INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Been awhile...complete data store in library DB?  (Read 1838 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Been awhile...complete data store in library DB?
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:01:45 am »

It's been a while since I've brought this up--and it's MC13 now.  Could the idea of storing all user data in the library DB be considered please?  The result would mean, for everyone, that by saving your library DB (the folder you save it in) would save all your unique settings in addition to the media info.  So, formatting a computer and then selecting your library would bring back essentially every detail and setting appropriately.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
Re: Been awhile...complete data store in library DB?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 03:48:09 am »

+1

dspargo

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 05:27:55 am »

Ditto

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 07:58:34 am »

I'm always for storing as much as possible in the library backup... it is indeed a chore to laboriously go through the options menu each time you do a fresh install. That's not a criticism of the options menu at all! Just that it's nicer to set it up once and be done with it :)

I'd like to keep recently used expressions / rename functions, file save locations and auto-import options specifically.

ADDiCT

• World Citizen
  • I'm a bad llama!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 08:30:28 am »

An import/export functionality for user settings (XML, text file, something like that) would be fine, too. Would beat editing registry keys, and the import could be parsed if future MC versions change the way settings are configured.

benn600

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 09:21:45 am »

Please take a look at the way Firefox and Thunderbird handle this.  Literally about every last detail is stored in your profile.  And there's a simple text file that lists profiles / default profile.  So on a freshly formatted computer, I just copy a specially created folder to C: which overwrites exactly the right file for Firefox, Thunderbird, and Sunbird.  In ONE step, I've completed all Mozilla app setup on that computer.

For MC, I have to load a registry file and if I later decide to change a setting, I wouldn't be willing to go update all the computers.  I'm pleased to see so much support.  Perhaps a response on why this can't be done since it never seems to be considered?

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 09:35:43 am »

I am extremely interested in this being done, hopefully in the MC13 cycle, as this is a request that has been made repeatedly over several MC incarnations.
I cannot understand why this might be undesirable in any way as it works very well for many of the programs I use and makes it a simple matter to restore your customized setup after a Windows reinstall or when placing it onto another PC.

Please include thumbnails as well if possible . . . . it takes forever to rebuild several hundred-thousand thumbnails, even on a rather fast machine.

. . . the game is rigged

benn600

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 11:24:52 am »

I am extremely interested in this being done, hopefully in the MC13 cycle, as this is a request that has been made repeatedly over several MC incarnations.

You ain't kidding.  Here is the FIRST post I made on Interact, probably only hours after discovering MC from the official FLAC web site.
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=34187.msg233242

My first post was on June 13, 2006, 02:12:09 AM

...very strange that it was at 2 in the morning...oh well, discovering MC calls for an all-nighter.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 01:05:44 pm »

Perhaps a response on why this can't be done since it never seems to be considered?

Can't recall the reason but has to be a common request.

Does it tie hands in a fast moving envrionment ?

If so then we prefer it continues to remain fast moving and manage as always  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up