INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View Going Slow (Resolved)  (Read 2843 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Theater View Going Slow (Resolved)
« on: March 07, 2009, 03:43:07 am »

My Theater view all of a sudden seems unusable due to sluggishness of animation.
I'm going to try updating graphics drivers but I've not changed them in over a year and it was working fine.
CPU/Memory usage on machine is also unchanged.
Anyone else seeing this?

datdude

• MC Beta Team
Re: Theater View Going Slow
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 03:53:28 am »

It is pretty smooth to me, although switching between views takes a few seconds if there are smartlists in them.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 03:54:57 am »

hmm strange... updated graphics drivers didn't do anything...
eugh i hate problems like this!  :)

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 04:07:38 am »

Ah got it, Logging was turned on.  Combined with the portable drive install more disk access seemed to happening than the drive could throughput.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Theater View Going Slow (Resolved)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:49:41 pm »

What specific logging features did you have enabled?  I always keep Logging enabled and I've noticed Theater View was acting sluggish lately.

This is a relatively recent change.  A month or two ago some optimizations were made that cleared up all of my Theater View sluggishness, but lately I've noticed that it is back with a vengeance.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 08:18:18 am »

All of them were enabled.  I turned it on a while back to try and catch MC crashing when closing DVD's which was happening on and off.
I never caught the crash.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:51:29 pm »

Can someone suggest me where to enable or disable logging?

Thanks,
Osho

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 07:01:20 pm »

Osho... It's under the Help menu.

I just thought I'd mention, I disabled Logging and it made no difference.  Theater View is unusable on my 3.02 Ghz Pentium D (with an Nvidia 8700 GTX) at work.  It is usable (well, the lag is tolerable anyway) on my HTPC at home but certainly not "smooth".

Again, just a few short weeks ago, it was wonderful on both machines.  Something changed.  Perhaps the new Remote Control handling code?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 07:49:09 pm »

It may be that your video card can't keep up.  You can adjust the frame rate in MC/Tools/Options/Theater View.

You can see the frame rate in the upper left corner of the screen by hitting the break key.  Hit it twice more to exit.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 08:03:57 pm »

It may be that your video card can't keep up.  You can adjust the frame rate in MC/Tools/Options/Theater View.

My point is that if an Nvidia 7800 GTX 512MB video card can't keep up, and an ATI HD 4870 card can only barely keep up, then you're not leaving a whole lot of users with viable use cases.

I'm a gamer.  I buy high-end hardware.  That Nvidia card was a $600 card just a couple of years ago.  It still beats any laptop hardware out there, and beats the pants off of any integrated graphics chipset.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 03:35:32 pm »

My point is that if an Nvidia 7800 GTX 512MB video card can't keep up, and an ATI HD 4870 card can only barely keep up, then you're not leaving a whole lot of users with viable use cases.

I'm a gamer.  I buy high-end hardware.  That Nvidia card was a $600 card just a couple of years ago.  It still beats any laptop hardware out there, and beats the pants off of any integrated graphics chipset.

I agree. I just built a Core i7 3.2GHz extreme edition system with 6GB RAM running Vista 64. It has ATI X2400PRO 512MB card. The PC runs extremely fast for all applications that I have thrown at it (except gaming - I am not using this machine for games). All applications respond instantaneously except TheaterView.

Osho

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2009, 06:42:28 pm »

Even though that X2400 is only a hop above onboard graphics, it is still a discreet graphics solution (and a huge order of magnitude superior to even the latest Intel integrated graphics solution).  It should be absolutely completely overpowered for anything like this.

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 07:17:22 pm »

Even though that X2400 is only a hop above onboard graphics, it is still a discreet graphics solution (and a huge order of magnitude superior to even the latest Intel integrated graphics solution).  It should be absolutely completely overpowered for anything like this.

I disabled the Use high-quality drawing in Theater View Options and it did improve the performance. But, still, once in a while, there will be jerky display going between displays.

The system is a very high-end system (except for the discrete graphics card - which is relatively low end) - I can only imagine how slow it would be on a system with integrated graphics (which is over 50% of the systems out there).

Osho

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 04:49:25 am »

There's definately something strange going on here. I'm also seeing sluggish, stuttering animations. All thumbs are built and nothing else is going on (that I'm aware of). Theater view performance is usually very good on my systems.   
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

dgilgonzalez

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 10:12:56 am »

What motherboard and processor do you have in your system?

I have found performance problem with E8500 and E7400 (graphic very slow using Theater View) but with E4600 (cheaper that the others) system runs fine with same motherboard

Daniel

Osho

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 12:53:07 am »

What motherboard and processor do you have in your system?

I have found performance problem with E8500 and E7400 (graphic very slow using Theater View) but with E4600 (cheaper that the others) system runs fine with same motherboard

Daniel

I have Core i7 965 Extreme Edition (3.2GHz) processor with Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R motherboard.

Something definitely is going wrong with Theaterview - how else one would explain E4600 would run faster than E8500?

Osho
Pages: [1]   Go Up