INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC forum navigation issue -- may be due to "digg.com" feature.  (Read 2957 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but I'm seeing a navigation glitch in these forums that I'm not seeing anywhere else.  It's not a big deal, but I thought somebody might be interested.

Starting in the last few days I noticed that I often have to hit the IExplorer "back" button twice in order to back up a page when browsing the MC forums.  I started looking at the little history drop-down next to the forward/back buttons, and I noticed that when this happens, the "previous site" is listed as a "digg.com" address rather than the previous MC forum address, which is TWO sites back.

Here are some pictures that show what I'm talking about.  Starting on the main "Media Center 12" forum page, I clicked on the "[FEATURE REQUEST]" thread.  Note the extra "digg" page that has been inserted into the history:

I now hit the back button once -- the page stays on the "FEATURE REQUEST" thread, but the history shows this:

I now navigate forward again, and while the page itself remains the same, I now see this in the history:

It appears that this issue may have something to do with the "digg" feature being used.  Did something change recently with this?  Note that this doesn't happen every time, but it happens a lot.

The important things to note are that the MC forums are the only place that this is happening, and that this only started happening recently.  I don't see it happen with any other web sites, including other forums.

Thanks,

Larry

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC forum navigation issue -- may be due to "digg.com" feature.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 12:48:51 am »

I often get massive slow downs browsing interact, and the status bar always says "waiting for digg.com"

Not always, but often enough to be a pain.

I use firefox here and have not seen this "back" behaviour as yet though.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 02:51:15 am »

Based on the "History" in the pictures above, it appears that the Digg feature is somehow "stepping in the way" of navigating the site.  I've also noticed some general slowdowns on the forums recently, but nothing as obvious as the "back" behavior I described above, which just started sometime within the last week.

Larry

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 01:25:23 pm »

I often get massive slow downs browsing interact, and the status bar always says "waiting for digg.com"

Not always, but often enough to be a pain.

I use firefox here and have not seen this "back" behaviour as yet though.

With FireFox (running the NoScript plug in) I don't get slowdowns, I just get the 'noscript has blocked a cross-site-scripting (XSS) attempt' error at the top - I don't get this from other sites that integrate with digg so there must be something different about the way it is done on this forum.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2008, 06:11:51 am »

We'll take a look at this next week.

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 06:32:31 am »

That's peculiar,  I don't get any of these issues using IE7.

One strange issue I do have, is if I connect to Interact through MC's start page, from my home connection (which is appallingly unreliable),
then the whole yabb.jriver domain becomes unavailable to me, through any browser.
It only happens on this connection, and if I use IE on it's own then it's fine.  If i wait half an hour or so it starts working again.
It's not a computer issue as it happens also on my laptop which I also use at work where it's fine.
I'm fairly sure it's a problem with our connection rather than Interact/MC.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 07:24:58 am »

We'll take a look at this next week.

Thanks Jim.

Just to update this, I don't seem to be seeing the issue today.  I can't say that I've tried it enough to make any real conclusions, but it appears that I can't get it to happen at the moment.  Did something change?

Larry

gappie

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 02:05:39 pm »

the two times back is a small issue for me since the start of this year. i reported it http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44413.0
still i often have the small scroll bar instead of the digg it stuff as shown in that thread. and that is when i need to hit the back button two times.

easy to get used to  :P

:)
gab

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 07:37:55 pm »

the two times back is a small issue for me since the start of this year. i reported it http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44413.0
still i often have the small scroll bar instead of the digg it stuff as shown in that thread. and that is when i need to hit the back button two times.

easy to get used to 

I actually find it kind of hard to get used to since it is not consistant.  When this happens, I find myself waiting for the page to change, only to discover that I need to hit the back button again.  If I just hit it twice to start with, I often find myself an extra page back.  Basically, it makes navigating a very "annoying" process.

That said, it seems like something may have been fixed in this regard since I'm not seeing it right now.

Larry
Pages: [1]   Go Up