INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using MC or MJ with an Intel Atom based PC?  (Read 1760 times)

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Anyone using MC or MJ with an Intel Atom based PC?
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:52:20 am »

I am interested in using a small cheap and quiet PC to play music.  Something like an ASUS Eee PC or MSIWind laptop or the box versions without an LCD would work.  I'm specifically asking about PCs based on Intel Atom CPU chips rather than Celerons, Core 2 Duos and equivalent AMD CPUs.

I'd like to know if such a low-power PC runs MC well enough for playing music.  I'm concerned about glitch free playback and snappy UI performance with a large library.

I have applications with the music files being on a USB hard drive locally and for files being accessing over a LAN.

Bill

Pjotr

• World Citizen
Re: Anyone using MC or MJ with an Intel Atom based PC?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:16:43 pm »

Hi,

This week I did set up a small music centre by installing MC12 on an ASUS Eee PC901 (with SS-HD). It is connected to a EMU Tracker USB2 DA-converter through the ASIO drivers. Music is for now on a 2.5” 250 Gig USB HD directly connected to the Eee PC.

It performs pretty well and runs smooth. Start up is pretty fast. For navigating and regular music listening I use theatre view most time, controlled by the arrow keys. Up to now no flaws and sound is incredibly good (FLAC an wav files).

Because the C:\ partition is relatively small on this machine and only intended for system resources it is best to install MC12 on the D:\ partition and redirect the libraries and cover art to that as well (or to the external USB HD).

My only wish is a nice IP radio tuner plug in for now. Something that uses the pretty good vTuner server.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 08:12:29 pm »

I saw a very nice small system at FNAC in France this week.  I think the manufacturer was pertech.  It was about the size of War and Peace in the hardcover edition.

I'll posts pictures in a day or two. 

They had an Acer that also looked good.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 08:26:02 pm »

Here are the pictures:
http://www.pix01.com/gallery/8D12431D-7EA0-495D-9EA2-775091458CB9/Peritech_PC/

It's Peritech, not Pertech.  The date on the label is December, 2007.

GrumpyNick

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 12:36:40 am »

Looks like the PC equivalent of a Mac Mini...
Cats like plain crisps
Pages: [1]   Go Up