INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freeze with NAS drive  (Read 1466 times)

Lobotom1

• Recent member
Freeze with NAS drive
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:01:57 am »

Hi,

I have a lot of problems with the analyse audio tool. It is freezing without notice while analysing my FLAC collection. It happens really often and I can't find a way to determine the reason why it freezes. (After a reboot I listen to the files and there is no issues, I try to relaunch the anayse audio tool and it freeze again)

Is there a way to provide a bug report on these freezes ?? this will perhaps helps.

(In case  it can help my collection is stored on a Dlink DNS 323 NAS and anaysed locally on my computer)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Freeze with NAS drive
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 07:13:04 am »

What happens if you analyze local files?

Try updating the firmware for the NAS.  We've seen problems that were solved by doing that.

Lobotom1

• Recent member
Freeze with NAS drive
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:15:44 am »

JimH,

Firmware is ok, but I found an issue with one of the problematic file and seems to be a server issue as I can't copy the file back locally !!!

This is not a analyse audio issue then, I will check all other problematic files as they come up. Wow I am loosing my hairs now, it took me years to build my audio collection ;(
What is still a bit strange is that I played the file and no issue at that point, I will go further with such investigation ...

(Thank you for this quick response)

leezer3

• MC Beta Team
Freeze with NAS drive
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 08:26:28 am »

JimH,

Firmware is ok, but I found an issue with one of the problematic file and seems to be a server issue as I can't copy the file back locally !!!

This is not a analyse audio issue then, I will check all other problematic files as they come up. Wow I am loosing my hairs now, it took me years to build my audio collection ;(
What is still a bit strange is that I played the file and no issue at that point, I will go further with such investigation ...

(Thank you for this quick response)

Could this be a permissions issue?
If the file is set as read only for the user accessing your NAS & you tried to *move* the file, as opposed to copy it, then it wouldn't copy. Conversely, it'd play just fine.
I'm not certain if this could cause the audio analysis process to fail; It might possibly do so if MC tried to write the analysis tags into the file?

-Leezer-

Lobotom1

• Recent member
Freeze with NAS drive
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 08:56:29 am »

Hi,

Nope, the issue is not related to the permissions of the files, it seems there was perhaps one bad sector on the server hard drive or a very small corruption of the file.

What would be interesting to add in the MC analyse audio is a "skip file" process if the file fails to get analysed in an amount of time and then when entire collection is analysed, then a report is created with the "errors".

What I have seen so far are two situations :
1) Some ripped files done with DBpoweramp are very small (a few KBite flac files) because there were errors on the CD's ripped, in this case, the analyse audio tool white "ERROR" instead of showing the percentage of completetion, if a few files have errors the entire analyse audio process stops stating "the previous files analysed showed erros", the process should continue instead of get stopped.

2) As just mentionned in the previous posts, if there is one bad sector in a file analysed or something that "blocks" the access to the analysed file then the audoi analyser freeze and stay in that state, it should also stop the analyse of this file and shows "error" also.

I am still 100% sure of what happened to my "bad sector" file as I deleted it (what a stupid action !!) hope I will get exactly  the same issue soon, I am still analysing my files and I have less freeze issues as before as I stopped my antivirus, firewall and every other application working in the background also accessing the server.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Freeze with NAS drive
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 09:23:33 am »

The thread called "Stability" in my signature has some useful ideas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up