INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lookup From YADB - Select Fields Only?  (Read 1427 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Lookup From YADB - Select Fields Only?
« on: October 30, 2008, 05:43:11 pm »

Hi, I just started using Media Center/Jukebox to see if it's got what I want in a media player and organizer.

I like the general setup of the tagging options that are available. However when using the "Lookup Track Info From YADB", I am unable to get it to work as I'd like it to. When I click that button on one or more tracks it will download the database information and over write any tags that I already have filled out. While it is nice (and imperative for me) to be able to automatically download metadata from a collection of information, I don't want information I have already input to be overwritten (unless I tell the program to). I am very anal about my ID3 tags, which is precisely why I am leaving iTunes behind me. I have spent (too many) hours classifying all of my music into precise genres that I feel suites them well. I cannot tolerate having the genre (and maybe others that I haven't thought of just yet) over written just because I wanted to download date or album metadata.

So...is there a way to configure the "Lookup Track Info From YADB"? (as a less important aside, other database options would also be nice)

Quite frankly, this all or none approach to automatically updating tag information is a deal breaker for me. There are a ton of other nice features in Media Center (and even just in Jukebox) but without this ability the program doesn't cover my basic media player needs.

Thanks for any pointers,
JB

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Lookup From YADB - Select Fields Only?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 06:08:19 pm »

There isn't a way to configure this.  It's assumed that you will select tracks that are untagged or have poor tags before accessing the database.

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 06:43:12 am »

I've always wished there was a way of doing this.
Would be a very useful function IMO.

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 06:48:47 am »

I've always wished there was a way of doing this.
Would be a very useful function IMO.

Ditto :)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 08:36:01 am »

I understand the assumption, but I don't like it  :'( ...

The assumption reminds me of the way WMP or iTunes works things. Since the rest of Media Center is AMAZINGLY configurable it's frustrating that something like this is not. I have a ton of songs that I've gathered from all corners of the earth over the last 10 years that have only Artist, Track Name, and Genre filled in since I've never had the luxury of a look-up feature such as this. I've been working at manually filling in all the tags, but it was a loooooooong process in iTunes. So it would be great to have an "update missing" or "update what I want" option.

Personally (and for others I would guess) I only want to update FACTS from a database anyway (ie: Artist, Album, Track, Track#, Year, etc) while leaving subjective fields alone (ie: Genre, Mood, Situation, Tempo). So a simple checkbox list under the main menu would be an awesome feature.

Obviously I don't know how the database lookup is setup, but based on the way the rest of the program seems to work it doesn't seem to difficult to have some sort of "ID3 field mask" implemented...or my assumption could be completely wrong, it happens...

So far in my newbie analysis of the program this is the only real issue I've come across so far (feature wise anyway). So I do want to point out that otherwise, I'm quickly getting hooked on Media Center. Thanks!

-JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up