INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keeping 2 Computers, iPod and Other Players Synced/Ratings and Last Played Date  (Read 1487 times)

rbz

Hi,

I just came across this app and before I have to download and try it (and others), maybe someone can tell me if it can manage a difficult task:

I have two computers and several portable players.

One computer holds a 'master' library of FLAC files of which all songs are to be converted to a more 'portable' format (most likely AAC/.m4a), the resulting songs will be the library to sync. This conversion is not part of the question, but the 'portable' library is the starting point.

Then there are multiple portables:

(1) An iPod 4G photo 20 GB (I'm about to upgrade the hd when I get around to it) which is to carry the whole song library. This device shall keep all the songs themselves in sync between the computers.
(2) An iPod mini 2G.
(3) An iPod nano 1G.
(4) My SE K750i and K530i phones, which act as standard UMS/MSC devices.
(5) Maybe I'll add another non-iPod player to the mix soon.

On (2) to (4), I'd like to load a selection of songs that can be defined as a smart playlist consisting of
- only songs with rating of at least 3 (or 4 or 5), and
- only songs not played in the last (e.g.) 7 days (either on the computer or the portable device), and
- the maximum capacity the device can handle, choosing random songs that meet the other two criteria.

Last played date is updated on-the-go, and I often change ratings when listening to songs. On sync, both ratings and last played dates should be updated both on the computer and the portable device (I'm not interested in other metadata like play counts, album art or others).

Can MJ handle this (on its own or via plug-ins)?

TIA

P.S.: No, I don't really need that many portable players. But the two computers and portables (1) and (4) are essential, so the question remains unchanged if I decide to unclutter my collection. :-)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

You could download and confirm it works for most of this.  MJ can convert during sync and can keep a cache of conversions.

rbz

As I tried to point out, conversion is not a major issue here.

Basically, the question boils down to the two following topics:
- Is MJ able to update ratings and last played dates on both the portable device (for iPods and non-iPod devices) and the desktop?
-  And could I then update the portable device according to the rating and 'not played for xx days' criteria, plus the capacity limit, filling it with random songs that meet the othe criteria?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Please try the download.
Pages: [1]   Go Up