INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Wait... dialog is blocking  (Read 1199 times)

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
Please Wait... dialog is blocking
« on: May 26, 2009, 03:13:12 pm »

The "Please Wait..." dialog is sometimes blocking background operations from proceeding.

I'm in the process of reripping some of my CDs from MP3 to FLAC.  I'm using Alex B's technique of copying the FLAC files over the MP3 files.  In the last step of the process I do an additional "Update tags from library" to get the cover art written to the tags of the new files (I store cover art in the tags).  It is during that last step with cover art getting written to the files that the "Please Wait..." dialog will sometimes block.

I'm playing music in the background while doing this.  I'm doing about 10 CDs at a time.  The "Please Wait..." dialog will sometimes stop music playback during its operation (particularly if the music finishes one track and starts another while the Please Wait dialog is displayed).

I've also noticed other bad behavior of the "Please Wait..." dialog during other long operations.  Sometimes it will end up behind the MC window and MC will appear hung with a wait cursor.  In reality the "Please Wait..." dialog is hiding behind MC and the wait cursor goes away when the operation is done.

I hope that all makes sense.

I'm using MC 13.0.169

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Please Wait... dialog is blocking
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:54:51 pm »

When doing "Update tags (from library)", the operation runs in the main thread in a blocking manner.  Playback of new tracks will not start until the operation finishes.

It might be better to move to a more asynchronous model that shows an Action Window, etc. but that can introduce new complexities to think about like a user deleting the files or closing the program in the middle of the operation.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
Re: Please Wait... dialog is blocking
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 05:00:38 pm »

I thought perhaps that playback might have had its own thread and was being blocked.

I'll just modify my behavior and do things in smaller chunks so the music won't stop while I'm busy working on tags.  Gotta keep the music going.

Might be a request for version 14 or 15 to move the tagging updates to its own thread.  But non-trivial a host of complexities as you mentioned.
Pages: [1]   Go Up