INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recorder use for Dictation: Global Shortcuts for Start, Stop, Split Track?  (Read 1245 times)

Robo983

• World Citizen

Are they core commands or global commands assigned to the Recorder's buttons Start, Stop, Split Track and Exit?

I am trying to use it as a voice recorder as in dictation but find the auto split track results disappointing and would like to be able to manually start and stop recording and split the track manually by pushing a keyboard button.

The problem is if you are using another program to read/dictate from you do not have access to the buttons or are abe to monitor the results. I am wanting a track to record for each page of read material to insert into a power point.

Thanks in advance for any help

p7389

• World Citizen

I don't have any help to offer you, I just wanted to say that I am continually astounded at the plethora of uses users use MC for :)

I hope you'll get it to work as you want though.
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Isn't there an button to mark the track boundary while you're recording?  [Split Track], I think.

Robo983

• World Citizen

There are buttons but you have to have MC focused and in view to access them. My specific issue is that I have one monitor and am trying to read the Power Point Slides while recording. It extends the recording and is a little awkward switching between applications to press split track, go to Power Point hit next page, start reading, switch back to MC select split track, then switch back, etc.. I tryied playing with the settings for auto detect track splits but it is very inconsistent depending on how long you pause or if there is background noise causing unexpected spits or not splitting when you want a split. It does a good job of not starting until sound is heard but that also is a little inconsistent depending on environment so I also stop and start after the split further complicating the recording process.

I looked for a global keyboard shortcut for those buttons but did not see one and was hoping there are some that is not on the list.

I have looked at other programs that are specifically designed for use as a recorder and are priced about $30 to do what MC does with the exception of having global short cut keys. (RecordPad at http://www.nch.com.au/software/soundrec.html?gclid=CNiwsvz2opoCFQVxFQodPX9b9A). $30 is not much less than what MC does but you get a lot more functions with MC. With RecordPad you can assign F keys to the Start, Stop buttons but it automatically creates a new file when stop is hit. I think MC pauses the current file and does not split on a stop execution but I would have to check again and is no big issue to me. I would much rather give MC my $30 than purchase another program.

If MC could be marketed to this segment and show in a google search for these kinds of Apps might help promote some sales but I think MC does a better job than the one I have downloaded for a trial version. MC has the advantage of organizing the files and auto saving to specified folders based on Artist, Album which I used for Author and Title of my Power Point. All MC needs is the ability to assign global shortcut keys to the buttons that are already there. I could see once the recording was done using all sorts of other fields to organize the sound files.

I am using my Wii USB mic to do the recording and the sound is very good and it is auto recognized by Windows Vista and XP. There may be other uses for this that I haven't used yet since the Wii mic comes with the American Idol game and should be available to a few with out having to purchase another mic.
Pages: [1]   Go Up