INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 idea: a new way to browse content  (Read 2477 times)

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
MC13 idea: a new way to browse content
« on: August 18, 2008, 06:09:30 pm »

I'd like to propose a new method for browsing content in libraries.

As a library grows in size it becomes increasingly difficult to decide what to view or listen to.

In my case, I store summary info in (txt or mht) files for my audio books, music albums, etc. However to view these files I have to double click them (and then close them) which dramatically slows the info browsing experience.

In the case of video (movies and documentaries) I still rely on an external program (Movie Collector) because it is so nice for browsing the meta data.

The new MC feature would work something like this...

For each album, you could tag a single document file as the "info" associated with that album.

If you chose to store album info in an MC tag (like Comment or Notes) instead of a document file, then you could tell MC that the info is in a tag instead of a file for that album.

To use the new feature you would select an "info browsing mode" that would hide all files associated with the album and would instead only display the info contained within the designated file or tag. All of the normal trees, panes, searches, etc. would work as before for browsing the info.

I think this new feature would be an excellent complement to MC's unique ability to manage large libraries.

)p(

Re: MC13 idea: a new way to browse content
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 12:41:11 am »

I'd like to propose a new method for browsing content in libraries.

As a library grows in size it becomes increasingly difficult to decide what to view or listen to.

In my case, I store summary info in (txt or mht) files for my audio books, music albums, etc. However to view these files I have to double click them (and then close them) which dramatically slows the info browsing experience.

In the case of video (movies and documentaries) I still rely on an external program (Movie Collector) because it is so nice for browsing the meta data.

The new MC feature would work something like this...

For each album, you could tag a single document file as the "info" associated with that album.

If you chose to store album info in an MC tag (like Comment or Notes) instead of a document file, then you could tell MC that the info is in a tag instead of a file for that album.

To use the new feature you would select an "info browsing mode" that would hide all files associated with the album and would instead only display the info contained within the designated file or tag. All of the normal trees, panes, searches, etc. would work as before for browsing the info.

I think this new feature would be an excellent complement to MC's unique ability to manage large libraries.

More or less like having a now playing template in a list field?
How could this be translated to theaterview?

peter

rjm

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 09:57:09 am »

If the info display had an option to use a user created custom template that can be populated with data from tags, image files (such as cover art) and document files then MC would have a killer answer to the likes of Movie Collector.

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:35:50 am »

awesome! - this would be a big help for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up