INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ waisting CPU power  (Read 1522 times)

pegu

MJ waisting CPU power
« on: November 09, 2008, 03:07:15 pm »

Whereas real player and others need 2-5% of CPU Power, MJ is running wild with up to 100%. I'm sure not a hippie wippie muesli man saving energy and stuff. But seeing and worse, hearing my fan freaking out is pretty annoying. I want to listen to music not to my fan. So what's wrong with this software?

gappie

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MJ waisting CPU power
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

dont know, works here at 1-3 %. when you want to know why it does not like your computer. you could post some info about your setup.

but maybe:
one of the things that could be happening is that mc builds the thumbnails and saves them to your hd. when you just imported a lot of tracks, it could be that it is busy with the thumbnail building.
or when you imported some tracks, the tracks are analysed so that you could use some of the dsp on it, like setting volume leveling. you can disable those features, that have to run only one time, in the settings.

:)
gab

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 04:12:22 pm »

It will also get cover art if it's missing. 

Check the options to make sure it's doing what you want.

A virus checker can sometimes cause problems, too.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 11:05:05 pm »

Whereas real player and others need 2-5% of CPU Power, MJ is running wild with up to 100%. I'm sure not a hippie wippie muesli man saving energy and stuff. But seeing and worse, hearing my fan freaking out is pretty annoying. I want to listen to music not to my fan. So what's wrong with this software?

This is not normal for playing music.  I play music from either a PC with a 1.8 GHz Core 2 Duo Intel CPU or a PC with an AMD dual core 2.4 GHz CPU.  Task manager shows CPU utilization to be 1% while I'm playing music.

Some questions:

- Are you upsampling to a higher smaple rate?

- Are you using DSP?

- What kind of system are you using?  CPU and speed, amount of RAM? 

- Where are the music files (local or elsewhere on a LAN)?

- Do you have cover art in the folders with the music files?  In the music files themselves?

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up