INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DTSWAVsource.ax needed for dts-in-wav playback  (Read 6565 times)

Fonzo

• Recent member
DTSWAVsource.ax needed for dts-in-wav playback
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:30:23 pm »

I just installed the trial-version of MC13 after a clean XP Pro install. Now, I'm getting only pink noise when playing DTS 5.1 .wav files (16-bit Redbook standard) files. I have an Intel DG45ID mobo with optical TOS-link to a DTS-receiver. I found this manual: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DTS_WAV.

What I need is the DTSWav Source Plugin from Hypercubemx, but the link is dead, nor can it be found somewhere else.

Can someone please show me where I can find this plug-in? Thanks for your help!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DTSWAVsource.ax needed for dtis-in-wav playback
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 01:39:23 pm »

Try switching MC's playback options between Direct Sound and Wave Out.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 01:58:53 pm »

Now, I'm getting only pink noise when playing these files. I have an Intel DG45ID mobo with optical TOSlink to a DTS-capable receiver. I found this manual: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/DTS_WAV.
Also take a look at ASIO on our wiki.

There is also Audiophile Info on the wiki, with links to other threads.

Fonzo

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 02:29:49 pm »

Thanks for your quick reply. But unfortunately, nogo. I wish it was that easy. :) I changed both options in Tools-Options-Output Mode and Tools-Options-Direct playback settings-Audio renderer to WaveOut, but still static. Both options are now set to DirectShow again.

- I installed the latest ffdshow version of 9 feb. I used the settings as described in the link above.
- DTS 5.1 (and DD 5.1) on DVDs works fine. FFDshow is used (icon in systray), but I quess this DTS-stream is just passed-through to my DTS-receiver for external decoding.
- Zoom player and MPC (as part of CCCP) also play 16-bit 5.1 DTS (RedbookCD) with static only btw.
- I also tried to rename .wav to .dtswav, but was unable to import them in MC13. They just don't show up, so I was unable to rename them to .dts and audio. But it worked before without importing and renaming in MC13/Windows 7.
- I didn't make selection of filters in Directshow Playback Options-DirectShow filters, yet.

Selecting ASIO gives an error: "Playback could not be started on the output ASIO...". I tried a few settings in Output Format (16-bit, 5.1, 44,1 KHz), but still noise. Btw, I know about ASIO, because my previous soundcard was an M-Audio USB ASIO one. Had the same problems, but in the end it did work.

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:37:02 pm »

FWIW I have it (dtswav) working on Vista 64 using analog-out of the soundcard.

In JRMC13...
Options
   Playback > Video (?) > DirectShow playback settings...
      click on File Type dts, click on Select Filters
      Source Filter: AC3File
      Other Filter: ffdshow Audio Decoder
   File Type
      DTS Audio (dts): Playback Method > JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter)

It's kind of awkward handling these files in MC - I import them as .dtswav files and then change the type in MC to be dts.  I would love for there to be a 'dtswav' type in MC so that everytime I move/rename I don't have to fix those files, but I digress :)

I can't remember if I used DTSWAVSource.ax or not to get this to work on my system...  I do see that it doesn't seem to be around anymore - I have copy saved, v1.2, let me know an email if you would like me to send it (80kb).

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:46:14 pm »

<snip>
- I also tried to rename .wav to .dtswav, but was unable to import them in MC13. They just don't show up, so I was unable to rename them to .dts and audio. But it worked before without importing and renaming in MC13/Windows 7.
</snip>

Regarding above issue, I think if you import them as .dtswav, then MC thinks they are data instead of audio files.  Besides my other post, I recommend you try the following:

- import the file(s) as .wav files
- make sure media type (one of the MC fields) for the tracks are set to Audio
- change the file type (one of the MC fields) for the tracks to be dtswav
- rename/move so that the files are renamed and have .dtswav extension when viewed in windows explorer
- change the file type for the tracks to be dts  (but do not do another rename/move - you want the file extension when viewed in explorer to be ".dtswav" but the file type in the jrmc gui to be "dts")

JimH

• Administrator
Re: DTSWAVsource.ax needed for dts-in-wav playback
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:03:47 pm »

Bill,
Where did you get the files?

Fonzo

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:09:20 pm »

Regarding above issue, I think if you import them as .dtswav, then MC thinks they are data instead of audio files.  Besides my other post, I recommend you try the following:

Thanks, tried that but nogo. Tried the method described in the DTS WAV link (I found the .dtswav imported files in MC13 Documents). Renamed them, but that doesn't work as well.

I think the problem is more filter-related, rather than MC13. On the other hand, some renaming options makes MC13 unstable, erratic mouse, no access to buttons.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 03:43:51 pm »

DTS wav files can be obtained by ripping a DTS audio CD. A DTS audio CD contains DTS encoded audio that is wrapped inside a regular 44.1 KHz, 16-bit, 2 channel, PCM audio stream (it conforms Red Book). A DTS capable HT receiver can decode the stream if the playback chain is bit perfect.

Ripped DTS wav files can be played directly using MC's internal wav decoder and the ASIO output mode if the sound device supports ASIO and can transmit unaltered 44.1 KHz signal to SPDIF. ASIO bypasses the Windows Kernel mixer. Naturally also all DSP features must be disabled inside MC.

Direct DTS wav playback is not possible through DirectSound or Wave Out on XP with standard audio drivers. The Windows Kernel mixer always alters the signal slightly.

Alternatively the DirectShow SPDIF pass through system can be used. DTSWAVSource.ax is a splitter filter that makes possible to play files with the .dtswav extension through DirectShow. It does not contain a DTS decoder.

I don't know if an onboard sound device can work with 44.1 KHz files. The integrated devices used to be limited to 48 KHz SPDIF output, but maybe the new motherboards have better devices.

I attached the DTSWAVSource.ax filter from my archive. (You must be logged in to see the attachment.)
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Bill S

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 04:06:08 pm »

Bill,
Where did you get the files?

Hi Jim!  Looks like Alex has just covered it pretty well (Alex, I think some of your earlier posts helped me set this up originally, that and some by Glynor - a big thank you to both).  FWIW I've ripped a bunch of "dts music discs" (aka dts cd) such as McCartney's "Band On The Run".  These rip like normal CD and end up as dtswav files (with a "wav" file extension) on my hard drive.  Besides commercial dts music discs (which can be hard to find these days in bricks and mortar stores) there are also a lot of home made dts CDs 'floating around' consisting of transcoded 70s quad - some of these are pretty good listening in surround, and you don't have to have the hassle of a quad hardware decoders and playback devices.  In fact now I listen more often to surround (with MC of course) with ripped commercial dts CDs, ripped converted quad dts CDs, ripped DVD-Audios (commerical/quad) and some multichannel SACDs I've recoreded to multichannel lossless wma files  :)

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 04:11:05 pm »

Thanks, Bill and Alex.

Fonzo

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 04:35:37 pm »

In fact now I listen more often to surround (with MC of course) with ripped commercial dts CDs,:)

Same here, but I'm stuck with pink noise in stead of Pink Floyd. Luckily, I still have the SACD. :-)

Oh, I disabled pass-through of DTS in ffdshow (Output) and now I'm getting Stereo in ZP and MPC when playing dts .wav files. But also stereo in .mkv movies with DTS 5.1 audio. My receiver shows PCM 48Khz. And these .mkv files had correct DTS 5.1 audio in MC13 when pass-through is selected in ffdshow.

Fonzo

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 02:14:57 pm »

Ripped DTS wav files can be played directly using MC's internal wav decoder and the ASIO output mode if the sound device supports ASIO and can transmit unaltered 44.1 KHz signal to SPDIF. ASIO bypasses the Windows Kernel mixer. Naturally also all DSP features must be disabled inside MC.

Got it working now! Installed ASIO4ALL drivers in Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, selected ASIO as Output Mode in M13, et voila: 5.1 DTS sound! Make sure the sound card is recognized in the ASIO4ALL settings and deselect the "Always Resample 44.1kHz <-> 48kHz" option. I assume it should work in XP as well.

Next project: DTS-HD and TrueHD over HDMI 1.3. :)

Everybody thanks for the support!
Pages: [1]   Go Up