INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning MP3 Data CD  (Read 2126 times)

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
Burning MP3 Data CD
« on: August 21, 2008, 12:44:49 am »

All music is lossless WMA, Need to create data cd for use in car.
Is there a way to setup folders other then "genre,artist,song".  I want to make custom folders like "new music" then convert to MP3 and burn.
Thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Burning MP3 Data CD
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 03:39:20 am »

You can configure any rule based folder structure and even add static text strings to the folder name rule. Select Custom... in Action Window > Burn Disc > Options > CD/DVD Folder Naming for using your own naming rule.

A quick forum search for my older related answers found these links:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44630.msg306015#msg306015
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28722.0
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=46736.msg320338#msg320338
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 11:58:34 pm »

Thanks for the qick reply.  I'm not sure any of those threads goes where he's trying to go. 
Long ago all of my music was MP3.  My Son used Nero and in the bottom of the screen he could create folders (rap,country, New music) and then drag and drop files into those folders to burn. 
Am I correct in assuming that he would have to convert the files to a folder on the HD and then create the CD like he did before?
Thanks!!

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 04:30:51 am »

Thanks for the qick reply.  I'm not sure any of those threads goes where he's trying to go. 
Long ago all of my music was MP3.  My Son used Nero and in the bottom of the screen he could create folders (rap,country, New music) and then drag and drop files into those folders to burn.

MC shows the resulting CD folder name in the burn details window (there's a column named CD Folder), but it is not designed to allow typing a path directly in this column. Actually, I don't see any reason why that should not be possible and in my opinion JRiver could add it to the burn features.

However, since the current system always creates a rule based folder structure you would need to create a rule that does what you want.

For instance, you could create a rule that starts with [Genre] if that matches what you want. (rap, country, new music...).

If your already tagged genre's are not suitable, you could create a new user field. It would not be more tedious than creating the folder structure in Nero's file window.

Personally, I would proceed as follows:
1. Create the new user field, e.g. "My son's CD folder"
2. Add a playlist group and under it a few static playlists, one for each "My son's CD folder" field value.
3. Add files to be burned to these playlists and tag them with the desired "My son's CD folder" value.
4. In the burning options, use a folder rule that includes the [My son's CD folder] string.

It would also be easier to make the final selections from the playlists than from the complete library if all selected files would not fit on a single disc after the format conversion. The bitrate/filesize/playtime table in one of my links helps in determining the resulting file size.

I would not delete the playlists. Over time they would contain an archive of songs that can be burned to new different compilation discs.

I have a few rewritable discs that use for listening MP3s in my car. Quite often I use my old "burn playlists" for creating new compilations of the previously chosen songs.

Am I correct in assuming that he would have to convert the files to a folder on the HD and then create the CD like he did before?

MC can convert the files on the fly. There is no need to convert them separately unless you want to reuse the converted files many times.

If you want to do the latter you could consider using the "hard disk folder as a virtual handheld" feature and create an archive of preconverted files by always syncing this handheld before burning the files. You could also consider installing Media Jukebox 12 on the same PC. You could use it for creating a separate small library of the preconverted files (Auto-Import would always keep be this library up-to-date) and for actual burning. I think this would work better than trying to burn files directly from the virtual handheld.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

skypeme

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 01:01:59 am »

::) 

can't seem to find the "post new topic tab" i do have a question i'd appreciate some help with and sorry if this is inappropriate...newbie at forum speak; okay,

Can I burn a 3d visualization along with my tune onto a data cd so i could then burn the visual tune onto a dvd? or if not possible within mc, is there a way to trick it into acomplishing this any way at all?I just love the spectrum bouncing boxes! JRiver Rocks!

Carter

boydn

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 01:58:15 am »

Alex, Thanks again for the help.  Looks to be a MAJOR project. 
I think I'll go back to converting the files to a folder on the HD then use Nero to burn...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:40:51 am »

can't seem to find the "post new topic tab" i do have a question i'd appreciate some help with and sorry if this is inappropriate...newbie at forum speak; okay,
It's called New Topic and it's on the upper right of your window.

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:06:40 am »

hi,
since the title fits...
I asked several times in the past for volume-leveling (using the info in the reply gain) when burning data cds.
(it means that files will be going through some sort of an algorithm to fix their volume before written to the CD).

same question for when syncing to an mp3 device...

what is the status on that? is it here? will it be in MC12? MC13?

Shay
Pages: [1]   Go Up