INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CDPlayer.ini -- How to reset?  (Read 5295 times)

heygng

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
CDPlayer.ini -- How to reset?
« on: July 12, 2008, 06:03:58 pm »

In media center 11 when I would create a cd with cd text and then found I made a mistake in text field I would correct the mistake and burn a new disc. When the new correct disc was opened in MC 11 it would still show the old incorrect text. I would then clear my library reload the cd and the new actual cd text from the cd would show. With MC 12.0.473 there seems to be nothing I can find to do once the incorrect cd text is read. Clearing the library does not lose it, putting the correct cd in the other drive on the same pc does not, rebooting MC, rebooting the PC. This problem exists on both my Vista PC and XP Laptop. I think the program should read what is there not what was there. Any help would be appreciated. ?

John Gateley

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Nice haircut
Re: I Can't figure out how to reset CDPlayer.ini
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 10:28:32 pm »

I'll take a look at this on monday. In the meantime, what happens if you right click on the CD and lookup from internet?

j

heygng

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 09:50:31 am »

If I right click and lookup from from cddb and there is a song list available it will load the cddb version (or "CD not found" if no data available). If there is more than 1 cddb version it will give me the MC pop-up to choose with. After loading a cddb data, if I go back and load from CDPlayer.ini it will revert to the original data (in this case my initial wrong data). One thing I noted in trying to get around this was by correcting manually and submitting my data to cddb and then try to load from cddb. That does not seem to work either as cddb does not always accept my modifed data. I no longer get the "you submitted sucsessfully dialog" either. Often times the cddb data is different than what I want to be on my CD labeler, CD text or ID3 tag after converting to mp3. In MC 11 this process works by "Clear Library" on both Vista PC and XP Laptop. A short while ago I took MC 11 off PC but still have both MC11 and 12 on my laptop. Thanks for your help! :)

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 09:54:20 am »

YADB (not CDDB) processes submissions offline, as they take a long time, so you won't see the dialog box.

Sounds like CDPlayer.ini is not getting modified when the disc info is modified. I'll check...

j

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 11:29:42 am »

With MC12, I changed a CD, submitted it to YADB. When it is submitted to YADB, the new information is also writting to CDPlayer.ini. I think looked up the disc in CDPlayer.ini and got the new version.

No need to clear the library or anything. Just put in the data you want and submit it to YADB.

j

JONCAT

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 01:10:12 pm »

I ripped a disc today and upon insertion of a new disc the CDplayer.ini data was not updated; MC displayed the last CD ripped.

I tried to manually reset the .ini in MC but ended up having to eject and re-insert which fixed the problem.

DC

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 02:21:39 pm »

Hi Dr Cilantro - I don't follow, could you specify the exact steps you did and exactly what you saw?

j

JONCAT

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 03:25:04 pm »

Here goes,

1. Insert, tag, and rip disc
2. Eject disc
3. Insert new disc
4. Drives & Devices window for same drive shows disc info from step 1.
5. Manually select update from cdplayer.ini with no change
6. Select other drives, view their meta-data, and come back to problem one, no change.
7. Eject disc, re-insert, and MC correctly updates (from cd-text or YADB)

I commonly use Player or Audiograbber and updating cdplayer.ini manuall with MC works fine most of the time. I do however often have to select my drives more than once to get MC to read from them (using 4 drives and observed this for a long time).

dc

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 04:11:42 pm »

Hi Dr. C - that's not a CDPlayer.ini problem, that's a problem with MC not recognizing a change in the device. Could you start a new thread with a better subject? Thanks -- j

JONCAT

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 07:16:44 pm »

No problem.

heygng

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 11:14:34 am »

Ok back to my original problem. If you burn a CD and make a mistake on a cd text song field and then burn a new cd with the correct info, I have found no way to view the correct info on the cd with MC12 (now including .497). Submitting the info to YADB does not help this problem because if there are 2 incorrect listings already in YADB the corrected listing does not show up even after days. The only work around I have found to get MC to show me what is actually written on the disc is the following procedure.
1. Use MC 11
2. Insert disc 1 (with wrong text)
3. View wrong text
4. Eject disc 1
5. Put in disc 2 (with known correct text verified by inserting in another pc that never read either disc)
6. View wrong text (disc 2 shows disc 1 text)
7. Eject disc 2
8. Clear library
9. Insert disc 2
10. Disc 2 now shows the correct text as it is wriiten on the disc.

This procedure does not work on MC 12 so it appears I will have to revert back to MC 11 even though I bought MC 12. Using both MC 11 and MC 12 is not a problem space wise it is just a pain keeping straight what tasks I use with what version. :(

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 11:34:12 am »

I'll take a look.

Could you take a bad disc, put it in the drive and verify it is bad, open CDPlayer.ini with notepad, make sure the text is bad there,
close notepad, submit the corrected info to YADB, then reopen CDPplayer.ini with notepad and verify the text is now good?

Thanks,

j

heygng

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 01:59:51 pm »

Followed yor request, submitting to YADB does not change the listings in ini.
Clearing the library and then opening cdplayer ini does.

This all being done in MC 11 mind you.

MC 12 clearing or submitting does not solve

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 02:32:01 pm »

I need clarification on MC12.

I did the steps I listed on MC12, and the CDPlayer.ini file showed the correct data after submitting it to YADB.
This is not happening for you?

j

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2008, 02:39:49 pm »

This all being done in MC 11 mind you.

heygng

• Recent member
Re: CDPlayer.ini -- How to reset?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 04:26:27 pm »

MC 12

Changing and Submitting info to YADB does change the info in cdplayer.ini.

The problem is the info you are changeing or submitting is not what is on the CD Text of the CD.

If I make an error in a song title, artist or album I can correct it at the source file and burn a new disc.

It is the new disc with the correct info that I can not verify unless I open it on a new machine.

It ignores the cd text in MC 12 but in MC 11 it would read from it after a Clear Library

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2008, 04:41:55 pm »

I'm confused: what do you mean "correct it at the source file".

j

heygng

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2008, 05:00:40 pm »

I buy a cd. Pay big bucks for it. Autographed Booklet, Extra Tracks, Import etc.
I put the cd in the computer.
Sometimes the cd will have cd text most often not either way does not matter.
If not do a lookup
I rip the cd to wav
If I don't close MC the wav will show the song artist album I looked up.
Burn to a cdr
cdr can now be used preserving the collectible.
for example put in car changer
car changer reads cd text
I notice a few song titles are mispelled
I fill the data fields from my wav (source files) correctly and burn a new disc.
When I put the cd in the computer MC12 shows me the original data (did I screw up?)
Put the new cd in the car (no I did make corrections right)
Put the cd back in computer with MC12 (shows me wrong cd text)
Put cd in laptop open with MC11 or MC12 shows me correct text.

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 10:39:50 pm »

Okay, now I understand, though I'm not sure how to fix it. I'll have to talk to Matt and John T. tomorrow.
It sounds like MC thinks the CD is new, since you are creating it from scratch, so the database isn't updated. But then when you put it back in, because it is the "same" as a previous one, you're getting the old data from the cache.

Thanks for the details...

j

heygng

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 09:08:32 am »

Yes, now we are on to something. Another note, when the disc with the same music but slightly different text was inserted in MC11 after a clear library it would sometimes see them as different disc i.e. "Greatest Hits", Greatest Hits (1)" "Greatest Hits (2)".

As a user, the best solution would be for MC to always check the cd first for text, then ini, then YADB. Another thought would be a menu item right above "Update from cdplayer.ini" like "Update from CD" or "Check For CD Text". At minimum I hope it can be fixed so my work around of clearing the library works like it does with MC 11. Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 11:58:43 am »

Have you realized that MC has an internal database section for audio CDs? It is the default data source if the CD is already included. You can apply corrections directly to this database section. Here's how you can make the CD database visible in a view scheme: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=31061.0

after a clear library

I don't think I have cleared my main library since I started it in 2002. If something has gone wrong I have restored a library backup file.

As a user, the best solution would be for MC to always check the cd first for text, then ini, then YADB.

CDplayer.ini and CD text are very limited when compared to what can be stored in the library.

Another thought would be a menu item right above "Update from cdplayer.ini" like "Update from CD" or "Check For CD Text".

It is difficult to know what source MC uses and when/if it updates the cdplayer.ini file.
IMHO, it should have the following straightforward menu commands (in addition to YADB):

- Update from Cdplayer.ini
- Update from CD-text
- Export to Cdplayer.ini

Also, Cdplayer.ini should be fixed to support multiple artist albums and genre & year fields. Currently MC does not write the genre and year fields.

The multiple artist system should be identical to what EAC uses, for example:

Code: [Select]
[1b7dd59]
title=Moulin Rouge - Music From Baz Luhrmann's Film
artist=Various Artists
year=2001
genre=Soundtrack
numtracks=16
0=David Bowie / Nature Boy
1=Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink / Lady Marmelade
2=Fatboy Slim / Because We Can
3=Nicole Kidman, Jim Broadbent, Caroline O'Connor, Natalie Mendoza and Lara Mulcahy / Sparkling Diamonds
4=Valeria / Rhythm Of The Night
5=Ewan McGregor and Alessandro Safina / Your Song
6=Bono, Gavin Friday and Maurice Seezer / Children Of The Revolution
7=Nicole Kidman / One Day I'll Fly Away
8=Beck / Diamond Dogs
9=Nicole Kidman, Ewan McGregor and Jamie Allen / Elephant Love Medley
10=Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor / Come What May
11=Ewan McGregor, José Feliciano and Jacek Koman / El Tango De Roxanne
12=Rufus Wainwright / Complainte De La Butte
13=Nicole Kidman, John Leguizamo and Alka Yagnik / Hindi Sad Diamonds
14=David Bowie and Massive Attack / Nature Boy
15=Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya and Pink / Lady Marmelade  (Thunderpuss Radio Mix)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

heygng

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2008, 01:16:55 pm »

At this point my main problem is simply reading the cd-text on the actual cd in the drive to verify the corrections I made on a corrected burn.
I never used the library for anything. My mp3 files have all the tag info. If I put in a CD it will read the cd text or look up with YADB.
It is when you find some info that is wrong and correct it on an mp3 tag there is no problem. Glad you second vote for the "Update from CD-Text". It would be nice if the cd-text had more fields but artist, song and album work for me. CD-Text although no frills is an addiction for me when I put a burnt cdr of a new album I got in the car CD changer. Before I get to know the particular album well my cd changer is scrolling the artist and more importantly to me the song title. Thanks for your input Alex

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 01:53:27 pm »

I've found and fixed one bug: when the CD is burned the second time, the data is added to the database instead of replacing what was already there, and when the disc is looked up, it pulls the earlier data.

Look for this in a future version...

j
Pages: [1]   Go Up