INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to sync MC 13 libraries  (Read 4433 times)

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Unable to sync MC 13 libraries
« on: May 16, 2009, 10:27:16 pm »

On my laptop I had MC 12, so I upgraded to MC 13.  I also have a new desktop to which I installed MC 13.  I am trying to get my MC 13 laptop library synced with MC 13 library on my new desktop and I get the error message "failed to find local media server'.

I am certain I have both media servers running as the little icon is shown on my task bar on each machine.  Please help.

?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Unable to sync MC 13 libraries
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 06:57:23 am »

Try rebooting both PC's.

Make sure the build is the same for both copies of MC.

Make sure Library Server is started.

After that, it is likely to be a network issue.  Or a firewall.

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 02:19:53 pm »

Try rebooting both PC's- done that.

Make sure the build is the same for both copies of MC- desktop is 13.0.152 and laptop is 13.0.132- is this going to matter, and if so, I am trying to update my laptop and it's not working.

Make sure Library Server is started.

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:09:07 pm »

?

Hey guys/gals, some help here please.  Can I get an answer to my question about the different versions and why they're not syncing?  Also, does it have anything to do with both machines being checked as 'default'?  I can't figure out how to make the desktop, the one to which I want to transfer the library, the non-default.  Not sure if this matters anyway.  Please advise.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:34:34 am »

Make sure the build is the same for both copies of MC.

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »

Okay boss, is my firewall preventing me from updating my laptop to the latest build?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:07:30 pm »

It's hard to tell.  What are you doing and what happens?

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 06:46:17 am »

I click 'help', 'check for updates', a box opens up that shows 'working', and then nothing.  Whereas on the desktop (most recent version) it actually shows message 'no updates available' or something to that effect (I'm at office now not in front of either machine).

Thank you,

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 06:55:41 am »

You can get the build from the downloads page.

Sounds like something is blocking the check for updates.  Vista?  UAC?

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 09:30:03 am »

I will try getting the build from the downloads page tonight and let you know what happens- thanks!

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 09:04:21 pm »

JimH,

I've updated both machines to the latest build but I am still unable to sync the libraries.  I am obviously doing something wrong.  Please walk me thru step by step and let me know what I should have checked on each machine.  On the laptop I've got "default" checked; on the desktop I have "default(1)" checked.  I'm not sure how I came up with a "default(1)" library.

Thanks,

Jason

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 09:32:48 pm »

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 05:37:19 am »

I've never been able to get the library server subsystem in MC working at home.

Which is a real pity as it would be ideal in my situation:

1)  I want control of what's in the library
2)  I want the kids to be able to use any PC in the house at any time to sync their ipods without having to bother with building local databases, or running the risk of them updating/deleting/modifying the MP3 repository, etc.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 07:12:36 am »

Hi Rhino,
The link above has some network troubleshooting help.

It works fine. 

Jim

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 07:24:02 am »

I read thru the wiki article.  Again, does it matter that both machines are set to "default"?  If it does, how do I set the desktop to "localservers_autofind"?

Jason

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 07:26:52 am »

I believe that the server serves the default library only.  You have to tell the client to connect to the server.

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 08:54:07 am »

"You have to tell the client to connect to the server."  Exactly, so how do I do this?  I cannot uncheck the "default" setting on the client.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 09:11:55 am »

From the Wiki article above:

Auto-Detection
By default, Library Server advertises its presence on the local network, so that clients may connect without knowing the address of the server. This works by sending the IP address and port the server uses via UDP's broadcast mechanism. The broadcast will only go to the local network, it will not cross routers (Auto-detection will not help when trying to listen to your home collection at work).

If your server is not at home, in a secure environment, turn off the auto-detect feature.
On the client, searching for Library Servers (File->Library->Search for Library Servers) will automatically connect to the server if it finds only one, otherwise it displays a list of the servers it found for you to choose.

Or choose ADD to add a server by IP address.

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 09:38:27 am »

One more question before I give up and manually add my files via USB cable: would it matter that one machine is 32 bit and the other 64 bit?

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 10:42:15 am »

Help help help!  I have manually transferred my files to my desktop but I still want to be able to sync the libraries so I can have my playlists on each machine.  Any other advice??

ThoBar

• Was confishy
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 11:06:25 am »

I read thru the wiki article.  Again, does it matter that both machines are set to "default"?  If it does, how do I set the desktop to "localservers_autofind"?

Jason
The Server should be on "Default" (or some other name if you have created another LOCAL library).
The Client should be told to SEARCH for the Server library. THIS MAY NOT WORK. (some networks just interfere somehow)
IF IT DOESNT WORK.... The Client can manually be told to connect to a SPECIFIED IP address.
 -- you will need to ensure you know your Server's IP address
 -- you will need to ensure you know the PORT number the Server is serving the Library on.
 -- you will need to ensure the Server Firewall allows traffic TO the Port MC is serving the Library on.
 -- you will need to ensure the Client is Firewall allows MC to connect out.
 -- you will need to ensure the Client can PING the Server.

If any one of these is not enured, it probably wont work.

C.

[Edit] If it connects, the Client WILL NOT show as using the "Default" library

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 10:08:42 pm »

So I've finally configured my host (laptop) so that when my client (desktop) finds it.  However, after clicking 'connect' and a few seconds of 'working', the error msg pops up "failed to load the library".  What can I be doing wrong?

?

foraye

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 11:55:28 am »

I feel your pain Jason...I have a thread with the exact problem, I've had MC for a few years and now this problem with my MC13 config...I'm getting the same "WIKI will save all answers" also...

The Wiki is vague at best and is nothing more than textbook definitions of features, not a troubleshooting guide with answers to everything, sometimes I wonder if the people referring to the wiki actually had to use it? My thread is http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52074.0 we'll see who solves it first!

Good Luck,

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 01:58:57 pm »

Yeah, lemme read thru your thread.  Maybe we can bungle our way thru this together.  I'm very frustrated as I've been a MC (and before that a MJ user) for years, probably longer than most people on this forum besides the developers.  I had ZERO problems syncing/connecting my libraries in MC 12 but this MC 13 is a royale PIA.  After a week of pulling my hair out, I've manually transferred all my files to my new machine, but I want to keep my library with the dozens of playlists the same.  I can understand how this forum is the way most people want support, but I'd GLADLY pay for screen share support.  I'm surprised these guys don't do something like that, as I've done screen shares with multiple vendors in my own business.  I'm ready to call my own IT guy and see if he can help me- it means that much to me.

My problem, I think, is that I may have the wrong IP address and my client (new desktop) cannot connect to my server (laptop with the library).  Doh!

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 05:55:13 pm »

Before you blame MC13, please read this thread.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 06:01:01 pm »

I feel your pain Jason...I have a thread with the exact problem, I've had MC for a few years and now this problem with my MC13 config...I'm getting the same "WIKI will save all answers" also...

The Wiki is vague at best and is nothing more than textbook definitions of features, not a troubleshooting guide with answers to everything, sometimes I wonder if the people referring to the wiki actually had to use it? My thread is http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=52074.0 we'll see who solves it first!

Good Luck,
If you feel something is missing, please say what it is.

foraye

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 07:47:28 pm »

Before you blame MC13, please read this thread.

JimH,

I did read that thread, please notice who made the very specific suggestion to Krazy...

I did not fault MC13, but since it has to live on a box with other apps, there can be unexpected things, that the wiki definitions do not cover. Since we both said that we have had previous MC running the way we want, cant we assume that we read the wiki and started media server, and we're still stuck?

I've just went ahead and re-imported my entire 50000+ tracks into my HTPC...form the MC13 Box. I'll keep at it.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 02:38:42 am »

After reading this thread I am still unclear about what is not working now and what exactly worked in MC12.

The Library Server system does not actually sync libraries. On connect the client downloads a temporary copy of the current server library and uses it during the current session. The downloaded library contains translated filenames. These names have "internet-style" addresses so that the played files can be streamed through TCP/IP networks. To use the Library Server system you need to enable the server in MC tree > Services & Plug-ins and connect the client using File > Library > Search for Library Servers... or File > Library > Library Manager... in the latter you can type the correct IP address and port and store the connection as one of the libraries in the menu.

"Media Server" is a component that runs only what is needed for the server plugins without showing the main interface. "Library Server" must be in the "started" state inside the standard MC view in order to use it by running only the "Media Server" component.

It is also possible to use a single, common library database location on all PCs without running Library Server and be able to edit the library on any of the one MC instances (one at a time). The fist started instance will have read and write capability, the following instances willl use a read-only copy of the library. This system uses standard Windows filenames and the media file paths must identical on all PCs that use the shared library. (For instance: share the root media folder on the server and map this location with the same drive letter on all PCs including this server if the intention is to run MC on it. Import the media files from this mapped drive letter or fix the file paths with the excellent "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" tool if you want to preserve an existing library.)

The third option is to use some external tool for syncing the library files locally so that whenever MC is started the local library will be the last synced version (also this needs identical media file paths on all PCs).

I don't think the things I mentioned have changed since MC12 (except the new "Rename, Move, & Copy Files" tool).
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
WAS Unable to sync MC 13 libraries NOW getting rid of duplicate files
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2009, 07:34:13 pm »

Success!  Don't ask me what I did or how I did it, but I was fooling with a couple of settings, I restarted the applications on each machine, and all of a sudden the libraries synced.  This is usually the way I get things done, by just tinkering and bungling through it.  The other way is that I'll pay someone to fix it ;-)

Okay, somehow I've gotten duplicate files of certain songs/albums.  Not sure how.  Is there a quick(er) way of deleting these from my library besides manually looking through the entire library and deleting?  Can someone please point me to a thread on this?

Thanks to everyone for trying to help me through this,

Jason

foraye

• Recent member
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 03:22:25 pm »

Great...Tell me specifically what you have in your Library Manager setup. Did you use ip address or  a specific path? I just noticed that I do not get a "failed to find local server" but a "error loading library"?

I know my network setup is fine since I use RDP to work on both machines. I regularly use VNC to get onto my workstation then RDP to my HTPC. I guess this thread is now closed?

jasonod

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 08:45:29 pm »

Somehow I was able to change the setting on my desktop to "search for library servers"; I don't know how that setting was finally able to be switched.  Before that, both machines were set to "default" and I couldn't figure out how to switch the one setting.  Whether that was the problem or not, after the switch the library was able to sync.
Pages: [1]   Go Up