INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is MC13 fully 32bit?  (Read 1808 times)

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Is MC13 fully 32bit?
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:09:00 pm »

Just wondering.  MSFT is depreciating support for mixed 16/32 bit applications Real Soon Now.  It barely works in Vista and is supposed to be completely removed from Win7 by the time that goes gold in a few months.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: Is MC13 fully 32bit?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:22:50 pm »

Ha!  I don't think it's even a question.  16-bit apps are ancient, aren't they?

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:05:18 am »

It much more of them than you think... Especialy business applications. Many lazy developers who havent updated the code. I highly doubt that MC13 is one of them though.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 11:09:53 am »

Media Center is fully 32-bit.

The code is in good shape for a 64-bit compile, but this remains a couple versions out on the roadmap.  Microsoft and Intel did a nice job of keeping great performance running 32-bit applications under a 64-bit environment, so we don't see a compelling reason for a native 64-bit version.  It would be the same, just bigger and a little slower.

For what it's worth, I've been developing Media Center under Vista x64 for a while now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

newsposter

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 03:58:44 pm »

Thanks Matt.

Benn, you really need to pay attention to what is still running in the computer industry if you want to establish credibility wiht potential employers.  There will always be legacy code and applications that require maintenance.  Cobol programmers are among the highest paid around, surpassing those who can program in 'web2' (hahahaha) by a factor of 2:1 and more.

raldo

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 04:40:29 pm »

Thanks Matt.

Benn, you really need to pay attention to what is still running in the computer industry if you want to establish credibility wiht potential employers.  There will always be legacy code and applications that require maintenance.  Cobol programmers are among the highest paid around, surpassing those who can program in 'web2' (hahahaha) by a factor of 2:1 and more.

No wonder they're paid twice as much. Check out this citation from wikipedia "...computer scientist and Turing Award recipient Edsger Dijkstra remarked that "The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be regarded as a criminal offense."

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 05:13:45 pm »

Thanks.  I'm well aware, though, as many of my fellow students in college -- adults -- still program in Cobol doing exactly what you described: updating legacy code.  Of course banks have a big need.

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 10:10:43 am »

I never heard of this Cobol thing...

I would like a native x64 version of MC though. But shouldn't that perform better? It was my understanding that x64 stuff, though bigger in filesize, had some edge in performance on x32. But I guess it's a matter of implementation. Anyway, it should be more stable? MC does crash... although very occascionally.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 10:19:52 am »

MC does crash... although very occascionally.
Turn on logging in MC Help and send us a log next time it does.  Look for "crash" in the log file.

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 10:38:28 am »

The biggest improvement from 32 to 64 bit is the increased bandwith when it comes to memory. I guess the processor will be able to do larger amount, or "bigger" calculations to, but the main advantage comes with the memory handeling. You'll be able to use much more memory on a normal computer as long as you have a 64 bit system. Because J River Media Center uses such small amount of memory, I doubt you would see much preformance gain.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying
Pages: [1]   Go Up