INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain Question  (Read 971 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Replay Gain Question
« on: December 20, 2008, 04:51:50 pm »

I just started using the Analyze Audio function with MC13 and have a couple of newbie questions about the results:

1. The tracks in one group of mp3 files all have replay gains between -1 and -3 db, while tracks in other groups have gains between -10 and -11 db. Is this telling me that the tracks with -1 db are louder than those with -10 db?

2. The files in some groups are all at 100% peak level. Of those, some have low replay gains (-1, -2, etc.) and some have much higher replay gains (-10, -12). What is this telling me?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116

jack wallstreet

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Replay Gain Question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 05:28:44 pm »

I'll do my best from memory and others can correct me if necessay.

The -1 indicates that MC will reduce the playback volume (when played) by 1db, the -10 indicates it was a louder file (originally) and will play back with volume reduced 10 db to sound the same loudness as the one with -1 (which wasn't as loud).

MC does not actually modify the volume of a file (leaves the file itself unchanged).  It sets a tag within the file that when read by MC will reduce the volume in real time by the indicated amount.  Mp3Gain, a freeware program, uses the same algorithm and actually reduces the gain so any mp3player will play songs back at the same level. 

I personally run all my mp3 files through Mp3Gain before running the analyze function in MC (this results in the same db adjustment with all files within about 1db of each other when running "analyze.").  This means that any mp3 player which I play the music on will have songs the same volume.  I don't then need to rely on MC.
John

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Replay Gain Question
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 06:08:06 pm »

Our wiki (link above) has more info:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Replay_Gain
Pages: [1]   Go Up