thanks Daan Smit).
4. Fixed: Database could lose field data during a period of very high database activity. (only applies to build 518)
5. Fixed: MC icon in Windows Vista volume mixer was too wee.
6. Fixed: Unable to transfer files to iPhone and iPod Touch (introduced in 12.0.517).

12.0.519 (6/27/2008)

1. Changed: In a view scheme, 'Album Artist (auto)' will display as simply 'Artist'.
2. Changed: Dropdown Panes bold selected items.
3. NEW: Tabs and non-tab view headers use the same text sizes and weights.
4. Changed: Tabs and list groupings better adjust to larger fonts.
5. Fixed: When tagging an MP3, an empty replay gain value would get saved to the tag as +6.0 dB.
6. Changed: The Photo Printing Wizard always lists large print sizes in the available layouts, and shows a warning when selected if they don't fit on the paper in the printer.
7. Fixed: iPod Photos were scrambled when showing them on a TV.
8. Changed: Acquiring images from cameras via WIA now imports more media types including RAW images.
9. NEW: Added experimental library browsing system that merges Dropdown Panes and the existing tile browsing. (won't stay in version 12 -- will return in version 13)

12.0.518 (6/26/2008)

1. Fixed: Problem in DVB-T TV playback in recent builds.
2. Changed: Video zooming allows zooming out to much smaller size.
3. Changed: Switching to a stopped zone while in Display View will no longer switch to Standard View.
4. Changed: Various tag values display as "[Varies]" instead of Artist Varies.
5. Fixed: When emailing an image, EXIF rotation was not applied to rotated images.
6. Optimized: Database uses less memory.
7. Fixed: FormatBoolean(...) information tooltip had a typo.
8. Fixed: Files with artists that have the articles "a" and "an" at the end (i.e. "Perfect Circle, A") always want to resync to iPods.
9. Changed: Reversed a previous change in VMR9 Renderless Mode.
10. Fixed: MC crashed with "buffer overrun" error when user right-clicked video window on Vista. Build 12.0.517 only.
11. Changed: Update library from file tags checks if the internal image could actually be loaded.
12. Changed: Updated German language file (thanks Bytestar & Daniel2k).
13. Changed: Added Import/Export functionality to the search wizard dialog.
14. Fixed: In DX video playback, "Playback Info" entries (Zooming, Aspect Ratio etc.) were not properly saved to database unless Stop command was issued.
15. NEW: Added right-click "Zoom" submenu and MCCommand for zooming to preset levels in DVD and TV (not saved in database yet).
16. Changed: Renamed "Panes On Top (thin)" to "Dropdown Panes".
17. NEW: Dropdown Panes are integrated into the tab / view header.
18. Changed: File associations page of installer is shown on a fresh install, even when "Express install" is selected.
19. Fixed: Clearing the search box with multiple tabs open would not always update the view properly.
20. Changed: When acquiring images from a camera, images previously transferred are skipped.

12.0.517 (6/18/2008)

1. Fixed: Some streams (with ICY metadata) played with regular "hiccups"
2. NEW: Right-click menu for DX video playback to change display settings (display resolution, bit depth, frequency). The settings are saved in database and automatically applied next time the file is played. Experimental, may be removed if it proves to be more trouble than beneficial.
3. Fixed: Added several safeguards to correct problems when filling an iPod to capacity.
4. Fixed: Typed navigation using non-English characters did not work properly in lists, the tree, or drop lists.
5. Changed: Panes On Top (thin) draw flat until mouse-over.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
Re: Media Center 12.0.520
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:37:51 am »

1.  The "Move / Copy Fields..." dialog doesn't honor the custom name of renamed fields.
Take a look here for more detailed Info.

2.  Trying to copy mp3s from a CD to another location using "Rename, Copy, and Move Files" doesn't work but gives the message
"Not all of the selected tracks can be renamed."
So if I have a mp3-CD I first have to copy all mp3 to a writetable Drive and then move (or copy) all files using some rules in "Rename, Copy, and Move Files".

3.  One minor thing: Changing the volume without using MCs slider (eg. by using a remote control or the vista volume control) doesn't update the slider position in MC until MC gets minimized&restored or until the mouse moves near the top part of MCs window.

You changed the numbers I used form bold to normal (and my post layout slightly) at the 518 thread. I didn't know you don't like bold numbers. I just thought it looks a bit more structured using bold ones. I'll not use them again ;)

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:55:57 am »

After installing the recent build all Playlists in my current library are gone.  I have some special librarys for special things, they're all fine. I did a library restore. It brought back everything and now MC again works as expected.

Just wondering about...

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:00:49 am »

The smartlist problem i've reported for the last two builds is still there.

playlistid==349057809 [Artist]=[Róisín Murphy],[Moloko] OR [_feat]=[Róisín Murphy] ~sort=Random

This smartlist used to work for ages. Now, i get tracks in the smartlist that are not part of the playlist that's referenced via the "playlistid" (!), but where the "_feat" argument would be true. The "_feat" field is a user field of the type "List (semicolon delimited)". I've tried various combinations and variations of the smartlist, and none worked correctly. As i wrote in the previous posts, the problem seems to be connected to the space character in the "_feat" argument. When i use a string without a space in it for the "_feat" argument, the smartlist works as expected.

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 10:08:37 am »

There still is an issue reported a time ago by johnp1:

Using [Shift]+[Left Arrow] in any tag field it works as expected. But if you want to go one step back using [Shift]+[Right Arrow], the cursor jumps to the beginning of the selection instead of going one single step back.

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 10:34:04 am »

Editing in the pre-rip Devices section, the unique 4CD set (same album) Zaireeka by The Flaming Lips, can't be renamed properly. Since the tracks on all four discs all have the same name and the discs are all exactly the same amount of data, MC is applying the same data across all discs when I manually propagate any fields for just one disc. This is a pretty rare case; I don't know of any other releases like this but I though you should know.

The workaround is to rip one CD at a time in this case; the above occurs when all four discs are inserted in my four drives.

DC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:00:52 am »

The smartlist problem i've reported for the last two builds is still there.

playlistid==349057809 [Artist]=[Róisín Murphy],[Moloko] OR [_feat]=[Róisín Murphy] ~sort=Random

This smartlist used to work for ages. Now, i get tracks in the smartlist that are not part of the playlist that's referenced via the "playlistid" (!), but where the "_feat" argument would be true. The "_feat" field is a user field of the type "List (semicolon delimited)". I've tried various combinations and variations of the smartlist, and none worked correctly. As i wrote in the previous posts, the problem seems to be connected to the space character in the "_feat" argument. When i use a string without a space in it for the "_feat" argument, the smartlist works as expected.

I think you need parenthesis.  You can add them by hand, or use the little boxes on the left and right of the smartlist editor.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 11:39:30 am »

Matt, i've already tried various parenthesis forms and positions. The most logical term (in a mathematical sense) would be:

playlistid==349057809 ([Artist]=[Róisín Murphy],[Moloko] OR [_feat]=[Róisín Murphy]) ~sort=Random

But that term isn't accepted, the editor will delete the parentheses silently. I've also tried a lot of other variations, and none of them worked. But when i replace "[_feat]=[Róisín Murphy]" with, for example, "[_feat]=[Emo]", the smartlist works as expected.

Is that parenthesis thing documented somewhere? Couldn't find anything helpful in the Wiki or online help. I wasn't even aware that it's possible to set the parentheses (sp?) with the smartlist editor.

EDIT: ah, i think i have it. I've found this page in the Wiki, which was very helpful. Again, Marko proves to be the king of Smartlists! (; In case anyone has the same problem: the solution is to "or" _all_ expressions, like this:

playlistid==349057809 ([Artist]=[Róisín Murphy] or [Artist]=[Moloko] or [_feat]=[Róisín Murphy]) ~sort=Random

The syntax is not very intuitive, IMO, because the editor allows me to select more than one entry for the "Artist" argument, for example. I was thinking that i already got an "or" going on then. And i still think it's strange that the smartlist worked when using a string without spaces for the "_feat" argument.

EDIT2: Thanks for that link, Matt - i wasn't aware of that change. Indeed, case shouldn't matter with the operator (we're on Windows, after all - the OS that ignores case most of the time, unlike *nix (; ).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 11:54:03 am »

Matt, i've already tried various parenthesis forms and positions. The most logical term (in a mathematical sense) would be:

playlistid==349057809 ([Artist]=[Róisín Murphy],[Moloko] OR [_feat]=[Róisín Murphy]) ~sort=Random

But that term isn't accepted, the editor will delete the parentheses silently. I've also tried a lot of other variations, and none of them worked. But when i replace "[_feat]=[Róisín Murphy]" with, for example, "[_feat]=[Emo]", the smartlist works as expected.

It looks like you need to use a lowercase "or" instead of "OR".  It's possible we shouldn't care, although the wizard will always get it right if you use that.

Is that parenthesis thing documented somewhere? Couldn't find anything helpful in the Wiki or online help. I wasn't even aware that it's possible to set the parentheses (sp?) with the smartlist editor.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46456.msg318347#msg318347

MusicHawk

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 12:03:25 pm »

Still broken (reported for .518):

Ability to select from multi-value lists (such as Keywords) via spacebar or other key.

Used to work totally from keyboard, now requires clumsy mouse click.

And, because it used to work, pressing spacebar by habit results in no selection, but not always noticed, so tagging efforts lost.

This might not seem like much of a problem, but it's a show stopper for us taggers who have lots of work to do and suddenly are de-railed.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

carbo

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 12:30:31 pm »

1. NEW: "Play stack" option added to stack menu.  (Will play all files in a stack.  Only appears on a single selected file.)

Great Feature, I was waiting for this, since stacks appeared, Thank you ! :D

Just one thing, can you explain how the files are ordered for display ?
I haven't manage to change it.
When i expand the stack, the files correctly respect the order of the view but when I collapse it, the order is different (order when stack was created ?)

MusicHawk

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 06:17:29 pm »

Bad news on iPod synching. MC 12.0.518 locked up (reported earlier). Today I tried .520 and it locked up once, then simply crashed each time... eventually.

Using iPod 80gb 5th gen. Reinitialized with newest software via iTunes.

Started by telling MC to redetect device. Set to not synch cover images, to convert to portable high quality (from MC very high quality MP3), delete anything not in Playlist.

Synching MC playlist of about 7500 songs to empty iPod.

Started synch. MC rumbled for a while, then starting working through the songs. But for each track, after seeming to convert it, the message switched to "Error". After a few hundred "Error" tracks, I clicked Cancel to stop the process. Instead, the computer froze completely, no response to keyboard or mouse, couldn't bring up Task Manager, Ctrl+Alt+Del did nothing. I had to pull the power plug!

Restarted the computer and MC, connected the iPod, started synch. MC moved along OK for a few hundred, converting (seems to do 2-3 threads at once) and uploading. Then MC crashed, showing Windows generic application crash error message. iPod ended up with 699 songs.

Restarted MC. It synched about 200 more, then crashed again. iPod now has 998 songs.

This time rebooted computer. Restarted MC. It synched 200 more, then crashed again. iPod now has 1198 songs.

Disk space is not a problem, more than a hundred gb available on each drive MC might use. No obvious problems with the files where it crashes. No other clues.

So, except for the first-time lockup, the synching is working, just can't seem to get beyond 200 tracks before crashing ... if that's a clue.

I'll wait for a future build before trying again.
Managing my media with JRiver since Media Jukebox 8 (maybe earlier), currently use Media Center for Audio/Music and Photos/Videos.
My career in media spans Radio, TV, Print, Photography, Music, Film, Online, Live, Advertising, as producer, director, writer, performer, editor, engineer, executive, owner. An exhausting but amazing ride.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 07:01:40 pm »

Bad news on iPod synching. MC 12.0.518 locked up (reported earlier). Today I tried .520 and it locked up once, then simply crashed each time... eventually.

Using iPod 80gb 5th gen. Reinitialized with newest software via iTunes.

Started by telling MC to redetect device. Set to not synch cover images, to convert to portable high quality (from MC very high quality MP3), delete anything not in Playlist.

Synching MC playlist of about 7500 songs to empty iPod.

Started synch. MC rumbled for a while, then starting working through the songs. But for each track, after seeming to convert it, the message switched to "Error". After a few hundred "Error" tracks, I clicked Cancel to stop the process. Instead, the computer froze completely, no response to keyboard or mouse, couldn't bring up Task Manager, Ctrl+Alt+Del did nothing. I had to pull the power plug!

Restarted the computer and MC, connected the iPod, started synch. MC moved along OK for a few hundred, converting (seems to do 2-3 threads at once) and uploading. Then MC crashed, showing Windows generic application crash error message. iPod ended up with 699 songs.

Restarted MC. It synched about 200 more, then crashed again. iPod now has 998 songs.

This time rebooted computer. Restarted MC. It synched 200 more, then crashed again. iPod now has 1198 songs.

Disk space is not a problem, more than a hundred gb available on each drive MC might use. No obvious problems with the files where it crashes. No other clues.

So, except for the first-time lockup, the synching is working, just can't seem to get beyond 200 tracks before crashing ... if that's a clue.

I'll wait for a future build before trying again.

Please get a log from a crash (Help > Logging) and email it to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.

MusicHawk

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2008, 10:38:06 pm »

>> Matt requested: Please get a log from a crash (Help > Logging) and email it to matt.

DONE!

I sent current and previous log files, since probably only previous has information about the most recent MC/iPod synch crash.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 12:28:45 am »

Please get a log from a crash (Help > Logging) and email it to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks.

Also confirming issues here.  My computer didn't crash at all, but the ipod keeps rebooting mid-sync.
See the build 521 thread for my logfile.

MusicHawk

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 02:12:20 pm »

The recent change in multi-value field tagging behavior is a big problem when there are more than a few existing values.

When there are a few values, popping up some checkboxes is a nice touch.

But when the field contains MANY values -- THOUSANDS in my library -- the checkboxes create a problem that didn't used to exist. Before, I could start typing a value and if it was already in the same field in another record, MC would locate it and help me finish the typing. And/or, I could type the first letter or two and MC would jump to that position in the list of values. Neither of these behaviors happen now. Maybe MC tries -- it seems to jump somewhere, but never to the letters I typed. And if I just type in the field at the top of the picklist, there's no lookup or auto-complete. If I try to scroll the displayed list, I often can't... it disappears off the bottom of my screen with no access. When I leave the list (such as to type in the top field), getting focus back on the list, to scroll or jump, is difficult or impossible.

The same happens with the Keywords field, when edited in a view via F2. The checkboxes list is too long to be fully displayed, but it can't be scrolled, and jumping to values doesn't work reliably. In the Tag dialog, the checkboxes list scrolls OK.

So... In both view and Tag dialog editing of multi-value fields, I now find it necessary to type in most values, even if they are already in the list, because of difficulties working with the list. But typing in the field at the top of the list is a challenge too, due to clumsiness (mine or MCs?) getting focus in the right place, lack of auto-lookup (terrific for avoiding typos), etc. And even when an item is found in the checkboxes list, (reported earlier) there's no longer an obvious keyboard way to check/uncheck an item in the list -- Spacebar used to do it and I hope will soon do it again.

Any multi-value field with many existing values has the same tagging UI difficulties.

Possible fixes: Ideally, allow Library configuration of field behavior, and provide at least two behavior options -- the old way, and the new way. And/or, show checkboxes when there are just a few, but revert to scrolling/jumping when there are many. And/or, limit this behavior to the tagging dialog so at least view fields can be directly edited as before. But the best option is to provide field-level control over behavior via the Library field definition.

For the curious, I have thousands of values in a multi-value field named Artists, a custom field that lets me alphabetize my library by lastname, first, and list multiple artists for a track when that's who performed it -- there are MANY such recordings. For instance, is Ebony & Ivory by Stevie Wonder or Paul McCartney? In my Artists field, it's by both: "Wonder, Stevie;McCartney, Paul" . So it shows up under both individual names in my Artists views/columns. Very cool feature of MC, just very difficult to work with due to the new UI change.

robydago

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 03:54:50 pm »

NEW: Added experimental library browsing system that merges Dropdown Panes and the existing tile browsing. (won't stay in version

and where\what is that?...

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 12:14:41 pm »

Wanted to second MusicHawk's comments about problems with the tagging popup window.  On my system I have more keywords than the new popup can display and when I attempt to scroll the popup vanishes leaving me with no way to select the tag I'm after via this method.

Mark

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 02:39:52 pm »

20. Changed: When acquiring images from a camera, images previously transferred are skipped.

Thanks for slipping this in but it doesn't seem to work for me.  I transferred a bunch of images, closed down MC, and then took an additional picture.  When I tried to acquire images again it appeared it was doing all of them again (I canceled it at 9).  I did have the library open as read-only on another PC if this has any effect.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 05:33:14 pm »

3. NEW: Tabs and non-tab view headers use the same text sizes and weights.

Tabs are now all big and ugly across all skins  :P

JONCAT

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 06:50:55 pm »

Tabs are now all big and ugly across all skins  :P

I think the relative sizes are more appropriate; Tabs are high use areas and they relay important information abuot location. They are working great for me at 1920x1080 with my current font size Your mileage may vary of course..

DC

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 10:51:01 am »

Hi,

This is maybe something you could look into as a bug? calculated fields does not seems to behave entirely correct.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=47275.0
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 07:07:10 pm »

A small one:
After changing the language (Tools->language) I need to restart MC to get the new language for the action window caption.

btw: it's fantastic to have the ability to switch the language on the fly. Most programs need to restart to do this.

JONCAT

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »

The recent change in multi-value field tagging behavior is a big problem when there are more than a few existing values.

When there are a few values, popping up some checkboxes is a nice touch.

But when the field contains MANY values -- THOUSANDS in my library -- the checkboxes create a problem that didn't used to exist. Before, I could start typing a value and if it was already in the same field in another record, MC would locate it and help me finish the typing. And/or, I could type the first letter or two and MC would jump to that position in the list of values. Neither of these behaviors happen now. Maybe MC tries -- it seems to jump somewhere, but never to the letters I typed. And if I just type in the field at the top of the picklist, there's no lookup or auto-complete. If I try to scroll the displayed list, I often can't... it disappears off the bottom of my screen with no access. When I leave the list (such as to type in the top field), getting focus back on the list, to scroll or jump, is difficult or impossible.

The same happens with the Keywords field, when edited in a view via F2. The checkboxes list is too long to be fully displayed, but it can't be scrolled, and jumping to values doesn't work reliably. In the Tag dialog, the checkboxes list scrolls OK.

So... In both view and Tag dialog editing of multi-value fields, I now find it necessary to type in most values, even if they are already in the list, because of difficulties working with the list. But typing in the field at the top of the list is a challenge too, due to clumsiness (mine or MCs?) getting focus in the right place, lack of auto-lookup (terrific for avoiding typos), etc. And even when an item is found in the checkboxes list, (reported earlier) there's no longer an obvious keyboard way to check/uncheck an item in the list -- Spacebar used to do it and I hope will soon do it again.

Any multi-value field with many existing values has the same tagging UI difficulties.

Possible fixes: Ideally, allow Library configuration of field behavior, and provide at least two behavior options -- the old way, and the new way. And/or, show checkboxes when there are just a few, but revert to scrolling/jumping when there are many. And/or, limit this behavior to the tagging dialog so at least view fields can be directly edited as before. But the best option is to provide field-level control over behavior via the Library field definition.

For the curious, I have thousands of values in a multi-value field named Artists, a custom field that lets me alphabetize my library by lastname, first, and list multiple artists for a track when that's who performed it -- there are MANY such recordings. For instance, is Ebony & Ivory by Michael Jackson or Paul McCartney? In my Artists field, it's by both: "Jackson, Michael;McCartney, Paul" . So it shows up under both individual names in my Artists views/columns. Very cool feature of MC, just very difficult to work with due to the new UI change.

I'm seeing the same behavior you report here for multi-value fields.

DC

Johnny B

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 07:09:03 am »

The horizontal mouse-scrolling is STILL not working (reported months ago).
In build 438 it was working fine (see the link)
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44511.msg309837#msg309837
but since build 447 (and now in 520 too) instead of scrolling it is only "jumping". In other words if I scroll right it only moves a bit right and stops. If I release the wheel and scroll right again it again only moves a bit and stops.

JONCAT

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 05:32:23 pm »

3.  One minor thing: Changing the volume without using MCs slider (eg. by using a remote control or the vista volume control) doesn't update the slider position in MC until MC gets minimized&restored or until the mouse moves near the top part of MCs window.

I'm seeing the same thing here.

DC

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 04:09:40 am »

The "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function doesn't name files and directories correctly when there was a case change. This is quite difficult to explain, i'll do it by an example:

This is the expression i'm using for renaming:
Code: [Select]
if(isequal([disc #],unknown,8),,padnumber([disc #],3)-)padnumber([track #],3)The album's name was "A nice hot bath with", and all the tracks are in a directory with that name.

Now, the album's name has been changed to "A Nice Hot Bath With...". The "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" function won't move the tracks to a different directory, even though the case is different, and the "..." string has been appended to the album name.

EDIT: ah, i see the dots ("...") are ignored by MC, which makes sense for directory names. MC should check for a change of case, though.

DonP

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2008, 06:56:21 pm »

Since updating from 12.0.150 to 12.0.520 this morning, I noticed that the file listings in the playlists are quite odd. For example, I see many entries with things like: Z:\Audio Files\Albums\\\00 - .mp3 when no such folders or files exist. The files themselves seem intact as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2008, 07:28:42 pm »

Since updating from 12.0.150 to 12.0.520 this morning, I noticed that the file listings in the playlists are quite odd. For example, I see many entries with things like: Z:\Audio Files\Albums\\\00 - .mp3 when no such folders or files exist. The files themselves seem intact as far as I can tell. Any ideas?

Try restoring from a library backup (MC makes them automatically), and see if it helps.  If the problem persists, please start a new thread so we can dig deeper.

stubbsy

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 07:42:21 pm »

I have an iPhone 3G and with v .520 it's corrupting the iPhone when music is copied.  It shows stuff that iTunes puts there, but if I copy anything to it wit MC12 then the next time I launch iTunes I get a message that says the phone is corrupt and needs to be restored.

JONCAT

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008, 10:06:25 pm »

Tagging multi-value fields has a few problems as reported by Musichawk.

The Action Window Tag mode solves the problems, but one can still be locked out of manually editing the text.

For a quick edit in the file list, multi0value tag editing is further broken in that you can be locked out of the text box at top and it gets covered up:

DC

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2008, 06:20:44 am »

There seems to be a pretty serious bug while tagging:

Sometimes, when changing certain tags (it happened to me when changing "Album" and "Name" tags, but i guess the effect is not restricted to those), MC will silently change the file name of the file currently being tagged (the file name in the library, that is - the physical file still keeps its original file name). This normally provokes a "Tag can't be written"-notification.

At first i thought i was going bonkers, but i've had this effect at least five or six times. I'll try to explain:

- I import an album. All files are there, playable and taggable
- I start to change tags, for example "Artist" or "Name". For some files this is working OK, and then, i suddenly get the "Can't write tags" notification
- I check the file system to see if the file is still there, accessible, and named correctly (comparing the filename on disk with the ony in the library)

-> the file name in the library has a new value, according to the tag i've just changed. File path and everything is still the same, but the file name is different to the file name on disk. For example, when i have just changed the "Artist" tag, the portion of the file name that contains the "Artist" part is changed - everything else stays as it is. Just to make that clear: MC is busy with nothing much at that point. Either it's playing a file other than the one i'm currently tagging, or just "sitting there" and accepting my input.

I'm really perplexed. Somehow, MC seems to identify which part of the filename is connected to the tag i've just changed, and renames the file in the library, but not on disk.

Which brings me to another point: is there a way to verify that files in the library are "connected" to the physical files, preferrably by using a view scheme or a smartlist? I have the very bad feeling that there may be more "disconnected" files in my library. I'm not interested in having a beautifully coded view scheme, i just need something to verify my library, quickly and efficiently.

In case it's important: machine is running XP SP2, up to date with all tags. The machine is (more or less) dedicated to playing music, so there's not much else running on it. On-Access virus scanner is disabled. Database is local, media files are on a Windows 2003 Server, accessed via a mapped drive.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2008, 07:02:11 am »

Somehow, MC seems to identify which part of the filename is connected to the tag i've just changed, and renames the file in the library, but not on disk.

AFAIK, MC doesn't automatically change the Filename field according to other database fields. I am not aware of any new "hidden feature" that would do anything like that.

is there a way to verify that files in the library are "connected" to the physical files, preferrably by using a view scheme or a smartlist?

[=IsMissing([Filename])]=1
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2008, 07:22:56 am »

Thanks Alex, that did the trick nicely. I've found no orphaned entries in my library (knock on wood), so i'd say the problem i've been describing can be identified (and fixed manually) by paying attention to the tagging error message from MC.

Additional info: i've been doing some heavy tagging during the last few days, and only saw the problem with "Name", "Artist" and "Album" tags - all of which are part of my standard naming scheme.

New Vermaje

• World Citizen
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2008, 08:18:28 am »

To Addict !

What is the extension of yours audio files ? (*.FLAC ? *.OGG ? *.APE ? ...)

MusicHawk

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008, 12:22:25 pm »

Somehow, MC seems to identify which part of the filename is connected to the tag i've just changed, and renames the file in the library, but not on disk.

This is exactly what I've observed, as detailed in another thread.

The problem seems random -- I haven't yet discovered what I do that triggers it. But it happens often, way too often to suggest I suddenly have gotten very careless.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008, 12:42:59 pm »

New Vermaje: almost exclusively mp3 files

MusicHawk: yeah, i've also tried to identify some kind of pattern, but the effect seems to appear at random times here, too. Let's hope our descriptions are good enough to identify and easily fix the problem. (;
Pages: [1]   Go Up