INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ crashing during playback or playlist modification  (Read 2242 times)

LynelleV

• Recent member
MJ crashing during playback or playlist modification
« on: January 20, 2009, 09:09:56 am »

I have the current up to date version of MJ, runnig on an XP laptop that is also up to date with windows service packs and updates.

A couple weeks ago MJ started crashing intermittently.  I've narrowed it down, it happens when I modify the playlist using "add to playlist" or reorder the songs in a playlist by drag&drop.  It's not that I'm modifying the song that's playing, these are songs farther down the playlist.

I expect that you will say to re-install MJ.  I just wondered if you would like to have any debug information, logs, or whatever before I do.

Thx
Lynelle

LynelleV

• Recent member
Re: MJ crashing when I modify a playlist while a song is playing
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:36:06 pm »

Well, I reinstalled.
It made no difference.  The thing still crashes whenever I modify the playlist.

LynelleV

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 02:43:27 pm »

Just started crashing when PLAYING from a playlist - no modification being done.
This stinks.

LynelleV

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 08:15:35 am »

I guess I will try deinstalling everything, clearing all registry entries, and reinstalling.
Since there have been no responses at all.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:25:27 am »

When nobody responds, it often means that nobody knows.

I just tried duplicating this with MJ12.0.49 (from the top of this board).  It works as expected.

In my signature, there is a thread called "Weird problems".  It has a long list of problems caused by bad drivers, virus checkers, etc.  It's worth a look.

LynelleV

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 12:09:41 pm »

Yes, I guessed that no response means no one knows.  I do software development and support for a living.  But no one responded to my question as to whether there was a log to upload or any information I should supply, either.

I have read the weird problems thread, so far as I can tell, nothing there applies.

I completely cleared my system of all remnants of Media Jukebox and then reinstalled it.  Lost all my playlists, but it's probably just as well in case they were corrupted.  We'll see if that helps.

LynelleV

• Recent member
Re: MJ crashing during playback or playlist modification
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 09:06:44 am »

The clean reinstall didn't help at all.  The thing just stops and disappears while running. No error messages or anything.  Next time I run it, it says it didn't shutdown properly (duh) and shows the checklist of options for recovery.  Nothing seems to help, and since I'm running this at work I can't waste any more time on it.

It's too bad because MJ has all the features I want and was a good player until this started happening.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 09:23:21 am »

Are you using any plug-ins?  Last.fm/audioscrobbler was a problem at one time if you weren't logged in.

If you're using it at work, your IT department may be in control.

LynelleV

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 08:34:29 am »

The only addition I've made to MJ is to add the current LAME encoder for ripping CDs to MP3.  The settings are -V 2.

IT definitely has a say over this computer, in that according to company policy I must keep the company's chosen virus checker, firewall, client support software, and development toolset installed and up to date, as well as the current set of windows updates, but I have admin rights and can tweak the system as much as I want (as long as I don't try to get them to support/debug my tweaks.  That makes them irritable :) ).

I'm generally pretty good at figuring out what's going on with misbehaving software, but there doesn't seem to be any clue when MJ shuts down.  No logs, no error messages, nothing.  I did get the a "memory address violation" message once, but that was when restarting MJ for the 4th time after it had died, and I've never seen it before or since.  Probably an artifact of so many restarts.

LynelleV

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 08:35:58 am »

It just occured to me, maybe I should try a previous version of MJ.
I don't think I ever saw this problem with .47, the last version I had before this one.
I'll try that.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2009, 08:36:59 am »

Please try this article on our Wiki:
http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Crashes
Pages: [1]   Go Up