INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error #20 opening MC [Solved]  (Read 2402 times)

Duncanmusic

• Recent member
Error #20 opening MC [Solved]
« on: September 12, 2008, 12:47:55 am »

I need help.  I did something stupid trying to reduce items in my start up menu and now I get official error #20 that something is missing when I try to open Media Center. 

I am unsure if following proceedure doing an uninstall means I am going to lose all my library files.  Just what does file>library>backup library mean? How do I implement that?

I have approximately 885GB of MP3s over two external hard drives and my original CPU's hard drive.  Am I going to have to get a TB drive to back everything up before I can uninstall and reinstall?

Prompt help would be a relief! Thanks.  I am up for the next five hours (then I will sleep a few...I am off work for a couple of days; I work nights and stay on schedule) and will return to check for a reply in my email or here in the forum.

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Error #20 - something is missing when opening MC
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 01:07:22 am »

I need help.  I did something stupid trying to reduce items in my start up menu and now I get official error #20 that something is missing when I try to open Media Center. 

I am unsure if following proceedure doing an uninstall means I am going to lose all my library files.  Just what does file>library>backup library mean? How do I implement that?

I have approximately 885GB of MP3s over two external hard drives and my original CPU's hard drive.  Am I going to have to get a TB drive to back everything up before I can uninstall and reinstall?

Prompt help would be a relief! Thanks.  I am up for the next five hours (then I will sleep a few...I am off work for a couple of days; I work nights and stay on schedule) and will return to check for a reply in my email or here in the forum.
duncanmusic@frontiernet.net

Somebody else on this board probably knows how to fix your error, I do not.

I think if you simply reinstall everything will be ok. There should be no need to uninstall, but if you do need to, don't worry, your mp3s won't be touched.

fyi, MC has a database that points to your mp3s. The library backup function simply backs up this database. It does not backup your mp3s.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Error #20 - something is missing when opening MC
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 07:32:28 am »

Try reinstalling your license.

Duncanmusic

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 07:38:06 am »

does that mean digging out the 'numbers' (I guess I have them somewhere) or do I just uninstall the registry files (not the library files) and reinstall from the jriver.com site, whch I would guess would ID me as being previously paid up and immediately grant me access...
Thanks for both responses by the way
Duncan

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 07:42:48 am »

You can use a restore.  Your Registration Code is in e-mail from buy-button at jriver.

More info in our Wiki:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Purchase_and_License_Recovery

Duncanmusic

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:38 am »

Thank You Jim.  This sounds like it could be the ticket.  I'll let you know after I go through the restoration.  Waiting for my registration code to be sent to me right now.

You know, this is the kind of service I was hoping to receive and I am not disappointed.  This is what I didn't receive at Music Match, which I think led to their demise (among other obvious factors) and so many others' similar fate.

Duncan

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 11:18:06 am »

Thanks.  The e-mail should arrive within a minute or two.  If not, check your SPAM filters. 

There's also way to save the Install Key.  It's in the Wiki.

Duncanmusic

• Recent member
A Tagging Feature I'd Like To See
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 12:51:40 pm »

While digging for problem resolution I perused many of the questions around what problems I HAVE encountered with MC (such as freeze up while tagging...and I thought I was doing something VERY bad!) and was relieved to find my problems are common among users and that persons much more program savvy than I are on top of it. 

I do know that from now on whenever the program asks for a message to be sent to you noting the problem I will say yes so that you will receive those logs for the benefit of all.

I will also REALLY give more thought as to what I would like to see implemented s features within MC.  Having been a huge record collector for mwell over 40 years I believe I might be able to come up with a few suggestions.

The  one I can readily come up with is as follows:

Why not have a bevy of prepared genre categories that would serve as default categories for filing within MC? As a person with a broad pallette of musical tastes and an insatiable spirit of musical adventure and student of audio archaeology I can assure you that I am NOT alone and that there are legions of folks just like me who would flock to a program that made it "sorting friendly".  I wonder if you are even aware of the depth and variety of potential users of MC out there.  I am a veritible Internet Garage/Rummage/Yard Sale Searcher/Seeker of musical oddities and that leads me to so many MP3 music blogs, band sites, Usenet lists, forums, interest groups etc that I barely remember to pee.  We as a sub-species are generally pack-rats and used to basements and attics and garages full of shelves and boxes and crates and drawers full of items that we pull through searching for new finds and the long forgottenand  we do our best to organize what is generally a messy hobby.

Perhaps I could be of some assistance in that matter as I was able to categorize well over 250,000 physical pieces of vinyl during the time I had that physical collection. (God, I loved getting it, but not having and maintaining it! Journey vs. destination.) As well as my memory serves me (as I approach 58) I believe I had something like 40 main style categories and an equal or higher number of sub-categories (it's been ten years since I had all that in one place).  I also draw from the experience of working in music retail for 30 years selling new AND used recordings and consistently being the person put in charge of organizing, dividing and labeling floor and back stock for ease of retrieval. (One: no one else had the knowledge to be able to discern differences and similarities and Two: no one else had the patience to cypher it all out.)

Granted, filing is a matter of one's subjectivity as to what tracks belong in what category.  However, if it was set up so that MC would either recognize similarities in basic tagging (i.e. hard rock or classic rock = rock) for general categorization or disallow, discount or dismiss non-categories (such as random numbers I sometimes encounter, superfluous categories <Bo Rice> or cutesey "hidden messages"<Songs People who hate Connor Oberst Would Love> ... those show up from time to time) and leave the field blank by default (for later custom labeling) or consistently labelled 'unassigned'.

I would imagine that a call to arms might flush out persons similarly driven to help define and categorize video and image default genre file names within MC.  I keep refining my imusic and mage filing hierarchy outside MC and as suggested in several of the forum postings I read and know it goes a long way to help keep it easier to use. Having this built in would go a long way towards making MC top of the heap and a clear choice for cyber-collectors.

By the way, I just sampled Songbird, a new media manager and another open source program.  I hope you are aware of them and monitoring their progress if nothing more than to see what folks are complaining about and wishing for.

I realize i am a bit of a romantic and certainly NOT the techie type to be able to logic out the programming intricasies that more talented people have acheived (including my genius step-son Mac game programmer...boy is he busy and he's only 16!), but I do believe that I have a bead on something worth pursuing and am willing to lend what talents I do have for the cause.  hey, I'd like to make my life a little easier using MC and not have to spend time re-tagging mislabeled tracks or thinking about what to call this or that kind of music.

Hoping I've picqued your nterest...
Duncan

Duncanmusic

• Recent member
Re: Error #20 - still not right, I'm afraid
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 02:39:17 pm »

Well, I restored and nothing happened, so I uninstalled and reinstalled downloaded MC 12 again and now ALL I get is a small window box entitled critical error with an OKAY click inside.  No Program at all!  What now?Any ideas? Did I do something wrong again? ?
Boy, I'm really showing my technical ignorance here, guys. Wish I could say differently, but you gotta spell it out for me like a four year old I'm afraid.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 02:47:46 pm »

Uninstall again and remove registry entries when you do.  Then reboot.  Then reinstall.

If that doesn't work, there may be something wrong with your OS.

Duncanmusic

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 04:36:11 pm »

FINALLY! Up and running again and working fine. Haven't tried burning disc yet, but everything else is working better than ever.
Thanks for your patience.  I should have remember the ol' reboot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up