INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does MJ need iTunes to sync with iPod?  (Read 1362 times)

swinster

• World Citizen
Does MJ need iTunes to sync with iPod?
« on: August 23, 2008, 06:54:33 am »

Hi all,

I am just trialling MJ as a music jukebox and I must say I'm impressed. I've been using WinAMP for a long time (as well as Media Player 11, iTunes and others such as VLC) and have found that WinAMP has continuous problems with automatic tagging of files and cover art downloads, not to mention that I have always found it difficult to read even with other skins.

In addition, I found WinAMPs iPod sync a little frustrating as compilation albums never really showed up and a lot of Cover art never seemed to get transferred. However, when I plugged in my iPod it managed to sync without the need for iTunes.

On first using MJ, when I plugged in my iPod, iTunes immediately started. I have disabled automatic syncing within iTunes but I wondered if MJ somehow relies on iTunes to be installed in order for it to complete iPod synchronisation. MJ also initially complained that the version of iTunes I was using was out of date, so I downloaded the latest version (7.7.1.11) and installed the latest firmware to the iPod (1.1.2) (the iPod is a 160gb Classic 6th gen).

Can I remove iTunes or is it best to leave it in place, and if the latter is true, can I stop it auto starting when the iPod is plugged in?

Swin

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Does MJ need iTunes to sync with iPod?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 07:08:35 am »

You can remove iTunes.  It's only needed for updating firmware.  In their infinite wisdom, Apple has chosen to bundle the firmware with iTunes.

swinster

• World Citizen
Re: Does MJ need iTunes to sync with iPod?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 08:33:32 am »

In their infinite wisdom, Apple has chosen to bundle the firmware with iTunes.

I take it that this means that if Apple release new firmware and I want to install it, I would need to re-install iTunes? I though that MJ had an update firmware option for Handhelds - or is this only for those where the firmware is downloadable as a single file?

As an aside, if I upgrade to MC from MJ I take it that I could also uninstall Quicktime?
Pages: [1]   Go Up