INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Firewall Warnings  (Read 1390 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Firewall Warnings
« on: October 29, 2008, 05:40:14 pm »

I downloaded and installed the trial/demo of Media Center 12 yesterday. The installation went fine, causing the normal installation related pop-up warnings that I get from my Comodo Firewall (free version). Once I started MC though, I began to get numerous firewall warnings about MC trying to seize control of numerous devices in my computer.
Among them:
-keyboard (found some info about the keylogger issues here...okay)
-the monitor
-Windows Explorer

[this is the point in the list where I have trouble coming up with reasons why MC would need to touch theses programs in any way]
-avgrsx.exe (AVG anti-virus)
-iFrmewrk.exe (Intel Wifi adapter)
-stsystra.exe (sound card system tray util)
-GoogleCalendarSync.exe
- a few others that have no relation to sound/video/network/internet at all.

Is there any reason for this to happen? I've done two thorough virus-check scans since this happened and I've got no viruses left behind or anything worrisome, but I'm apprehensive to try installing the download again if it's going to seize control of my entire computer. I've certainly had my fair share of over-zealous warnings from Comodo, but I literally got more than two dozen warnings before I closed MC down (I've never gotten more than 2-3 previously).

Thoughts? Explanations? Help? I'd really love to try Media Center out, it appears to be exactly what I've been looking for in a music/video player/organizer.

Thanks,
JB

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Firewall Warnings
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 06:00:37 pm »

Welcome to Interact.  MC uses the Internet quite a bit.  It's safe.  You can tell your firewall to allow it.

Your firewall may be giving you unreliable information.  If you aren't sure, try another firewall.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:13:45 pm »

What firewall are you using?

StFeder

• MC Beta Team
  • Fight! You may win. If you don't, you already lost
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 01:08:50 pm »

I'm using Commodo for quite a while now too. I think it's one of the best ones out there, but if you set it to be too strict, it reports every small system happening. I turned most of the strange, kind of paranoid warnings off.

To test it, I just switched them all back on again, and I got nearly 20 Messages after only starting MC and doing basic things (music playing, DSP-settings). But all the "warnings" contained things related to MC (eg. JRWorker.exe) or the audio/video system of windows vista (eg. svhost.exe). Nothing strange for me. Looks as there is something wrong with your PC...

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:01:31 pm »

I re-installed (Media Jukebox this time) and got all the same errors. However after the library import was done I stopped receiving all of the warnings, without having to change any settings. Apparently part of the initialization for both library and program use some abnormal methods (maybe?). It might be something worth looking into developmentally as I could see new users being rather put off (as I was) by so many errors from an unfamiliar company/program.

This aside, I am most pleased with the program after using it for a short period of time. Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

-JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up