INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick find problem  (Read 965 times)

MichaelVBrooks

• Recent member
Quick find problem
« on: April 07, 2009, 08:44:51 am »

Quick Find for linking cover art needs to be much much smarter; especially when dealing with FLAC & M4A files (not the same issue for MP3's because you only need do it once and place it MP3 tag). Recently my disk got full, so I had to move half my files... that's when I found the cover art links no longer worked for my FLAC and M4A files and many thousands had to be relinked manually... NOT good.

Need to get rid of the manual linking for multiple artists, classical compilations, etc. I've seen attempts to do this with "Various Artists" entered in the Artist Name tag field, this gives one cover art file (e.g., "Various Artists - Four Weddings And A Funeral.jpg") but when the tracks play you see "Various Artists" and not the actual artist name - not useful. If you put the 'actual artist name' in the Artist tag field, and then MC cannot automatically resolve the cover art links. I've also seen the cover art file replicated for each artist on the CD... imagine the number of replicated image files for a Time Life Box CD set with 150 plus tracks! For compilations/multiple artists the file names of the cover art files should need only the album name, e.g. "Four Weddings And A Funeral.jpg"... and MC should link them automatically without needing to find an artist name... in fact it should always work that way if the album name is unique.

I offer the following as a starter suggestion for how Quick Find should always work:

1) Link first to the album name only (forget the artist name at first). If that provides a match then automatically link the right cover art image file to the appropriate music files.

2) If there are albums with the same name, then MC should use the album name plus artist name to automatically link the right cover for the user - e.g., Bruce Springsteen - Greatest Hits or Neil Young - Greatest Hits.

3) If it cannot be resolved then give the user a pop up dialog with the closest matches... failing that the user will have to link manually.

Also, make it smart enough so it does not care which way the cover art files are named in the directory, e.g. Album, Album\Artist or Artist\Album with whatever common delimiters a user might choose.

Regards
Mike Brooks

(now back to manually linking thousands of cover art files... hope I do not fill this disk quickly and have to do this again!!!)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Quick find problem
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 09:23:12 am »

Quick Find for linking cover art needs to be much much smarter; especially when dealing with FLAC & M4A files (not the same issue for MP3's because you only need do it once and place it MP3 tag). Recently my disk got full, so I had to move half my files... that's when I found the cover art links no longer worked for my FLAC and M4A files and many thousands had to be relinked manually.
Did you set the cover art directory in the new install?  I assume you have all the art in a single directory.

It's set in Tools/Options/File Location/Cover Art.

There is info on cover art in our Wiki (link above).
Pages: [1]   Go Up