INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Few questions  (Read 1468 times)

Sarane

• Recent member
Few questions
« on: July 13, 2008, 10:22:33 pm »

Hello.

I am a fairly new user and have few questions.  I am using the 12.0.487 build on XP:

A-  When trying to update the system tells me "No updates available at this time"

B-  On importing APE file, the band and conductor fields are not captured. (Using Abander TagControl for bulk tagging before importing)

C-  Flac file tags are usually ignored.  This won't be a problem anymore as I'm dropping Flac in favor of APE.

Otherwise, so far so good. It took a while to grab all of the edit view schemes but it works great. It is an excellent product.  Although I would appreciate some user managements on the server side for showing my sound samples and for image/files sharing. Maybe in a further version.

Thank you.

Sar.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 10:26:36 pm »

Question A:

They don't always post the new updates to the auto-update function, until they've been extremely thoroughly tested.  IMO this is less about stability (the new builds are almost always good in this regard, and are pre-tested by a beta team for a short while before release to the public), and more about avoiding annoying less-savvy users with constant upgrade nagging.

The newest build is always posted in a "sticky" thread at the top of this board.  New versions typically come out once a week during active development cycles.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 10:50:26 pm »

B-  On importing APE file, the band and conductor fields are not captured. (Using Abander TagControl for bulk tagging before importing)

Try creating the fields in Media Center, then the data should be there.

j

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 11:03:58 pm »

> B-  On importing APE file, the band and conductor fields are not captured.
> (Using Abander TagControl for bulk tagging before importing)

I just tried converting a file to APE format with MC 12.451 and then importing it into a different library.  Both the band and Conductor tags were recognized by MC 12.

Have you checked in Tools/Options/Library to be sure that the Band and Conductor tags are defined for your library?

The program you used for tagging may not be writing tags in a way that MC 12 cAn recognize.

> C-  Flac file tags are usually ignored.  This won't be a problem anymore as I'm dropping Flac in favor of APE.

I've ripped and imported well over 2500 Flac files.  I have never seen a case where proper Flac tags were ignored.

Proper Flac tags are in Vorbis Comment form.  Your tagging program may have placed ID3 tags in your Flac file.

MC 12 has great tagging features.  Why don't you use MC for tagging?

Bill

Sarane

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 07:52:42 am »

Thank you for all the replies.

Concerning Q. A,  I'll do the updates manually. That's not an issue.

Concerning Q. B,  The "Band" and "Conductor" fields are there by default. Maybe the tag format.

Concerning Q. C,  It is possible that TagControl does not save proper Vorbis tags.  But as mentioned, no more FLAC for me.

Concerning the suggestion of using MC for tagging:

1 - I've gone around a bit to find good tagging tools. Yes, MC has much better features than most. However on a few points, I prefer TC.

2 - For example, I've set MP3 input in MC to remove ID3v1 tags on import, but it sometimes misses them.  Additionally MC captures the <comment> tags of ID3v1 if it finds none in ID3v2, sometimes creating unwanted information in the database.  I do not know in MC, how easy it is to find out if ID3v1 is present and how to manually delete just these tags.

Cheers,

Sar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up