INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live TV .... video "stops and starts" (about every second)  (Read 2528 times)

badger

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
Live TV .... video "stops and starts" (about every second)
« on: March 16, 2009, 05:37:48 pm »

My Hauppauge (which was working great with MC) died yesterday. I had an old ATI All-in-Wonder 9600xt that I installed and I haven't been able to get live TV to play correctly.  The video stops and starts about every second.  Otherwise the picture is good... and the audio is smooth.  when I close the full screen display, the minimized tv display seems to be playing fine.

Are there any adjustments I can play with for live TV in MC?  Do the direct show filters come into play here?  Any help to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Live TV .... video "stops and starts" (about every second)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 05:54:31 pm »

Directshow is a definite possibility.  Try the Configuration button below the channel listing.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:57:57 pm »

Right...but I don't seem to find any directshow settings under the configure button in TV.  The only place I find to change filters is under "file types".... and any  change I make don't seem to flow through to live TV. ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 02:00:41 pm »

Find the device in TV settings, then click Configure to the right.  It's in the TV section, not in the normal options section.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 02:09:20 pm »

There is no filter selection for analog TV tuners.

See if you can find any options under "Advanced Properties" on TV Configure window.  There may not be any though.  Do you get better of worse video in time-shifting mode?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 03:04:27 pm »

The only reference I found for time shifting was the checkbox "Start digital television in time shifting mode".  Checked or unchecked made no difference.  The only other option "FFdshow for post processing" also doesn't fix the problem.

Here's what's listed under directshow context when TV is playing"

-Default direct sound device
-video renderer
-ATI Rage Theater Video Capture
-ATI Rage Theater Video Crossbar
-ATI TV Audio Crossbar
-ATI TV Audio
-ATI TV Tuner

I installed CCCP, but MC isn't picking up any filters for live tv. :-\

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 03:37:42 pm »

The only reference I found for time shifting was the checkbox "Start digital television in time shifting mode". 

This has no effect on analog devices.  For analog TV time-shifting must be manually started.  To do so, just click Pause button (then unpause of course), or use right-click menu TV Options -> Start Time-shifting.

-ATI Rage Theater Video Capture
-ATI Rage Theater Video Crossbar
-ATI TV Audio Crossbar
-ATI TV Audio
-ATI TV Tuner

Does double-clicking "ATV Rage Theater Video Capture" give you anything that you can tweak with?

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 04:27:34 pm »

Time shifting mode fixes the (start / stop) of the video.... but the aspect ratio is off...really wide.  Thanks...what next?? :)

The only change I could make when double clicking (ATI rage capture) was the video standard...NTSC vs pal, etc.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 05:33:33 pm »

Time shifting mode fixes the (start / stop) of the video.... but the aspect ratio is off...really wide.  Thanks...what next?? :)

I think I might know this one.  Go to TV Configure \ Recording.  I bet the recording profile selected is "640 x 240 JRiver Codec, 29.97fps".  This is the default because analog video compression is CPU consuming so we picked a half-height video size.  You can change the Aspect ratio setting to 4:3 (instead of "Source Aspect Ratio") if you need to use this recording profile.  Otherwise change the recording profile to "640 x 480 JRiver Codec 29.97fps", or create a custom recording profile of your own.

badger

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 09:48:17 am »

Thanks Yaobing...setting to 640 x 480 fixed the aspect ratio.  The video still struggles a bit (a little jerky) so I have two questions.

-In time shifting mode, can I now adjust filters in "file types" that will be applied for live TV?

-I assume its not standard to have to view live tv in time shifting mode... correct?  I didn't need to be in time shifting mode with the Hauppauge card (also analog).

I'm going to see if there are updated drivers for display and capture for the 9600xt, but I will say that live tv plays fine when using the Multimedia Center software that came with the card.  Experience tells me that I will stumble on some setting in MC13 that will fix the problem.  I welcome any other ideas.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 05:00:40 pm »

Thanks Yaobing...setting to 640 x 480 fixed the aspect ratio.  The video still struggles a bit (a little jerky) so I have two questions.

-In time shifting mode, can I now adjust filters in "file types" that will be applied for live TV?

-I assume its not standard to have to view live tv in time shifting mode... correct?  I didn't need to be in time shifting mode with the Hauppauge card (also analog).

I'm going to see if there are updated drivers for display and capture for the 9600xt, but I will say that live tv plays fine when using the Multimedia Center software that came with the card.  Experience tells me that I will stumble on some setting in MC13 that will fix the problem.  I welcome any other ideas.

Ironically, ATI All in Wonder cards were the first few cards that we supported.  Back then, a few years ago, they worked well.  Unfortunately there is not much configuration that can be done in MC.

In time-shifting mode, you still can not do much about filter selection.  Filter selection for TV must be done in TV section, not in File Types.  Analog TV still is much less configurable than digital TV.  For analog TV, you can select which video encoder to use for time-shifting data files.  Playback should use the corresponding decoder (JRiver Video Codec is the default).

It is actually a good idea to always run TV in time-shifting mode, as long as your TV CPU/hard disk can handle it.  Most modern computers should have not problem.  With time-shifting on, you can pause, fast forward/rewind, and skip ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Up