INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom Field With Multiple Entries  (Read 1228 times)

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Custom Field With Multiple Entries
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:53:39 pm »

I'm trying to make a few custom tag fields with MC12. I'd like for them to be lists that I can choose multiple entries from for any given song. For example I'd like a sub-genre tag that I can fill with the tags 'Folk' and 'Acoustic' (along with other possible values). When I select a song and edit the tags, if I choose both Folk and Acoustic the sub-genre field just resets to empty (rather than have a field that displays "Folk;Acoustic" or something similar).

How do I set up my custom library field to do this?

It seems like it should be possible since the Keywords library field behaves the way I'd like my custom fields to behave. I can't figure out how to get it to work though. My library field is set up for Audio, User Data, List (semi-colon delimited), Standard Edit type, a long list of values, with the "store in flags" option checked. This appears the same as the keywords, aside from the search portion.

Help is greatly appreciated,
JB

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Custom Field With Multiple Entries
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 08:47:29 pm »

From the MC12 Manual:
Data Type. You can create various types of data, including string, integer, decimal, percentage or a semicolon delimited list. Use the latter if you want to include multiple values. For example, if you have a 'subgenre' field to track things like indie-rock, pop-rock, americana, etc., you want to be able to include a few of these subgenres for the same song.

Clearly, this is intended to work exactly as I'd like it to.
...and after playing with this for an hour or so, I've stumbled upon the fact that it does work  ::), but only if there is nothing listed under the "Values:" section. While I can make this work, it would be nice if I could pre-define a starting set of values to use in the field (this would work wonderfully with tagging mode). Is this intended behavior for some reason I've not come across yet or an oversite or bug? Is there actually already a way to add pre-defined values and still get my desired behavior?

Thanks,
JB

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Custom Field With Multiple Entries
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:58:54 am »

Link to all my answers:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=44507.0

Apologies on a wasted post, as the link above contains all the information I was looking for. I'll learn to search a little better before I create a new post.  :-\

I would like to reiterate that it would be nice to be able to have a pre-defined list available to choose multiple values in a single field from, but otherwise this whole post should probably just disappear.
Pages: [1]   Go Up