INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations - Europe, Winter, 1st time...  (Read 1840 times)

ThoBar

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Was confishy
Recommendations - Europe, Winter, 1st time...
« on: August 18, 2008, 10:57:03 pm »

We're off to Europe this Nov-Jan (about 7 weeks total), flying in to Italy, out from Frankfurt.

Apart from that, we've little in the way of firm plans at this stage. We are considering a 6 day train/hotel trip through the Swiss Alps, and possibly a 10 day tour of some of the more eastern countries (Poland, Czech, Slovakia, Austria) - although thats looking less likely, given the time frame.

We're looking for recommendations of great (preferably unusual) places to experience.  We're interested in local culture, history and countryside

We'll be travelling light, and are most likely going to be staying in homestays and hostels for the most part, and are likely to concentrate on Italy, France, Germany, Switzerland, Austria with side trips to anywhere interesing thats nearby.

Bear in mind I can barely converse with other english speakers from other countries, but my wife has a smattering of Italian, French, German.

Cheers,
C.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Recommendations - Europe, Winter, 1st time...
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 06:58:26 am »

Wow!  What a nice trip!

About 15 years ago, I spent some time in Strasbourg with my two young daughters.  We stayed in a small hotel and the owners had to ask us to leave for a week when the European Parliament was in session.  They found us a place in a small ski village way up in the mountains of Switzerland.  It was called Bettmeralp.  No big attractions, just panoramic views of the Alps.  We got there via train to Basel, then Berne, then a gondola ride up the mountain.

I think that the cafes in the area often have rooms.  That's what we stayed in and it was inexpensive and nice.  During ski season, it will probably be different.

Whether you stay in a place like that or not, a cable car ride up the mountain for the day would be wonderful.

We took the train east from there and in about an hour we passed through a village that had old dark wood buildings.  I wish I had written the name of it down.  People on the train knew it as an interesting place.  I'll look to see if I can find the name.

I haven't been in Vienna for 10 years, but it is different from other major European cities.  You can feel the influence of its eastern neighbors.  Austere, dignified, a little formal.  The coffee houses are worth the trip.  There is a tour of a royal castle that was really interesting.  I liked the beer garden next to the amusement park.  The park has a huge ferris wheel with cars that take a dozen people standing.  Great view of the city.

If I were doing your trip, I'd just start talking with people on the train and see where it went.  Often the most interesting places are the ones that tourists don't visit.

ThoBar

• Was confishy
Re: Recommendations - Europe, Winter, 1st time...
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:14:29 pm »

Thanks for the tips Jim, we'll definitely hit Austria and given we'll be on a train a fair bit, I'm sure we'll pick up a lot more suggestions.

No big attractions, just panoramic views of the Alps
Thats a pretty big attraction for us.

We took the train east from there and in about an hour we passed through a village that had old dark wood buildings.
That does sound nice... I tried to figure it out from google maps... to no avail. If you remember I'd definitely be interested in knowing it's name.

Cheers,
C.
Pages: [1]   Go Up