INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View and Video  (Read 1755 times)

strebormj

• Recent member
Theater View and Video
« on: January 25, 2009, 04:14:32 pm »

I would.  I already have replaced DVD players with computers in every room.  I recently bought a small Dell Studio Hybrid for this very purpose.  I'm still on the "lookout" for a couple of cheap, low-power computers for playing media off a NAS, and watching Netflix on-demand movies.

That being said, for the decor-appropriate, TV-attached PC market, I think there are a things that MC should address:

1.  Kiosk adaptation of theater mode:  Have a theater mode that runs from startup to shutdown, requiring a password to be disabled.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now, you can't shut down Windows from inside of MC theater mode (like you can in XBMC or WMC) or start up MC in theater mode when Windows starts.  A specialized internet/media PC ought to take over the user experience, and reduce the need to do anything in the Windows shell or IE.

2.  Plugins for major online video vendors (e.g., Netflix.com), and a fully-functional browser control/plugin for theater/kiosk mode:   Right now, I have to close MC theater mode and bring up IE if I want to watch anything on Netflix or Gootube. 

3.  Improved support for video libraries.  I've experienced a fair amount of flakiness with playback of my video library through MC 12, and judging from this forum, I'm not the only one.  In the future, I think more people will be wanting to stream movies from a central DAS or NAS and the media center application that offers the best searching, sorting, and playback of videos is going to take the lead.  MC's "configurability" is admirable, but MC also needs a "simple" mode that reduces the need for the user to visit this forum and figure out how to get things working that "just work" in other applications. :)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Theater View and Video
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 04:27:54 pm »

That being said, for the decor-appropriate, TV-attached PC market, I think there are a things that MC should address:

1.  Kiosk adaptation of theater mode:  Have a theater mode that runs from startup to shutdown, requiring a password to be disabled.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but right now, you can't shut down Windows from inside of MC theater mode (like you can in XBMC or WMC) or start up MC in theater mode when Windows starts.  A specialized internet/media PC ought to take over the user experience, and reduce the need to do anything in the Windows shell or IE.

2.  Plugins for major online video vendors (e.g., Netflix.com), and a fully-functional browser control/plugin for theater/kiosk mode:   Right now, I have to close MC theater mode and bring up IE if I want to watch anything on Netflix or Gootube. 

3.  Improved support for video libraries.  I've experienced a fair amount of flakiness with playback of my video library through MC 12, and judging from this forum, I'm not the only one.  In the future, I think more people will be wanting to stream movies from a central DAS or NAS and the media center application that offers the best searching, sorting, and playback of videos is going to take the lead.  MC's "configurability" is admirable, but MC also needs a "simple" mode that reduces the need for the user to visit this forum and figure out how to get things working that "just work" in other applications. :)

Woud you please copy that part of your post to a new thread since it deserves discussion, and it's off topic in this thread.

strebormj

• Recent member
Theater View and Video
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 08:20:33 pm »

Woud you please copy that part of your post to a new thread since it deserves discussion, and it's off topic in this thread.

Sorry.  I meant that as "I would buy one if conditions A, B, and C were met." 

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Theater View and Video
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:12:55 pm »

Media Center, recently, has added the ability to shut down the entire computer, restart, etc.  Just don't hookup a keyboard/mouse and you've got something like that.  My remotes are configured so all buttons START media center if it isn't running.  Once it is running, the buttons change to the keyboard shortcuts Media Center needs.  So in any worst case, the PC boots and auto logs on, so hitting a single button will immediately start MC.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Theater View and Video
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 10:20:16 pm »

Media Center, recently, has added the ability to shut down the entire computer, restart, etc.  Just don't hookup a keyboard/mouse and you've got something like that.  My remotes are configured so all buttons START media center if it isn't running.  Once it is running, the buttons change to the keyboard shortcuts Media Center needs.  So in any worst case, the PC boots and auto logs on, so hitting a single button will immediately start MC.

Not a bad little idea!

strebormj

• Recent member
Re: Theater View and Video
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 10:39:52 am »

Media Center, recently, has added the ability to shut down the entire computer, restart, etc. 

Mind sharing how to do that, and what version that feature is in?  Also, if you're not using a keyboard, how are you getting around the Windows login -- by disabling it?

I actually use Logitech diNovo Mini's for my MC HTPC's.  I need the keyboard feature in order to login to Windows and be able to manage MC, including quickly getting to the files I want to play.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 10:58:10 am »

MC13 has an improved Theater View.  The feature you're asking for is shown here.

And here's a list of new MC13 features.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 04:47:44 pm »

MC already has most of those, barring the "Require a pssword to exit theatre view" which I think is quite a good suggestion.

To start MC in Theater View, simply go to

Tools > Options > Startup and you can set it to open every time in Theater View.

To get MC to start with windows, if you're using XP, add a shortcut to the Startup folder in your Start menu. It will open automatically to the view you've setup in the startup options.

As mentioned already, you can shutdown your computer from Theater View from the Exit Menu, though I use the sleep option as it allows for quicker startups.

strebormj

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 04:52:39 pm »

MC13 has an improved Theater View.  The feature you're asking for is shown here.

And here's a list of new MC13 features.

Thanks, Jim.

I'll have to look into upgrading from 12.x.
Pages: [1]   Go Up