INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 12 and Playstation 3  (Read 4840 times)

rbentley

• Recent member
MC 12 and Playstation 3
« on: September 07, 2008, 01:07:56 pm »

I have just got a PS3 and thought I would try streaming from MC to the PS3.  I enabled the UPnP server on MC and prompted the PS3 to detect Media Servers.  It does detect MC but shows "There are no titles."  I also get this error on the PS3 "Media Server Error: A DLNA protocol error (7522) has occur."  I have tried enabling "experimental DLNA" under the UPnP options but that doesn't help.

I am using the latest version of MC and have the most current firmware on the PS3.

Has anyone been sucessful in stream from MC to their PS3?  Any suggestions on what I can do to get this to work?  Windows Media Player does successfully stream to the PS3 but obviously I want to use the superior MC if I can.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC 12 and Playstation 3
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:13:18 pm »

There are other options under MC's UPnP server.  Try a few.

Our Wiki has more information:

http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/UPnP_Server_and_Devices_%28Media_Receivers%29

Edit: I found a thread that said it works.  Check supported devices in the Wiki.

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 01:44:12 pm »

Jim,

I have read the Wiki and tried the different settings.  It does not seem to matter, no changes have any effect, except in some cases making MC undetectable.  The Wiki by the way is a little out of date as it does not discuss the options for "Omit Host Portion of URL" and "Experimental DLNA".  I thought that last one might be the problem because it is an DNLA error that I do get on the PS3, but enabling it makes the PS3 undetectable.

My router is a NetGear 814WG which is a standard Comcast provided wireless router.  It is not on your supported list, however the PS3 does detect MC as a media server it just doesn't show any titles available and displays the DNLA error.

Any suggestions?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 01:52:48 pm »

So eso's solution didn't work for you?

As I mentioned before in another thread, some versions of the PS3 firmware starting with 2.0 had a bug which prevented them from playing files from the MediaCenter UPnP server although the server was browsable from the PS3. Some weeks ago a PS3 update restored UPnP playback with MC. The following UPnP server settings work for me - Advanced mode, with the following options enabled:
  • Skip Child Count
  • Experimental DLNA

(This post is linked with PS3 on the Wiki page.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 02:19:05 pm »

No enabling "experimental DLNA" makes MC not discoverable.  I have to leave it unchecked for the PS3 to detect MC.  "It doesnt seem to make any difference if "Skip Child Count" is enabled or not.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 05:14:28 pm »

Did you notice that one of the firmware versions for the PS3 didn't work?  It was in the PS3 thread linked from the list of supported UPnP devices.

rbentley

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:36:27 pm »

I have the most recent release of MC 12 and PS3 firmware.  After spending hours trying to work on this I have come up with a workaround that may help others.

The PS3 reports a DLNA error.  If you set MC's UpnP option to "experimental DLNA" the PS3 will not recognize it as a media server.  I have found that if you leave "experimental DLNA: unchecked, the PS3 will recognize MC, but will return "no files found".  AFTER the PS3 has recongized MC, go into UPnP options and enable "experimental DLNA", do NOT close MC as this will cause the PS3 not to recognize MC.  You should now be able to see your files on the PS3.

I am seeing some irregularities however even with this workaround.  Some files will not play with MC streaming even though they do under Windows Media Player Player and some directories do not appear under MC even though they do under WMP.  I will continue to experiment and offer my experience.  Your mileage may differ.  If Jim or anyone else need logs or other information I am happy to provide it.  I absolutely love MC and hate to even use any other program even for limited use.

dgoodrie

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 07:40:12 pm »

I ran into the same issue until I set sharing on for the folders that I wanted to share.
HP M9200T Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz, 3gb, GF 8600 GT 512mb
Dell 3000 Pentium 4 3.0 ghz, 2gb
HP DV9700T Intel T9300 Duo 2 2.5gz, 3gb, GF 8600 GS 512mb

jrouss

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 08:26:38 am »

Myself, I disabled UPnP on my router ---> enabled the library server on MC ---->and setup port forwarding on my router for the PC I am using as the MC server. No matter what I tried with the UPNP failed or worked temporarily. This works everytime I turn on my PS3.

Good Luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up