INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transferring customization to a new computer  (Read 1080 times)

gt93grad

• World Citizen
Transferring customization to a new computer
« on: January 12, 2009, 08:31:03 pm »

OK, so I've been setting Media Player up on a test computer.  I have my MP3 files on an external drive, and I've also installed the software on the external drive.  My idea was to just move the external drive back and forth between my test computer and live computer.  However, I see that the customizations I made on the test computer--new custom fields, default skin, views, etc.--aren't showing up on the new computer.  I have to recreate them.  What files can I copy from the test computer to the new computer so I don't have to recreate them?   What files are missing?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Transferring customization to a new computer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:43:01 pm »

Sounds like your database files. These are generally stored in the Documents and setting > Application Data location of your local machine.

You can clone your database to your portable HDD from the File menu, then set your MC examples up to look at that database, not the default one created on your local machines.

You probably don't need MC installed on your portable HDD, just the library database.

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 10:50:14 pm »

Well, that seemed to work fairly well.  I guess I can just backup and restore each time I change computers.  Only thing is that it didn't seem to keep my New Field (Artist Sort).  Any idea why not?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 12:06:27 am »

Are you sure it's simply not displaying the field rather than not importing it at all?

Do you have this field as submitting to tags? Maybe that's it. Am just guessing though...  :(

gt93grad

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:12:01 am »

Yeah, it shows up as a tag on the test machine, but it's not there at all on the new machine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up