INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FLAC disc number?  (Read 4771 times)

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
FLAC disc number?
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:49:01 am »

I've noticed that the disc numbers I've tagged in  foobar do not display in MC...  Any solution to this?

Additionally, tagging the disc # in MC adds a new "DISC #" tag which I can see when I look at the tagging data in foobar.

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: FLAC disc number?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:38:26 pm »

Solved it yet?

I'm just a novice user, but I can give you my two penneth...

I've had this and similar issues. The solution, for me, was realising that what matters is the actual field name.

A program might show "Disc #", but when you enter in a disc number, it in fact writes to a tag called "discnumber". Then you load the music file into another software, and it looks for "discno" and finds nothing, and therefore displays nothing.

There are no universal standards for tags.

My FLAC tags were all tagged with "discnumber" in MP3Tag. However, MC tries to look for "Disc #" (I believe). Therefore, I had to convert all of my "discnumber" tags to "Disc #". The good news is, it's very easy to make such conversions, at least in MP3Tag. I press 'start', and within a matter of minutes, 10,000 or so files are re-tagged.

I have decided that MC will be my tag standard, as it is the only serious playback software I use. However, I find mass tagging within it rather cumbersome. My solution is to take a dummy music file: Fill in data for every single tag, within MC, plus add whatever custom tags you might use. Then, load the file in MP3Tag and select "show extended tags". You'll then see what the exact field names are, and you'll be able to batch tag very easily, in order to make your tags MC compatible.

Just remember, you'll have to tag different file types separately (in MP3Tag). Fields work a bit differently in WMA, MP3, and FLAC.

The beauty is, once everything is finally tagged, MC does an excellent job at managing the collection. I no longer have to think about fields and file types. Also, I can make small changes to tags, and MC is smart in that it knows which field to change in which file type.

Hope that helps.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 05:28:53 am »

There is no official FLAC/Vorbis standard for disc number. Each program developer can decide what header is used. MP3tag and foobar2000 have some synergy because the Mp3tag developer has helped the foobar2000 developer in tagging issues.

In addition to using Mp3tag for copying the disc number values from a field to another MC can do the same. It is possible to create a "discnumber" user field and use the Move/Copy Fields tool inside MC.
(This works only with FLAC. The other formats use different tagging systems and the tag header inside the file is never literally the same as the visible name in MC.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 08:11:45 am »

By the way, in this post is a walk-through (kindly provided by Alex B) that will show you a method for converting tags (including Disc #). After going  through the steps once, I understood things much more clearly.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=43221.0

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 03:39:47 am »

DBPower Amp CD Ripper was the culprit.  Spoon has fixed the issue in the latest beta release of the FLAC codec.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 03:56:09 am »

DBPower Amp CD Ripper was the culprit.  Spoon has fixed the issue in the latest beta release of the FLAC codec.

What exactly was the dBpoweramp issue and what was changed?

EDIT

I found you posts in the dBpoweramp forum. Apparently your problem was with the "total number of tracks" and "total number of discs" values, which were included in the track and disc numbers in the x/y format (e.g. 6/12).

In general, do you find the "total number" values useful? JRiver has not implemented them yet and I wonder if adding those fields would be a good enhancement for the next MC version. At least the field values could be used when an album is detected as incomplete or complete.

The library fields would need to be mapped correctly with the commonly used file tags in different tagging formats.

I have some other tag related requests on my pending list and I could include the "total number of" tags.

Previously JRiver has implemented new tags and tagging-related changes when the requests have been well-grounded and gained popularity.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Vulcan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:39:19 pm »

In general, do you find the "total number" values useful? JRiver has not implemented them yet and I wonder if adding those fields would be a good enhancement for the next MC version. At least the field values could be used when an album is detected as incomplete or complete.
I feel it would be a smart thing to do.  It seems to me that this is becoming an unofficial standard. 

EDIT: I find it particularly useful for multi disc albums.
Pages: [1]   Go Up