INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC13 Press Release  (Read 2384 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
MC13 Press Release
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:01:44 pm »

Anyone think of something important that I've missed here?

A New Category of Media Software?
JRiver Releases Media Center 13 (A Media OS?)

JRiver has released its latest all-in-one media manager/player, ripper, burner, server, sync-toy, etc.  "The hard part for download sites is that there is no software category big enough to fit MC.", says Jim Hillegass, CEO.

MC has a consistent interface and the power to manage several million audio, video, image, and document files, along with podcasts and web media.  It uses JRiver's skinning engine so it can morph its appearance.  It can sync files to an iPod, but it can also sync to a RAZR, an Android, a PSP, or hundreds of other handhelds.  It can serve files to a TiVo, but it can also serve another PC, or most DLNA or UPnP devices, even a PS3.

The latest version completes JRiver's TV support, so HD recording, using an EPG, is possible from a USB stick.  Pause, rewind, fast forward, jump. 

The player has services and links to Amazon MP3, Audible, Youtube, Google, Wikipedia, and content from MediaNet.  It integrates flawlessly with Last.FM, Flickr, and Facebook.

A slick Ten Foot mode and programmable remote control support the couch potato in all of us.  Play DVD, video, live or recorded TV, read the news, jump to a program by filetype, or surf in comfort and style with a five button remote.

Audiophile features include ASIO, WASAPI, a range of lossless options.  Multizone playback can handle several sessions of different media simultaneously.

MC is perhaps more a Media OS rather than a media player.  There are API's, database queries, smartlists, expressions, custom plug-ins, and a cast of supporting servers for metadata, cover art, e-commerce, and account management. 

"Wherever our customers go, we follow," says Matt Ashland, CTO.  "On our forum, they push us hard all the time, so we're constantly adding support for the things they're doing."

Or as one user put it, "It's a unique development model.  New incremental features added daily, many in response to user community suggestions, and all immediately tested by a dedicated group of volunteer beta testers. Turn around time from idea to general release is often just a week."  Or as still another put it, "It just blows away iTunes and WMP".

rjm

Re: Draft Press Release
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:20:51 pm »

Another thing that makes you unique is your development model.

New incremental features added every day, many of which in response to user community suggestions, and all immediately tested by a dedicated group of volunteer beta testers. Turn around time from idea to general release is usually no more than one week.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28:01 pm »

Thanks, RJM.  Perfect.  I added it (with a few changes to reduce the size).  Begging your permission, of course.

rjm

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 01:31:29 pm »

Another thing that is unique and does not jump out from your draft is consistent and powerful management of all media types: audio, video, images, and documents.

MC satisfies the needs of people that want to collect, organize, and play any combination of music, movies, photos, audiobooks, podcasts, and e-books.

rjm

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 01:32:46 pm »

Thanks, RJM.  Perfect.  I added it (with a few changes to reduce the size).  Begging your permission, of course.
feel free to change or discard anything, just throwing out ideas

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 01:34:03 pm »

Thanks.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 01:37:37 pm »

MC satisfies the needs of people that want to collect, organize, and play any combination of music, movies, photos, audiobooks, podcasts, and e-books.
MC satisfies the needs of people that want to collect, organize, and play any combination of music, dvds, video, TV, photos, audiobooks, podcasts, and e-books.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 01:48:13 pm »

This is what I would add:

JRiver has released its latest all in one media manager/player, ripper, burner, server, sync-toy, etc.  "The hard part for download sites is that there is no software category big enough to fit MC, and yet it blows away iTunes and WMP .", says Jim Hillegass, CEO.

MC can manage a library of several million audio tracks, movies, and images without blinking an eye.  It uses JRiver's skinning engine, so it can morph into just about anything a user desires and includes the potential for literally thousands of different ways to organize media based on its one and only 'View Scheme' engine.  It can sync files to an iPod, but it can also sync to a RAZR, an Android, a PSP and dozens of other handhelds.  It can serve files to a TiVo, but it can also serve most any modern DLNA or UPnP device, even a PS3.

The latest version completes JRiver's TV support, so HD recording, using an EPG, is possible from a USB stick.  Pause, rewind, fast forward, jump. 

The player has services and links to Amazon MP3, Audible, Youtube, Google, Wikipedia, and content from MediaNet.  It integrates flawlessly with Last.FM, Flickr, and Facebook.

A slick Ten Foot HTPC mode and programmable remote control support the couch potato in all of us.  Play DVD, video, live or recorded TV, read the news, jump to another program, or surf in comfort and style with a five button remote.

Audiophile features include ASIO, WASAPI, a range of lossless options.  Multizone playback can handle several sessions of different media simultaneously.

MC is transforming into a Media OS rather than a media player.  There are API's, database queries, smartlists, expressions, custom plug-ins, external program launch for any file type, and a cast of supporting servers for metadata, cover art, e-commerce, and account management. 

"Wherever our customers go, we follow," says Matt Ashland, CTO.  "On our forum, they push us hard all the time, so we're constantly adding support for the things they're doing.  It's a big win-win."

Or as one user said, "It's a unique development model.  New incremental features added daily, many in response to user community suggestions, and all immediately tested by a dedicated group of volunteer beta testers. Turn around time from idea to general release is usually within a week.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 01:58:27 pm »

What if we did the first-ever press release that was a wiki?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 02:00:53 pm »

dat,
Thanks!  I've made changes, subject to your permission.

Jim

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 02:04:28 pm »

dat,
Thanks!  I've made changes, subject to your permission.

Jim

I'll need to consult with my lawyer!
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 03:06:09 pm »

I'll need to consult with my lawyer!
It's too late.  We've gone to press:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/press60.html

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: MC13 Press Release
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 03:45:21 pm »

"Wherever our customers go, we follow," says Matt Ashland, CTO. "On our forum, they push us hard all the time, so we're constantly adding support for the things they're doing."

Us??  Push you hard??  You must be talkin' bout someone else.   ;D

Ha ha.

Nice work guys, as usual (so far, anyway, cos God knows we won't ever let it be "done").
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 01:49:09 am »

Congratulations J River Team. Take a breather. You guys have been working really hard on MC13 lately :).

Thanks,
Osho

eba

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 10:20:06 am »

Nice :) though you haven't corrected the typo, 'integratest', as pointed out by datdude  :P

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 10:32:54 am »

Nice :) though you haven't corrected the typo, 'integratest', as pointed out by datdude  :P
Fixed.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up