INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good HTPC case for JRMC13 to display pertinent information?  (Read 1488 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Good HTPC case for JRMC13 to display pertinent information?
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:09:07 pm »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163084

^^ i'm looking at the following case. would i be able to display things like artist/title of currently playing song with this case on the lcd display? what about weather? a clock? using JRMC13, of course...

if not, what cases would i need to look at that could do all of this and maybe more (display boxart of currently playing DVD or cover of album etc etc)

Efjay

• World Citizen
Re: Good HTPC case for JRMC13 to display pertinent information?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 03:46:08 pm »

I'm not certain such a display would display any info from MC. Similar requests for vcd support have merited little support from forum members. I would love such support considering that gact that many of the 'better' cases come with some sort of display.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 04:03:33 pm »

There was a plug-in once that used LCD Smartie, a free program.  Here's a starting point:

http://forums.lcdsmartie.org/viewtopic.php?t=617&highlight=river+media+center+centre&sid=c9c0533b5ea7f8e0bd8281867b084d6e

Someone would probably have to bring it up to date.  You could search for an old thread on our forum and post there.

Efjay

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:21:36 pm »

There was a plug-in once that used LCD Smartie, a free program.  Here's a starting point:

http://forums.lcdsmartie.org/viewtopic.php?t=617&highlight=river+media+center+centre&sid=c9c0533b5ea7f8e0bd8281867b084d6e

Someone would probably have to bring it up to date.  You could search for an old thread on our forum and post there.

I'd stay away from this plug-in. In general it works, but I found that it would cause lock-ups in MC 12. Much more trouble than it's worth. Your mileage may vary...

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 01:08:36 pm »

That is a monstrous and expensive HTPC case!  I've never quite figured out why HTPCs need a display to show playing content.  You've got a nice display why not use it?  If it is a projector, it's a different story because there is some warm-up and cool-down time plus the bulbs burn out.  But in that case, it's likely a theater environment and you would be less likely to have the equipment hooked up to secondary speakers--which would signify a case where you would want a little display somewhere.

I'm a fan of very cheap HTPCs because then it's not so expensive to build several of them.  Even the cheapest ones don't have any trouble with 1080p video these days.
Pages: [1]   Go Up