INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synching Media Jukebox with an iPod  (Read 2972 times)

Rockinggranny

• Recent member
Synching Media Jukebox with an iPod
« on: August 30, 2008, 04:05:12 pm »

I have 2 (probably) stupid questions. I have tens of thousands of song on my Media Center and have moved most of those songs to an external hard drive. I think this means the "Tags" are different as they no longer point to the location where the songs are. I also have a bunch of extra songs on my Ipod and want to start deleting them. It raises two questions:
1) If I check "Delete files not in Sync," will it delete everything because the files are not where the tags say they should be?
and
2) Can I go in an manually delete files from the Ipod without going through the sync process?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot. I'm 82 years young and started using a computer for the first time at 78.

Phydeaux

• World Citizen
  • No comment... ;)
Re: Synching
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 04:38:54 pm »

Brief answers:

1) if you library points to the new music on your external drive, you should be fine. You should be able to do a check to see which files will be deleted and which will be added to your ipod. Plug your ipod in and on the iPod screen in Media Center, click on the "Check Sync" button. Media Center will show "On Device" if it recognises the track on your iPod as matching something in your library, or "In Queue" or "Delete" as other options. You might find that the music will be deleted and re-synced, so it might just take a long time for it to essentially do very little!

As long as you have all the music on your drive, there is relatively little danger in "deleting files not in sync list". As I say, you might delete a whole lot of files, but then copy them straight back... There are a number of factors that dictate what will happen in this scenario!

2) You can manually delete songs on your iPod. This is tedious though...
"Evil will always triumph over Good because Good is dumb." -- Spaceballs

Rockinggranny

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 06:15:55 pm »

Thank you so much for your help. I guess you've raised a couple new issues for me. My library does not point to the music on my external drive because the way I did it was to move it over to the external drive in chunks. I still think everythng is referenced on Media Jukebox to where it was when it was on my computer, before I moved it. With 30,000 songs (I taught music for 45 years!) I think moving it back might be a big fiasco, but can try it.  I tried the Check Sync and most of my files are not "on device" so this could be a risk. Is there any easy way to change the file locations of all my files? Even if manually deleting is tedious, it might be the way to go in my case.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help. People who stop and assist strangers are about as good as it gets.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 06:41:44 pm »

Again, thank you for taking the time to help. People who stop and assist strangers are about as good as it gets.
You will find a lot of that here, R. Grandmother.

If you're using Media Jukebox, not JRiver Media Center, I will move this to the MJ forum.  Just let me know.

Rockinggranny

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 06:58:08 pm »

I am so very sorry- yes I am using Media Jukebox. That does not bode well for my being able to figure this out, does it?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:02:04 pm »

No problem at all.  I'll move the thread.

Where did you teach?

Rockinggranny

• Recent member
Re: Synching Media Jukebox with an iPod
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:25:10 pm »

Private piano instructions in NY (now in Florida). Thank you for your help. I would love to figure this out!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 07:34:35 am »

You must be OK if you earned a living doing that.  I'll bet you've visited the Steinway showroom up near Carnegie Hall once or twice.

If, as I understand, you moved the files outside MJ, then the MJ library still points to the old location.  You could try selecting a few files, and doing a right click, then Library Tools, then Find and Replace to change c: to f: (for example).

Next time, try moving the files inside MJ.

Rockinggranny

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 11:51:50 am »

Oh, certainly- and the Steinway Halls in London and Vienna. New York's is the finest, though.

Jim, I will try what you recommend. It looks like it may work. Can you suggest a way to delete files that are duplicates and no longer wanted on my ipod? Do I have the ability to erase the entry from MJ and then open the folders on the Ipod through "My Computer" and delete what I see and erased on MJ?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 12:05:09 pm »

It's probably best to let MJ manage the iPod.  Check the options available.

There is also an iPod/MP3 player board here that you could use for iPod specific info.  Click General above to see the boards available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up