INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slow pc system  (Read 3157 times)

rogueblue

• World Citizen
Slow pc system
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:37:29 am »

I previously reported Mc taking about 2 days to "update thumbnails" when importing into a new library.
I'm not sure if it's related , but I have recently noticed that my whole system seems to slow down because of MC. When I shut down MC, my system goes back to normal.
Previous versions of MC , with my virus scanner and system setting had been running perfectly with no problems.

The whole system seems to "drag", causing serious delays in mouse movements, window movement and well, actually any commands in other applications.

There seems to be an excessive cpu usage, but not actually by MC as seen in the task manager, but actually from a "system" application".

And again , I've tried shutting down various applications, but only when shutting down MC, does the system return to normal.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Slow PC system
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 09:42:58 am »

There seems to be an excessive cpu usage, but not actually by MC as seen in the task manager, but actually from a "system" application".
It's probably the virus checker.  Try the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature.

At the very least, tell your virus checker not to check every media file every time it's opened.  And skip checking the MC library files.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
Re: Slow PC system
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:55:44 am »

It's probably the virus checker.  Try the "Weird Problems" thread in my signature.

At the very least, tell your virus checker not to check every media file every time it's opened.  And skip checking the MC library files.

I had already tried it without my virus scanner activated, but the problem is still there.

I read about disabling background auto import and turn off thumbnail build in the background ....
Would these setting have such an effect? Should I rather have them disabled?

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Slow pc system
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:04:31 am »

It's easy to try.  But 2 days building thumbnails isn't normal.  You've probably got something wrong with your system.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 10:06:24 am »

Depends how big the library is, if  its in the 350k+ files range then that would be normal.

Tho recall Deivit saying it took 27hours for so many.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 10:11:58 am »

That doesn't account for a high CPU load when MC isn't busy.  That is probably a virus checker or some OS process.

JONCAT

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:40:02 pm »

Do you have a lot of video files?

I had a lot of trouble with video thumbs until I tried the CCCP beta.

DC

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:00:40 pm »

Hi DC

No, hardly any video files. Still after about 3 weeks now, system seems to slow only when starting MC. Lot of background cpu usage. I'm using a quad core p4 cpu ... not sure if that means anything.

I've also deleted all the folders in the auto import section and disabled auto import. Switched off cover lookup.
Only thing still on is analyse audio.
But still system drag.

Even when I start MC or even maximize it from system tray, MC itself is slow to appear on screen, sort of appears slowly in bits and pieces.

Again, no other applications show any of these signs, and my virus scanner is disabled.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 06:48:02 pm »

quad core p4 cpu ... not sure if that means anything.

It doesn't... Especially since there is no such thing.

Intel had dual-core P4 chips, and dual-socket P4-supporting chipsets.  So, you may have a 4-core system, with dual P4 CPUs, but there's no such thing as a "quad-core P4".

The first generation where Intel offered true "quad-core" chips (and even then it is a bit debatable, because they really just glued two dual-core dies together on the same package) was with the Clovertown Core2-based Xeon processors.  These were built using the Woodcrest core, which was a server version of the popular Core 2 Duo desktop core.

Either way... Something is definitely wrong.  I would guess that something with Memory access or disk access.  MC can sometimes be a little sluggish on my systems when I first start MC up.  However, once it is running (30-45 seconds later) and has accessed all of my Podcasts and everything, it is by far one of the most responsive apps on my systems (including restoring from minimized).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 08:09:01 pm »

Snap....he's right. ;D

Is your library in the default location? On a local drive? Where are the files located?

Can you select all your files and make sure all are analyzed; MC isn't going to analyze if you have turned off auto-import in background.

3rd party plugins?

DC

rjm

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 10:00:49 pm »

MC can sometimes be a little sluggish on my systems when I first start MC up.  However, once it is running (30-45 seconds later) and has accessed all of my Podcasts and everything, it is by far one of the most responsive apps on my systems (including restoring from minimized).

When starting up MC I let it sit for about 20 seconds before I do anything. I recall seeing strange behavior (like lock ups) if I was aggressive right away so I always wait a bit now.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008, 04:16:24 am »

It doesn't... Especially since there is no such thing.

Intel had dual-core P4 chips, and dual-socket P4-supporting chipsets.  So, you may have a 4-core system, with dual P4 CPUs, but there's no such thing as a "quad-core P4".

Sorry I'm not very computer techi, so correction ... it's " Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 " to be exact. Happy Glynor  ;D

Snap....he's right. ;D

Is your library in the default location? On a local drive? Where are the files located?

Can you select all your files and make sure all are analyzed; MC isn't going to analyze if you have turned off auto-import in background.

3rd party plugins?

DC

I believe the "library files " are in the default location. I haven't messed with any of MC's setting/system files.
The files that are included in the library is on a another harddrive to where MC is installed, but it is still local ( if mby local meaning it is connected directly to my pc via sata connection, not external )

I am not using any 3rd party plugins.

Question: is the tick box for " Run auto-import in background" where one switches on and off auto-import? Silly question maybe, but just making sure...

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2008, 05:40:09 am »

Question: is the tick box for " Run auto-import in background" where one switches on and off auto-import?

Yes.

If it is not set to run in the background you can still use the "Run Auto-Import Now" command whenever you want to run it manually. "Run Auto-Import Now" checks the defined import folders once and stops after that. It replaced the old "manual" import tool when the Auto-Import feature was introduced.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008, 11:32:06 am »

A Q6600 should be way more than enough power for MC.  Assuming you have adequate RAM, it should "scream" on that system.  Can you do a favor and post the system info for us?  Go to the Help Menu in MC and choose System Info, then come here and paste the contents (it auto-copies it for you).

Some other questions...

1. I know you said you disabled it, but which specific Anti-Virus application are you using?

To explain: Anti-virus applications can slow down MC because, by design, they run a quick scan of every single file before it is accessed.  MC expects and needs near-instant access to it's database files.  One thing that can help is to exclude the database location from the Anti-Virus search.  The way you accomplish this varies in different A/V apps, but if you use the default database (library) location in MC, the folder you need to exclude is: c:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR_USERNAME>\Application Data\J River\Media Center 12\Library

2. Auto-import shouldn't slow the machine down significantly (I run all my machines with it enabled), even with remote network drives and USB drives, unless it is busy building thumbnails for video files.  If you're using a SATA connected drive, you should be fine, assuming the drive is working properly and at full speed.  One suggestion... Try manually building your thumbnails overnight.  MC can sometimes slow down substantially when it is building thumbnails on the fly.  To do this, go to: Tools --> Options --> Tree & View --> Thumbnails --> Build missing thumbnails.  This will take a while, so start it and go to bed.

3. I'm suspicious of disk or memory access problems on that machine.  What motherboard does it have?  Are you sure you've installed the latest Intel Chipset drivers (assuming it is an Intel chipset on the board)?  You can download these drivers for all boards that use Intel chipsets here: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/

If you aren't sure you have them, it won't hurt to download and install the latest drivers.  I can help you find the exact right ones if you tell me what motherboard you have.  If you aren't sure, download CPU-Z and use it to identify the board and chipset.

If you are running without chipset drivers installed, your machine could be running the SATA drives in "legacy" mode, which can be incredibly slow.  You also would be running without the full benefit of your faster memory access and everything else in the system.

4. If you're sure you have the right drivers... Download HD Tach and run the Long bench on your system and media drives.  Report the results here and we can compare them to known-good results.

JONCAT

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 04:49:21 pm »

Glynor- you have a Q6600 right. What board? Could you post your long bench results for us here to start a datum.

thanks
DC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 05:00:23 pm »

Glynor- you have a Q6600 right. What board? Could you post your long bench results for us here to start a datum.

Nope.  Got a dual-socket, dual-core Xeon system (a Mac Pro), a Core 2 Duo system (HTPC), my Macbook Pro w/a Core 2 Duo, and a bunch of dual-core AMD systems, but no quad yet.

I'll get there.

HDTach results shouldn't vary heavily depending on CPU cores.  There might be minor variances, especially if there are background tasks active, but the disk subsystem is the most relevant item (raw single-core performance will have some impact though).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 06:57:55 pm »

Doc,
If you want to discuss hardware in general, please start a new thread on the Other Hardware board.

rogueblue

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2008, 01:05:30 am »

Thanks Glynor. Will look into it...
Pages: [1]   Go Up