INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What? i.e. What will be new in MC14?  (Read 11823 times)

robydago

• Citizen of the Universe
What? i.e. What will be new in MC14?
« on: May 26, 2009, 05:54:33 pm »

In answer to a few questions....

When?
How to upgrade?
What should I buy now?
Why now?

Is there any place where I can find the answer to the most important question: What? i.e. What will be new in MC14?

swinster

• World Citizen
What? i.e. What will be new in MC14?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 06:06:12 pm »

Is there any place where I can find the answer to the most important question: What? i.e. What will be new in MC14?
And possibly, what WE can suggest for the new edition. I personally would like to see a Windows Mobile addon - maybe in a way to control the main MC via a simple touch screen......

A lot of these nice new HTC touch devices would make a really cool control of the main MC server.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: What? i.e. What will be new in MC14?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 06:35:02 pm »

What will be new in MC14?

In my best Kramer voice, "Why don't you just tell me what new features you'd like?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAb3TcSWu7Q
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

johnnyboy

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 07:30:50 pm »

In my best Kramer voice, "Why don't you just tell me what new features you'd like?"

Alot of work done to make MC's imagine capabilities a lot stronger ie::

* decent toolbar when viewing in full screen that is related to images, the one now is only really useful for audio and adds nothing at all to functionality for images.
* ability to modify time stamps (not just change them but increase/decreate them by X hours/days/weeks/years/ etc)
* ability to set images to never be modified and all changes/edits etc happen to copies so my original precious pics are never at risk!
* more :)

jbony

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:47:21 pm »

1- DVD audio playback
2- Bluray video playback
3- Capability to perform speaker level distance setting.
4- more (let me think.....)

Daydream

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:18:18 pm »

Are we doing this AGAIN??? Where the heck is that bloody record plugged in so I can take it out? There are a zillion threads with what we want, suggested, pleaded, waited, the works. This is about JRiver saying something for a change, and not just staying behind a wall of silence. Or is just going to come out that you're asking people to upgrade to fantasies and thin air? Enough!

221bBS

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 10:45:48 pm »

I would love an option to check for the latest release of MC instead of just checking for the latest STABLE release ;D

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:29:41 am »

Are we doing this AGAIN??? Where the heck is that bloody record plugged in so I can take it out? There are a zillion threads with what we want, suggested, pleaded, waited, the works. This is about JRiver saying something for a change, and not just staying behind a wall of silence. Or is just going to come out that you're asking people to upgrade to fantasies and thin air? Enough!

I'd also like to hear at least some visions from JRiver before I upgrade... You should have a open issue tracker like JIRA or something. That would give us a lot more insight at least... :)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

)p(

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 12:57:55 am »

Control one instance of mc from another on a different device is by far my number one thing I would like to see.

peter

willmcd

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 05:53:32 am »

Some things that would make an upgrade useful for me are:

1) The ability to accurately play and control multiple MC machines in sync (like Sonos) so I can get the whole house effect through the various PC's dotted around my house.
2) The ability to select photos based on multiple tags from theatre view during image playback, also the ability to only display selected photos by defaulf (i mark my decent photos with a star rating in photoshop elements, it would be nice, for example, if the "has at least one star" filter could be automatically applied so that I don't get too much junk by default (I have more than 40,000 photos on my server).
3) iTouch and iPhone compatibility
4) Larger navigation buttons on the web page view (that back button is tiny), why not use the main control buttons - previous (back), play (to refresh) stop and next (forward).
5) Netremote-like functionality built in (whilst it is totally cool when it works, I find it expensive and unreliable)
6) Integration with LCD smartie to get the VFD working properly
7) A tagging screen for images and video where I can drag and drop tags onto thumbnails or drag thumbnails onto tags (in a similar way to the way Photoshop elements does photo tagging)
8 ) Lightscribe CD/DVD label printing
9) Video streamed instantly from the mediaserver rather then just loaded to the client before being played. The need to wait for a whole HD video file to load before starting to play it is a pain (it can take minutes) and so I don't use MC to organise my video files, I simply browse to my the files using windows and double click. Not cool.

bil1010105

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 07:45:17 am »

Totally agree.

We need a vision statement from JRiver saying what they hope to achieve from MC14 (apart from more "upgrade" licenses). More than half of what was requested for MC13 hasn't been implemented - so why should we go through all this again?

I bought MC12, and upgraded to MC13 on a promise. I feel that promise was broken, and there is nothing in MC13 that makes the upgrade worthwhile for me. Sell it to me. Make me want it. Otherwise, don't waste my time (and money).

An open bug tracker / feature requester software like JIRA would be an excellent start. That way we can vote on what bugs / features are most important to us - rather than things being randomly implemented based on whether JRiver "like" the person asking for them... which is how it appears at the moment.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 08:16:42 am »

Change iPod support to sync THROUGH iTunes using the API.  This would make all iPod support 'just work', including iPhone and iPod Touch.
Fix whatever is keeping the 'don't install iTunes 8' message pinned to the top of the board.  Many of us REQUIRE iTunes 8 for our devices.

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 08:59:52 am »

My list would be as follows:

1. Fix/Complete the Video info part in Theater View (preferrably in V13)
2. Database for Movies
3. Better Server Client support with user rights for write/reads
4. A good default Web interface
5. And iPhone support
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

johnnyboy

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 10:22:34 am »

I'm tempted to buy the upgrade AGAIN just to get the v14 license but if I do this am I going to get access to the v14 board otherwise it seems like a bit of a ridiculas thing for me to do?

Also, can you actually give us any insight into what you are going to work on otherwise you are asking a huge gamble of us to buy a piece of software that we dont have a clue what we are actually going to gain out of it over what we already have.
MC13 does most things for me that I need, it is hugely lacking IMO for my photos. If this area is going to be worked on then it would be worth the money for me. If not, then anything I pay is just a waste of cash as I dont use theatre view and I dont use it for TV or anything else and definitely dont want to use it to manage my documents etc.

Can we please get at least some general areas that are going to be worked on?
Are photos/images going to be worked on properly feature wise in MC14?

Thanks

notzippy

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 12:07:48 pm »

Are we doing this AGAIN??? ...

I feel the same way, the upgrade to 13 was in hopes that a resolution could / was found for my crappy DSM-320 upnp device. This was not the case.

MediaCenter needs to live up to its name. Updates to any tags on "remote" libraries should update the main library, we should not have to use a shared network drive to do this. Remote control should also be incorporated.

nz

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2009, 12:54:33 pm »

I feel the same way, the upgrade to 13 was in hopes that a resolution could / was found for my crappy DSM-320 upnp device. This was not the case.

MediaCenter needs to live up to its name. Updates to any tags on "remote" libraries should update the main library, we should not have to use a shared network drive to do this. Remote control should also be incorporated.

nz
Please start a thread on this or bump your old one.

Try MC's "DLNA" setting for the device.  It's probably DLNA compatible.  Try updating the device's firmware.

e-head

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2009, 03:59:29 pm »

Change iPod support to sync THROUGH iTunes using the API.  This would make all iPod support 'just work', including iPhone and iPod Touch.
Fix whatever is keeping the 'don't install iTunes 8' message pinned to the top of the board.  Many of us REQUIRE iTunes 8 for our devices.

This is a really interesting idea. It may well solve one of my biggest complaints with MC too... it's inability to play back many audio formats gaplessly. This is the one area where iTunes surpasses virtually every other player, due to their (apparently top secret and difficult to reproduce) gapless algorithm, which manages to cook up offset numbers for just about every format.

I have a ton of albums I ripped to aac a long time ago that I'd love to listen to gaplessly without having to re-rip. Come to think of it, I don't think I've listened to Dark Side of the Moon since switching to MC.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 04:17:25 pm »

This is a really interesting idea. It may well solve one of my biggest complaints with MC too... it's inability to play back many audio formats gaplessly. This is the one area where iTunes surpasses virtually every other player, due to their (apparently top secret and difficult to reproduce) gapless algorithm, which manages to cook up offset numbers for just about every format.

I have a ton of albums I ripped to aac a long time ago that I'd love to listen to gaplessly without having to re-rip. Come to think of it, I don't think I've listened to Dark Side of the Moon since switching to MC.
You shouldn't have trouble playing gaplessly.  Please start a new thread.

If you're using AAC, MC is probably loading the Quicktime engine to play them, and that could cause a problem.

Test a few FLAC or APE files, just as a starting point.  You can rip DSOTM in MC to test.

prod

• Play nice
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 04:37:52 pm »

Unfortunately there are limitations to the API - one that springs to mind that I tried to do with my synchronizer app is getting podcasts I've downloaded through MC on to my iPhone through iTunes. Can't do it - unfortunately I have to get my podcasts directly through iTunes instead.

Agree wholeheartedly, I think the 'DO NOT INSTALL ITUNES' message is a little off-putting.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 05:14:58 pm »

Are we doing this AGAIN??? Where the heck is that bloody record plugged in so I can take it out? There are a zillion threads with what we want, suggested, pleaded, waited, the works. This is about JRiver saying something for a change, and not just staying behind a wall of silence. Or is just going to come out that you're asking people to upgrade to fantasies and thin air? Enough

I Concur as well.. ive been with jriver since 9. and before i upgrade to 14 (having already bought 13 back in beta stage last year) I'd like to see a bullet list of all the requests i've read way back in the 13 feature board and if they are going to be implemented or not. Even a NO these will NEVER be implemented would give us a fair answer...
Some things i've asked for and others have agreed with

- .cbr\pdf viewer similiar to comic rack (ability for us ebook collectors to view, see covers, and read within jriver- After all isnt JRiver suppose to be the ULTIMATE multimeadia player? Not To Mention Tablets are starting and will be the new thing where people read there paper from. the ability to read , see your whole ebooks library (ebooks, .cbr. pdf) from within jriver on a tablet from your couch would just be ideal!)- http://comicrack.cyolito.com/  yes? no? ever?

- xbox 360 syncin yes? no? ever?

- theaterview customizable skins (easy way to change theater view skins properties in theater view change the motion background or backgrounds\ wallpaper with ease... etc... yes? no? ever?

- smartphones - iphone - htc devices... abilty to use our devices as remotes -  yes? no? ever?

- karaokke features - play karaokee or mute voice in jriver songs and play just the music while text lyrics are scrolling - yes? no? ever?

- improved vista sidebar gadget where when the jriver is minimized it will remove the minimized bar and minimize it to the sidebar allowing it to play visualizations\videos, allow us to 5star, add to playlists, etc... yes? no? ever?

- dvd library similiar to \ or to incorporate with movie collector software http://www.collectorz.com/movie/... so we have more detailed info on our dvd's yes? no? ever?

- ability to be on the road logon into jriver and chose which library we want to use. Example.. if you have a library for yourself, kids, wife, friends, be able to be away from home and chose your libray instead of your kids library cause your kid was the last one using JRiver - yes? no? ever?

Improvement on the radio station feature. I still cannot get my local radio stations here in MN to stick! and ive been trying religiously since 10! some play some don't, some stay, some don't. maybe a feature when someone chooses radio - a drop down ( like the weather plugin in theaterview) they could enter there zipcode. and it would show a drop down of radio stations that are available.. so we dont have to goto the radio stations websites to open there player to listen to 93X, 92KQRS, Rockin 101, Jack FM etc...  Sometimes it's just nice to listen to the radio. And I'd love the ability to be able to do it from within JRiver with no issues. and KNOW it will always be there and work!

- A SIMPLE MENU OPTION under file to backup settings import export ALL SETTINGS so we can transfer settings from machine to machine\ or when we reinstall etc...

And Last But Not Least the other questions others have posted here already... answers to yes? no? or ever?!
 if the rest of these features that we have taken our time to let you know what we wanted, needed (thought it would behouve JRiver)will they ever be implemented or looked into?

*If Some of these are features already pardon me if i've missed them.

And one last thing, but not sure if this is actually a 14 request. but i've posted this before a few times. when we come into forum and check out new updates or versions a little bit more lengthy explanation of changes\ new features. there are many times i see new features in new versions but have no clue where to find them or what they actually do. (would really help i think for the sales as well ;))
Because people could see something has been added and they would know EXACTLY what it means and where to find it! or What the new feature actually allows them to do!

TY For Listening.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 11:49:57 pm »

A feature that would be nice to hear would be HDCD decoding from lossless files.

I don't know if it is legally or technically possible to do a proper job of HDCD decoding in software.  Licensing and other restrictions may not allow it.  Would be a nice feature though.

There is a reverse engineered HDCD decoder that dBpoweramp and a few other tools use.  But that tool only decodes the dynamic range peak extension features of HDCD and ignores the advanced filtering and related features of HDCD.  To take advantage of the filtering the audio would need to be upsampled to 88.2 or better and played back at the higher sample rate.

Right now for HDCD I use dBpoweramp to decode the files to 24/44.1.  That gets some of the benefit of HDCD but not all of its potential.  The alternative would be to look around for a suitable DAC that can decode HDCD, but there aren't many options for that.

keither

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2009, 01:17:57 pm »

It certainly sounds to me like the lack of understanding as to what features are even up for consideration, let alone a time frame for them, is the biggest problem and feature that needs to be resolved.

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2009, 03:01:04 pm »

? ? ? ? why are we all so impatient. good god when mc14 is available in due course then worry about what is new and different. in the meantime you have got the best product available so you should all go and have a cold shower!

keither

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2009, 03:02:45 pm »

? ? ? ? why are we all so impatient. good god when mc14 is available in due course then worry about what is new and different. in the meantime you have got the best product available so you should all go and have a cold shower!

Except that right now, we have an opportunity to buy into MC14 at an introductory price.  I think it's perfectly fair to ask what we're getting for being early-adopters in exchange for our investment capital this early on.

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2009, 03:08:34 pm »

Except that right now, we have an opportunity to buy into MC14 at an introductory price.  I think it's perfectly fair to ask what we're getting for being early-adopters in exchange for our investment capital this early on.

Amen

gappie

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 05:17:13 pm »

well.. guess the impatience is natural and maybe a compliment for mc.. but i agree with you. i think mc has some plans for 14. but posting them here would change the plans in promises. and promises are there to keep, but plans can just not work, and can be changed. so its just a deal.. take it or leave it and pay a bit more later on.

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 05:43:27 pm »

well.. guess the impatience is natural and maybe a compliment for mc.. but i agree with you. i think mc has some plans for 14. but posting them here would change the plans in promises. and promises are there to keep, but plans can just not work, and can be changed. so its just a deal.. take it or leave it and pay a bit more later on.

The voice of reason!

I think we should all feel a bit lucky to have JRiver even listen to us and provide feedback when they have the opportunity to do so, at the same time.  This is very rare for a piece of software of this scale.

Although I think MC 13 was a bit short on improvements, that's in comparison to the amazing development done in past versions.  At some point in time, MC is going to get harder and harder to improve, and this may be that point.

I think it would be a great idea to keep track of some sort of bug/feature request system on this forum simply from an organizational standpoint, but I think that it would be silly to think that JRiver is going to commit to anything ahead of development.  

I think if people here actually worked for a software company, they would realize how truly difficult it is to build software and add any amount of features in a timely and bug free fashion.  The complexity involved in doing so is almost mind boggling unless you have unlimited resources and even then that doesn’t solve the problem entirely.

And none of that takes into account adding in new features that will make the company more profitable (not sure if it is right now) which of course should be their goal, and I want to see that happen so we can continue to see this great piece of software stand the test of time rather than turn into another musicmatch.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

keither

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2009, 06:19:38 pm »

I think if people here actually worked for a software company, they would realize how truly difficult it is to build software and add any amount of features in a timely and bug free fashion.  The complexity involved in doing so is almost mind boggling unless you have unlimited resources and even then that doesn’t solve the problem entirely.

I have in the past, and continue to work for companies that release software.  Every product, before it is ever approved, has had a plan detailing which features were required, which were optional, and which were definitely not included.  That's called product management.  It's how software teams the world over release fully-featured programs with bug fixes and new features version after version.

Asking for a product roadmap doesn't tie JRiver to anything, but it certainly lets us, the paying customer, know if we wish to continue investing in the product.  It also offers us the opportunity to give feedback in what would make us continue to support development.

221bBS

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2009, 07:30:42 pm »

If the new features/enhancements are so important, why not just wait a few months when the beta is released to decide whether you want to buy 14 or not? It's not like this will be the one and only time they will give discounted pricing.

221bBS

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2009, 08:23:45 pm »

I'd like to see

1.  Playlists and Smartlists RETAIN their field and sorting order between program shutdown and restart.

I've  paid for v13 a few weeks ago and have reverted to v12 which HAD the feature above.

This can be done in 13. Right-click the smartlist/playlist and select "Customize View..."

CadErik

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2009, 08:31:50 pm »

My biggest one would be UPNP so that MC can play DRMed stuff downloaded on others computers (same way WMP does).

datdude

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 04:02:30 am »

I have in the past, and continue to work for companies that release software.  Every product, before it is ever approved, has had a plan detailing which features were required, which were optional, and which were definitely not included.  That's called product management.  It's how software teams the world over release fully-featured programs with bug fixes and new features version after version.

Asking for a product roadmap doesn't tie JRiver to anything, but it certainly lets us, the paying customer, know if we wish to continue investing in the product.  It also offers us the opportunity to give feedback in what would make us continue to support development.

The "MC" product was approved quite a while ago. ;)

Were now talking about a very mature and complex piece of software, not a new 'concept' for a product.  Not that I understand the challenges that JRiver is facing now, just that it is not as easy as some think to just add features and expect them to happen even if they are required.  

Surely you have to realize that a feature that is required, that often times during development of that feature, unexpected roadblocks happen that may not be able to be overcome.  Unless your company has some super crack team of programmers, there are always limits to what they can do, and they can't predict everything, not even close, lol.

Having an internal roadmap is definitely a good idea, but making promises you may not be able to keep, is never a good idea.  I think that has just been proven based on the comments on this board, lol.
"You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake." -  Just a very big snowball

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 04:50:04 am »

Having an internal roadmap is definitely a good idea, but making promises you may not be able to keep, is never a good idea.  I think that has just been proven based on the comments on this board, lol.

So, we should gently hand over money in advance, hoping they prioritize the right stuff? Maybe JRiver should not so agressively advertise a unstarted project, if people feel they are getting ripped off? If I'd want to invest in JRiver, i'd buy their stocks. Not a product that I know nothing about.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

gappie

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 05:16:22 am »

So, we should gently hand over money in advance, hoping they prioritize the right stuff? Maybe JRiver should not so agressively advertise a unstarted project, if people feel they are getting ripped off? If I'd want to invest in JRiver, i'd buy their stocks. Not a product that I know nothing about.
maybe i read things wrong: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Special
the offer is for purchasing mc13 or upgrading to mc13. people who do that now get the 14 licence with it. they are not forced to use it. when you already own a 13 licence, you cant upgrade yet.

ShayB

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 06:28:26 pm »

Hi,

Will MC14 finally be able to burn music data discs so that the sound is leveled (using the "audio analize" results)
so that players that do not support "replay gain" will be able to play all the songs in the same volume?

Shay

Araj

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2009, 08:13:40 am »

Another feature request...

Ever considered a (musical) key analysis feature? I'm a hobby DJ and I paid $58 for MixedInKey. All it does is analyse the key and write it to the MP3 tag. Quite frankly, I'm not too sure how much analysis it actually does as it won't work without an Internet connection - I have a strong suspicion that most of the keys aren't analysed, they're just pulled off a database of tracks that have been analysed before.

I imagine there's quite a few MC users that do a bit of DJing or are perhaps interested in creating harmonic playlists. 

keither

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2009, 12:12:34 pm »

Hey Araj,

I'm maintaining a feature request list for DJs.  I'm hoping that by consolidating everything in one place, we can remind the JRiver folks just how many of us really want these specific features.  We've gotten some good response already, and I'm confident that the more of us that post there, the more we'll see our features integrated.  :)

Check it out here:  http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=51551

raldo

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2009, 05:38:33 pm »

I'd like to see some improvements in the plugin support.
o Main Menu, right context click support with actions, event communication etc.
o Plugin configuration dialogs in the main menu.
o The ability of plugins to weave into Theater view.
o The ability of plugins to operate more directly in the various views of MC (GUI too)

There is a major potential here, both for JRiver and the users...

phalanthus

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2009, 06:32:06 pm »

maybe i read things wrong: http://wiki.jrmediacenter.com/index.php/Special
the offer is for purchasing mc13 or upgrading to mc13. people who do that now get the 14 licence with it. they are not forced to use it. when you already own a 13 licence, you cant upgrade yet.
;D ;D ;D a very very good point

dlmax63

• World Citizen
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2009, 12:20:30 pm »

As to the question of 'what's new in MC14' vs. 'why should I buy early' (or even care that my new license will work on MC14):

I understand both sides of the story; JRiver (as a company) doesn't want to make promises that it can't know yet if it can keep... Early adopters (myself included) would like to know the direction the product is going.

MC13 added a lot of functionality that I liked, however, its biggest focus (I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong) was TV and Theater view related. I have absolutely no personal use for any of this with the exception of for DVD playback, but I still upgraded/purchased. Still, I am disappointed with MC's DVD playback and therefore don't use MC for DVDs. Regardless, I'm not disappointed with the product. Knowing now what I do about MC13, I probably would have been fine if I'd stayed with MC12 rather than moving forward but I would have missed all the playing-around (and sometimes frustration) that accompanied MC13.

I've been using JRiver for what I consider a very long time (MJ5) and have always promoted it in my personal life to anyone who is a Windows-savvy user and wants a more feature laden and customizable player. There are still many many things that, to my knowledge, only MC can do (and do well). That being said,...I think that JH (et all) should still make a statement to give an indication of the direction MC is moving. If the wording is carefully chosen, the direction can be indicated while not making promises that will disenchant the [beta] users. After all, MC14 is not yet even available for testing, who knows yet where MC14 will ultimately go?

From a business model view, I think JRiver would best be served by going to a two-tiered user interface. The first tier being an appearance which is tailored to the average Windows user. It would have to be bullet-proof and offer visibility to only the most basic functionality of the program...easy/simple to use yet slightly more feature laden than the other (more used/profitable) available players. The second tier being an 'unrestrained' appearance for those of us that are willing to d**k-around with new settings and are willing to make mistakes that could be disastrous to our libraries. I truly want JRiver to succeed and profit. The product is great, but I think to get to more users [read business/profit] it's initial appearance needs to be less intimidating to the average computer user. I for one do not recommend MC to users who are not very comfortable with their Windows computers and willing to make changes to their settings.
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day!

e-head

• World Citizen
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 02:56:25 pm »

You shouldn't have trouble playing gaplessly.  Please start a new thread.

If you're using AAC, MC is probably loading the Quicktime engine to play them, and that could cause a problem.

Test a few FLAC or APE files, just as a starting point.  You can rip DSOTM in MC to test.

True enough. I should have been more specific. AAC files play gaplessly when played in MC, but when transferred to my iPod from MC they are not.

IlPadrino

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 06:50:50 am »

I think we should all feel a bit lucky to have JRiver even listen to us and provide feedback when they have the opportunity to do so, at the same time.

Please...  it's us consumers that should feel luck that JRiver listens to us?  Come on...  we do more for them (keep them employed full time and turn a profit one hopes) than they do for us!

I think if people here actually worked for a software company, they would realize how truly difficult it is to build software and add any amount of features in a timely and bug free fashion.  The complexity involved in doing so is almost mind boggling unless you have unlimited resources and even then that doesn’t solve the problem entirely.

You're making me think you've never actually worked for a software company - or at least not a very good one.  I can't recall any recent software that was bug-free (except maybe some control systems, and even then...) but the complexity of delivering features on time is hardly "mind boggling".

e-head

• World Citizen
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 10:14:28 am »

From a business model view, I think JRiver would best be served by going to a two-tiered user interface. The first tier being an appearance which is tailored to the average Windows user. It would have to be bullet-proof and offer visibility to only the most basic functionality of the program...easy/simple to use yet slightly more feature laden than the other (more used/profitable) available players. The second tier being an 'unrestrained' appearance for those of us that are willing to d**k-around with new settings and are willing to make mistakes that could be disastrous to our libraries.

Good heavens, I would hope JRiver would reasonably protect anyone from making a disastrous mistake to trash their whole library!
;)
If the database goes, that's fine, but not your media library!

I think 2 interfaces would be a major pain in the butt from a programming point of view. You can't be all things to all people. I think the product tries to be balanced, but favors the more advanced users. This is a good niche. There are plenty of idiot-proof music managers out there.

jsimo01

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 11:06:41 am »

I currently use JRiver MC13 for music playback, and I must say it cannot be beaten! However as a UK satellite user I really really really would like to see support for DVB-S2 (HDTV). Ideally would also like to see the tv section run as a service to record while MC is not running!

I am also a user of MediaPortal, I especially like the TVSeries and Moving Pictures plugins, with those in mind is there any chance we may see something like them or their MCE counterparts in MC? This would really make the video section perfect!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 12:10:18 pm »

Another feature request...

Ever considered a (musical) key analysis feature? I'm a hobby DJ and I paid $58 for MixedInKey. All it does is analyse the key and write it to the MP3 tag.

I imagine there's quite a few MC users that do a bit of DJing or are perhaps interested in creating harmonic playlists.  
Interesting idea, tho i wonder if it would require JimH to personally respond as is currently the case with BPMs  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 02:11:48 pm »

I currently use JRiver MC13 for music playback, and I must say it cannot be beaten! However as a UK satellite user I really really really would like to see support for DVB-S2 (HDTV). Ideally would also like to see the tv section run as a service to record while MC is not running!
MC13 can record TV, even wake up the PC to do so, if you run Media Server.  Check the MC options for Startup.

MrHaugen

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 06:01:02 am »

Look at this one:

http://code.google.com/p/streamedmp/wiki/Gallery?tm=6

THIS is something that Theater View should be moving towards :) It looks absolutely stunning!

Daydream

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 02:58:27 pm »

Look at this one:

http://code.google.com/p/streamedmp/wiki/Gallery?tm=6

THIS is something that Theater View should be moving towards :) It looks absolutely stunning!
Major debate pending, just gathering my thoughts, my graphic tablet, my xml editors and my energy to argue. :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 04:35:29 pm »

Don't get me wrong. I like the looks of theater view. But when it comes to showing movie info and TV series, this is something that can be considered. Background images like that on each TV series, and the stylish skin around it all.... Oh my! You'd have to have some sort of "Artist art", or in this case, series art, but it's been asked for so many times. It would be a great adition to MC14 :)

You can't really look through those examples and say it's not darn nice, can you?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 04:45:00 pm »

I can't recall any recent software that was bug-free (except maybe some control systems, and even then...) but the complexity of delivering features on time is hardly "mind boggling".
I hate to argue with you, but you must have a much bigger mind than I do.  I find it mind boggling to look back on all we've done:
http://www.jrmediacenter.com/whitepapers/components.html

Many of those components individually represent multiple months of our time -- sometimes more than a year.

Installed, a single version of MC must be on the order of 30MB or 300 million bits.  Flip any bit and it probably won't work right.  

It's complex enough.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up