INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's Everyone Want This Christmas?  (Read 4044 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
What's Everyone Want This Christmas?
« on: November 23, 2008, 09:41:43 am »

What does everyone want this Christmas?  I'm trying to get together a list of things I want to post for my family gift exchange.  Unfortunately, I only typically keep a running list of CDs/DVDs that I want and other than that, I don't typically have things I want or need running on a list.  And I get sick of always getting CDs and DVDs.  It's nice to ask for those unique things when possible.

The key area of interest is our gift exchange.  At things like these the spending limit is generally $30 or less per person.  But there are several people who can buy.  So that brings about the question of what cool gifts are that or lower priced?  CDs and DVDs instantly come to mind...even Blu Ray.  But I am not going to go crazy asking for Blu Ray until our theater is finished in 2 weeks.  I haven't really worked with Blu Ray myself ever before...I've seen it at other places.  Something important, like MC, could be on my list, $20, but especially with inexpensive items, if I need or truly want them, I don't wait.  It's the expensive things that I might question and hold out on.  But those are ruled out in our gift exchange.

Are there people who have family gift exchanges where the limit is $300 or more?  When I look at gift lists they rarely find anything under $50.  I mean close family yes, but for a large family exchange it would be tough..each family would be shelling out a few thousand dollars!

vbrook

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: What's Everyone Want This Christmas?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:24:20 pm »

Well, I was hoping to go away for a month to a place with warm weather, but my wife has a week-long conference, we have some guests coming just after Christmas, and as such I don't think I'll be going anywhere far for very long. What I want (and will get) is some time away by myself, maybe at a spa. In a manly and relaxing fashion, I'll kick back for a week, eat long breakfasts, read every page of the FT, take an afternoon massage, watch television and then focus on my music composition just whenever and if I feel inspired. Perhaps a few drinks, and I'll sneak a cigarette before bed---Sobranie Black Russians.

I don't suppose any of that would work for your gift exchange? Alternatively, I've noted a couple of interesting gadgets I've been meaning to buy, roughly within your price range:

1) Outi Earphone System (Way cool, check it out.)
2) ThinkGeek Bluetooth Retro Headset (Also check out Hulger for a wider variety, but they tend to be more expensive.)

What about a book? Alex Ross, "The Rest Is Noise" (Just bought it and hope to start reading it soon. I enjoy his New Yorker articles.)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 02:36:39 am »

What about a book? Alex Ross, "The Rest Is Noise" (Just bought it and hope to start reading it soon. I enjoy his New Yorker articles.)

A subscription to the New Yorker makes a great gift.  Worth the price for the cartoons alone.

benn600

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 12:45:39 pm »

I spent a lot of time on ThinkGeek and found several things.  I ordered a few and put a few on my online wishlist.  They have little remote controlled helicopters that I couldn't resist.  I also found a LED light bulb with remote that would go great in my lamp.  Also, a handheld flashlight with multiple colors and a 3 watt LED light output.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 12:55:01 pm »

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

benn600

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 02:56:09 pm »

All I want for Christmas is for our theater to be finished.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 03:10:58 pm »

I would like Henry Paulson to stop talking about what the administration is going to do for the economy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up