INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where do I stick the new iPod?  (Read 1670 times)

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Where do I stick the new iPod?
« on: September 26, 2008, 02:02:56 am »

Hello,
I am a total newbie in iPod domain. My trusty Rio Karma finally died (HD failed after 3 years) and I need to find a replacement. Don't really see anything but an iPod as an alternative, unfortunately.
Please help me to answer these questions:
- MC12/MC13 do not support the new iPods (I am aiming at iPod Classic, either 6th or 7th generation, 160Gb or 120Gb)
- As per this forum, we are not allowed to install iTunes (and I don't want too)
- How do I transfer audio/video to an iPod then?

I can use MC to sync to a fake handheld (PC folder) to have the right files but how do I transfer them to the iPod?
Appreciate your replies!
--max

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
Re: Where do I stick the new iPod?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 10:49:21 am »

You'll need itunes to sync, just not Itunes 8.0.  Download an older 7.something version.

maxxsid

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:42:36 pm »

Oh.. I see.. So, the old 7.x version _will_ work with the new ipods.. Good!
Thanks!
--max

You'll need itunes to sync, just not Itunes 8.0.  Download an older 7.something version.

bwaldron

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 01:32:31 pm »

- MC12/MC13 do not support the new iPods (I am aiming at iPod Classic, either 6th or 7th generation, 160Gb or 120Gb)

If you go with the 6th generation (160GB) Classic, MC will work fine with it (I have one). I don't think that it is working with the new 120GB Classic, but I don't know that to be a fact.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 12:03:56 am »

MC works with the older 80GB and 160GB iPod Classics.  There have been a few posts saying that MC does not work with the new 120GB iPod Classic.  I don't know if iTunes 7 works with the new 120GB Classic either.  Apple updated to iTunes 8 at the same time they released the new iPods.

I did have a conflict with iTunes 8 installed.  I installed iTunes 8 and MC would no longer see my iPod Classic (80GB).  I had to uninstall iTunes 8, reboot, and go back to iTunes 7.  It's all working now.

There are a couple of ways to get files synec on the iPod.

Plug in the iPod.  MC finds it.  Click on the "Sync Handheld" in the Action Window.  That opens an area where you can drag and drop files to.

Another way is to make a playlist or a smartlist.  Then go to Tools >> Options >> Handheld and then select those playlists or smartlists to sync.

I made a couple of smartlists for syncing the iPod.  I added a custom field I called "Sync With iPod".  I made a custom rule in the smartlist to select only files where "Sync With iPod" is not "no".  Any file I don't want to sync I set "Sync With iPod" to "no".

You can get creative with the smartlists to manage what files get synced. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up