INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie database - alternative way forward?  (Read 1837 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Movie database - alternative way forward?
« on: January 30, 2009, 05:24:02 am »

There are lots of posts about improving the DVD/video library capabilities in MC, and a suggestion that the guys will be working on this over the next few months.

It's just a suggestion, but perhaps there is an alternative way forward which might split the job and make it easier.

I'm also a MCE user, and have my DVD collection stored in My Movies. Not perfect, but better that the Microsoft version (even at W7). I've followed threads on the My Movies forum where the developers have acknowledged that they will inevitably be squeezed by Microsoft, and that the need for the My Movies interface could reduce or even disappear. They see one possible view of their future as being a data provider to a variety of different front ends.

So why not MC? My Movies has a dedicated following, who I imagine (based on my own experience) would be very pleased to see a more configurable and attractive front end.

MC gets an easy route into a full dvd library application, a rich database, and possibly lots of new paying customers.

Any thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Movie database - alternative way forward?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 08:30:15 am »

Interesting.  Do you have a contact?

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:56:44 am »

Brian Binnerup is the main man over at My Movies. I don't have a direct email but he's a regular contributor/administrator. The thread is

http://www.mymovies.dk/forum.aspx?g=posts&t=11076

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

nuke2000

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:28:38 am »

I light heartedly suggested this in the thread 'so close yet so far' MyMovies does the job well and as as stricko says has a dedicated following and could be the perfect plug in for MC

*edit - After reading your post stricko over at MyMovies i would however like to make a distinction between Movies and Video's. MC handles regular Video's perfectly. If we are talking video's classified as movies then fine but as far as my videos that are not full dvd iso's or rips to folders i like MC's handling of my video library just the way it is.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 10:32:45 am »

I also use My Movies and would welcome such a step.

TLS

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:32:24 pm »

Brian Binnerups e-mail is brian at binnerup  -- dk

TLS

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 05:20:07 pm »

It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

The response doesn't seem promising. Using them as a data provider (as he suggests, as described in the wiki: Using My Movies Data) seems rather restrictive.

While full integration with My Movies or something like it would be nice, that's not going to satisfy everyone. I use video database software that is far more appropriate to my needs. As discussed here, it's easy to export/import the information via XML. It's interesting to note this seems to be the only practical means of integrating My Movies as well—as the other options are too restrictive.

The first thing JRiver needs to do is enhance Theater View so there is a configurable means of displaying meta data—particularly for video media. I think most would agree, we want to be able to see things like lists (e.g., actors) and memo fields (e.g., movie synopsis), as well as easier-to-handle string fields. It seems this is what they are working on now. Once that's done, there will be a lot more interest in how to populate those fields.

Regardless of what specific solutions might materialize (e.g., a direct connection to a video database back end), XML export/import will probably remain the most viable solution for the most users. This technique allows users to select the back end for gathering information that best suits their needs. All that is required is that it be able to export XML. A "built-in" web service would be the most convenient solution for most users, but that's probably only feasible as a paid subscription service. In any case, some of us would not want to use such a service, or allow it to interfere with information from our preferred source.

MrHaugen

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:30:55 pm »

I agree. Only thing that can probably be used is the database it self, and I doubt they will give it away for free.
A subscribed service would be more than ok for me though. For a reasonable price offcource...
A simple export and import would also do the trick, but we do need a way to add most used data to theater view.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 12:00:56 am »

Interesting stuff guys
Pages: [1]   Go Up