INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: January Thaw on Wednesday  (Read 1705 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
January Thaw on Wednesday
« on: January 26, 2009, 06:53:21 pm »

In Minnesota, where we work, not far from Canada, we usually enjoy something called the "January Thaw".  It's a day or two of warm weather in January.  Something happens to the weather patterns, they go a little off track, and we get an idea of what water is like in other parts of the world -- liquid not solid.

This year, we haven't had anything close to a Thaw.  We have had some very "solid" days.  25 below Farenheit was our low, and we had a few days when the temperature didn't get above zero F.  For celcius lovers, the low was around minus 26, and the low high was around minus 17. 

I have located my Old Long Underwear, purchased in about 1975, and now declared an historic relic by Herself.  I wonder how I forgot the pleasure.

This is just a lot of words to set the stage for ... Wednesday, when we will enjoy weather that may approach freezing.  If it gets there, in the sun, the roads will be wet, and not frozen for a few brief moments.

It isn't a lot to cling to, but it's what we got here, and we're going with it, eh?

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Re: January Thaw on Wednesday
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 11:08:23 pm »

I can pleasingly say Iowa is about the same.  Of course it's only a 4-6 hour drive so we're not too far away.  I still do like those horrible, snowy, blizzard days when everyone just has to stay home because it is that bad.

Those days with -40 degree wind chills at night were definitely worth noticing.  Those are the sad days when the outer edges and corners of the house get bitterly cold, no matter how high the thermostat is set.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
Re: January Thaw on Wednesday
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:02:50 am »

It's Global Cooling
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up