INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC to stream music to another PC?  (Read 1262 times)

jwilson56

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
MC to stream music to another PC?
« on: March 20, 2009, 05:34:25 pm »

I am sure this has been discussed before but a quick search did not come up with anything.

I would like to be able to stream music from MC on my server pc to another pc sitting in my den. I am currently using v11 but would be happy to upgrade to a newer version if this was possible.

If it doesn't do this directly does anyone know the best way to handle it in-directly? Like running a virtual sound card for a zone and then have some application send the output to a client pc to play through its sound card.

Thanks

John

Now Playing skin creator - NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total

Visit My Nowplaying Blog

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: MC to stream music to another PC?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 06:09:05 pm »

Would you like to maintain the playlist on your server or use the computer in the den for that?

The latter is possible simply by using the built-in Library Server.

The former is not possible with MC, but you can create a local "internet radio station" that allows to listen to the played music on any computer on the LAN. For this you would need to install and configure additional software (freeware). The system isn't exactly easy to configure, but once done it should be easy to use.

I have explained the system here:
  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=28560.0
Shasta Mcnasty explained a similar setup here:
  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=45164.0
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 06:20:19 pm »

Someone should tell Ben about this - wasn't he after this too?

Rob L

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 06:54:28 pm »

There's now another option too... Jamcast.

It's primarily a UPnP server, but one of the functions it has is streaming the soundcard's audio output. You can use that whether you have a UPnP device or not.

At the moment, there are some limitations on Vista that mean that it won't be able to do that with all soundcards, but they're adding WASAPI support very shortly which will solve that problem.

I've always been put off the shoutcast type approach because it just sounds like it needs too many bits and pieces. Jamcast is nice and clean.

jwilson56

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 09:18:36 pm »

So MC can play through Jamcast to another PC running Jamcast that receives the stream and plays it?

If so sounds promising. Also read where VLC might be able to do the same thing.

John
Now Playing skin creator - NetRemote 2.0 / 6 Zone whole house audio delivering 1580 watts RMS total

Visit My Nowplaying Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up