INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zen Nano Plus (Creative) + MC12 + XP x64 synch (+ Xbox 360)  (Read 2250 times)

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Zen Nano Plus (Creative) + MC12 + XP x64 synch (+ Xbox 360)
« on: December 13, 2008, 09:57:01 am »

This computer (running XP x64) is new as of 2/2008. I'm almost positive (but not 100%) that MC12 used to see the Plus as a handheld (it only sees it as an external HD if I "Add Device") while under XP x64. Seems like I had deleted a non-music file out of the root of the Plus, and after that, MC never saw the device properly again. I've tried Tools>Options>Handheld>Redetect to no avail (MC 12.0.534).

Convert on transfer: When MC did detect the Nano, I don't recall any option for MC to transcode selected non-mp3's (ogg, flac, mpc) before transferring. Does this ability exist? When in Ubuntu, I've been using transKode (script) with Amarok for the Plus, which works beautifully except that it doesn't reuse a converted mp3 again if the particular track is re-sent later.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Zen Nano Plus (Creative) + MC12 + XP x64 synch
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 11:02:32 am »

If the device supports it, try both MTP mode and Mass Storage.

Transcoding is an option for each handheld.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Zen Nano Plus (Creative) + MC12 + XP x64 synch (+ Xbox 360)
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 01:36:25 pm »

Thanks Jim ... that was it. MTP was broken apparently (which is what I needed) so it was defaulting to MSC. Here is what I did (for future reference) as this fixed a media connection problem with my Xbox 360 as well (the Xbox can now read and play files off the PC) ...

1) Kill WMP 11 if running

2) Start>Run>services.msc

2a) Go to Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service ... right click on it and hit Stop (if you can't stop it or hangs on stopping forever, then click on Properties and change Startup type to Manual, click OK then reboot)

3) There is a directory under c:\Documents and Settings\All Users called DRM. The files contained within are hidden so you need to show them. Once shown, delete everything under that directory. You won't be able to if the WMPNSS is still running, hence the the need for step 2a.

4) Re-install WMP (may not be necessary, step 3 may fix problem). I couldn't uninstall so I re-installed over the top of the existing.

5) Perform step 2a again but instead right click and Start the service and set Startup type back to Automatic.

I'm not sure it's necessary to initiate the Plus with WMP, but I did anyways. It placed a file called WMPInfo.xml in the root of the Plus. That may have been the file I killed earlier causing the MC synch problem.

BTW: The Handheld file format converter works beautifully in MC. Unlike the transKode script in Amarok, MC sees previously encoded files and uses them when called for. MC just rocks!

Espion's post here saved the day ...
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Xbox-360-PC-Media-Sharing-Issues-Please-help-t174851.html

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Zen Nano Plus (Creative) + MC12 + XP x64 synch (+ Xbox 360)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 01:43:48 pm »

Thanks for posting the solution, Steve.
Pages: [1]   Go Up