INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: virtual machine - no support  (Read 1660 times)

rog2310

virtual machine - no support
« on: August 22, 2008, 04:02:39 pm »

MC12 trial edition will not play video on my virtual XPPro machine (guest on XPPro host using VMware workstation).  Free software such as vlc works fine in same circustance.  With no better support than this site, I think your business will be poor!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: virtual machine - no support
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 04:06:18 pm »

Could you provide details about what types of video you are trying to play?

I'm guessing that your use requires DirectShow and that the virtual machine doesn't support it.

Concerning your remark on support, we have a devil of a time answering questions before they are asked.

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 04:54:28 pm »

With no better support than this site, I think your business will be poor!

I don't know of many software companies with better supoort, the forum is not only monitored by JRiver staff (who respond quickly when they can) but also very helpful users who are always happy to assist.

In my experience I've almost always got quicker/better support here than I have from other organisations with much more formalised support systems.

Richard

jgreen

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 05:04:09 pm »

rog, it sounds like you've found the perfect software for your needs--VLC player.  Best of luck in all you do, and I thoroughly disagree with your comment regarding J River's support. 

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 06:42:19 pm »

What Is A Virtual XP Pro Machine?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 01:04:52 am »

I'd be surprised if any company, no matter what method of support they offer, would offer support for their product running in a virtual environment, and to be honest, if you're running in a virtual environment, it's kind of naiive of you to expect it. If any given application is not running correctly in your virtual environment, but works while running on your desktop, then your port of call for support should be to your virtual environment provider.

What Is A Virtual XP Pro Machine?
It's software that emulates a pc system running in a window on your desktop.
You can run different operating systems on your 'virtual machines'. They are rescource hungry and tend not to do 3D stuff very well, if at all...
http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/

Microsoft have their own flavour that they purchased from Connectix some years back...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

-marko

ProblemChild

• Junior Woodchuck
  • But I don't wanna be the same as everybody else...
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 09:34:23 am »

Just to add that, at least for me (and I'm sure many if not most others) part of what I like best about MC12/JRiver IS this support network. The fact that the software is exceptional is pretty cool too  ;D, but there aren't many other companies providing anything like this. As someone who, at least historically, used to resent even having to purchase software (yes, my 1st languages were COBOL & Pascal, back when the internet & email were free geek tools and you had to expect a walk to the computer center to retrieve anything you wished to print off the -yuk- DEC) , MC12 is by and large the only software I've not only purchased, but paid for eagerly. Where else can I get near-instant answers to my (sometimes not very well thought out) questions?! Anyways, just read this post and wanted to respond. Thanks to everyone who makes this work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up